Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:41 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,006,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I gotta tell you...I work in I.T. so almost everywhere I go, at least half of my coworkers are Indians.

They're not offended by Americans co-opting yoga.
Nope.

The reactions I've heard from them include:

"That's strange."
"That's funny."
"Why?"
"Do they know what yoga is for?"
"Good, yoga is good for you."
"They don't pronounce any of the words right."

The reactions I've heard from them have NEVER included:

"I'm offended by that."
Really. They roll their eyes, sigh, or simply shrug at WORST.
I'm Indian myself, and although I don't bash anyone who exercises, I find it funny myself. The thing I find funniest about typical American yoga practices is that most American yoga classes are not really yoga at all; more of a "Yoga Lite," rather like a Pre-Algebra variety of Indian Yoga. Traditional Indian yogic poses are far more difficult than watered down American yoga. The poses are held longer and are more extreme, there are many more poses, and breath control is a central teaching of Indian yoga, while breath control is not as much of a focus in the American variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,854,682 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,368,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm Indian myself, and although I don't bash anyone who exercises, I find it funny myself. The thing I find funniest about typical American yoga practices is that most American yoga classes are not really yoga at all; more of a "Yoga Lite," rather like a Pre-Algebra variety of Indian Yoga. Traditional Indian yogic poses are far more difficult than watered down American yoga. The poses are held longer and are more extreme, there are many more poses, and breath control is a central teaching of Indian yoga, while breath control is not as much of a focus in the American variety.
That's what I've heard from Indian colleagues as well.

When I do yoga (which isn't often), I don't think I'm engaging in a spiritual practice and I know it's nothing like what real Indian yoga is. It's just something to do for my body if I'm feeling a little under the weather or if I'm sore. I generally only do yoga on weekends if I'm tired or if I'm recovering from an illness.

And that's not me saying that yoga is for wussies. No. American yoga is kind of wussy, at least for someone like me who works out for over an hour 5x a week, lifting heavy weights and doing intense HIIT. Those Gaiam yoga videos are pretty tame compared to that.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,566,275 times
Quote:
No. American yoga is kind of wussy
You're not kidding!! Some of these dudes are serious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZUJ4ooSl8

That's a censored one on Youtube... for the real thing, google:

"An Idiot Abroad - Karl meets a real life elephant man" and you can see it in all it's glory on a Daily Motion video. (It's past the elephant man part)

Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,010,010 times
OMFG

Will someone please go and slap these idiots?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,368,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
You're not kidding!! Some of these dudes are serious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZUJ4ooSl8

That's a censored one on Youtube... for the real thing, google:

"An Idiot Abroad - Karl meets a real life elephant man" and you can see it in all it's glory on a Daily Motion video. (It's past the elephant man part)
Go to a yoga studio or watch a Gaiam video...that's the "yoga" most Americans do.

I'm sure there are people out there who can bend themselves into absurd shapes or people who can float to a crow pose from down dog. And I applaud them. But let's be honest...they're a pretty small minority. Most ladies in a yoga studio think they're badass if they can do warrior 3.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,489,636 times
The liberal PC bullcrap needs to stop now, you cannot even make a joke these days without somebody crying it. Toughen up people.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,751,402 times
All I can say to this and sorry if it offends anyone but WTF!!!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:18 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post

They're part of the problem, but the BLC didn't exist when this ridiculous trend started.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM

52,907 posts, read 34,751,425 times
Quote:
I gotta tell you...I work in I.T. so almost everywhere I go, at least half of my coworkers are Indians.

They're not offended by Americans co-opting yoga.

Nope.

The reactions I've heard from them include:

"That's strange."
"That's funny."
"Why?"
"Do they know what yoga is for?"
"Good, yoga is good for you."
"They don't pronounce any of the words right."

The reactions I've heard from them have NEVER included:

"I'm offended by that."

Really. They roll their eyes, sigh, or simply shrug at WORST.

I don't think Indians need student unions deciding FOR them what is offensive and what isn't. They're fully capable of deciding that for themselves. However, most Indians I've met have been so phlegmatic that the SJW probably think they're speechless from PTSD.
indians are rarely raised with the 'eternal victim' mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events