Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,070,663 times

Advertisements

Ever heard of the show Teen Mom? In an early season, one of the girls, Amber Portwood, assaulted her fiancé Gary on camera. MTV aired it. The local prosecutor decided to press charges, and from there her life spiraled until she finally went to jail. It does happen.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,052,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
California Criminal Statute of Limitations | Criminal Law
I looked it up for you, In California she probably would be charged with a misdemeanor. That would mean they would have one year since the date of incident. It is past that time period so no they can not prosecute her.
I never got that whole statue of limitations thing. It seems that if you do a crime that it shouldn't matter how long ago it was.

Now if they decide they don't want to prosecute you that would be one thing. But to be safe just because its a day after an arbitrary number just don't make sense.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,329,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I never got that whole statue of limitations thing. It seems that if you do a crime that it shouldn't matter how long ago it was.

Now if they decide they don't want to prosecute you that would be one thing. But to be safe just because its a day after an arbitrary number just don't make sense.
Yes certain crimes like murder there is no statute of limitations. I bet she put it in her book knowing full well that she could not be prosecuted for it. She is admitting a crime. I am sure her lawyers okayed that before it was printed.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,190,867 times
Y'all do realize that newsbuzzdaily.com is a satirical news site, right?

Its contents fall somewhere between that of The Onion and The National Enquirer.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 11-05-2015 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,044,528 times
Duh...Because she is hot.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,980,665 times
If there were no statute of limitations on sexual crimes, many victims would rather wait until their assailants were either dead, or no longer capable of defending themselves. Usually their motive is money, not justice. The target of their lawsuit is not their assailant, but their assailants employer or estate. It happens now, colleges especially, are usually the target when a student has lodged a case with the courts. The male student(s) that may (or may not) have hurt her, are named in the deposition only because they have to be. That they may go to prison or have other lasting effects to their lives is irrelevant. They usually don't have any money. The fact that the college that they all attend does have liquid assets in the multi-hundred-millions of dollars becomes very relevant. Most cases against students are lodged very soon after events. In other areas of life where the men are older, it can take many years for a victim to work up the nerve to lodge a complaint. Dead men are accused of rape all the time and I just don't see how that makes sense. I get that there may be fear or other issues involved, but there is also the issue of justice. Someone dead cannot defend themselves. If we didn't maintain some kind of low bar for a statute of limitations, now six years, up from three... I don't know. Free for all, might be the best way to describe what would soon ensue.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:39 AM

15,596 posts, read 10,605,944 times
" Why doesn't the press vilifly Ronda Rousey for beating up ex boyfriend? "

Because the press doesn't do it's job. Do we even know if it's true though.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 AM

31,372 posts, read 22,352,064 times
He held back. He was a fighter too. A bigger stronger man who is also a trained fighter would easily have the advantage.

" I’m a fighter too. I’m not going to lie and tell you I went down without a fight. I honestly got my ass beat like I was in the cage. Never in my life have I ever hit a woman, but that was all self-defense” DiGorrio explains. "

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,869,272 times
Because double standard.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,200,570 times
Why? Probably because he's also a trained fighter, he never told anyone about this alleged abuse or documented any evidence of it, and bitter EXes are hardly reliable when it comes to the moral character of the person who broke up with them. And it's not like he was a househusband with no income or prospects, feeling forced to stay in an abusive relationship because he would be homeless and penniless without his abuser. Rousey is an exceptional fighter and physically imposing, to be sure, but she's not the Hulk. Part of why she's so dominant in the octagon is because she's fighting other women and there are rules. If I were fighting off Rousey in a home or other non-regulated setting and she got a hold of my arm I would stick my thumb in her eye, or bite her, or pick her up and slam her, or anything.

I chock this up to a loser looking for his 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events