Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,719,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
And righties get their panties in a bunch when they feel that their God is being offended by not putting a snow flake on a coffee cup...
The extreme left and right have more in common than they would care to acknowledge, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 12:56 PM

513 posts, read 544,327 times
This shows how easy life in Canada and the US for most students are when they have to strain the boundaries of reason to find something to be "offended" by....

Old 11-26-2015, 02:52 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,616,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The extreme left and right have more in common than they would care to acknowledge, lol.

So very true!

Old 11-26-2015, 04:05 PM

12,512 posts, read 8,290,324 times
So if I am following this. Some Christians think yoga is bad because of a link to another faith. And the students think it is wrong because by selling it as simply exercise to the non believers the cultural expression of a religious faith is being suppressed

Old 11-26-2015, 04:28 PM

15,687 posts, read 10,484,093 times
If "cultural appropriation" means people from one country are not allowed to use and apply something originated in another country then all other countries outside of the USA need to quit using the Polio vaccine, an American invention.

Now isn't that silly?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,998,216 times
It's no different than wearing blackface, or buying tickets to The Three Amigos. I'll be voting for M. Clinton or M. Sanders because either will bring more awareness and sensitivity to the fact that we can't appropriate others' cultures lightly.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,212,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
So if I am following this. Some Christians think yoga is bad because of a link to another faith. And the students think it is wrong because by selling it as simply exercise to the non believers the cultural expression of a religious faith is being suppressed
Yes, fundie Christians sometimes object to yoga if it's more than the stretching exercises, but in this case it seems to be Muslims. Hinduism (which gave birth to yoga, which is a set of psycho/spiritual/physical exercises) is a form of polytheism, which is condemned by the koran - Hindus are considered to be somewhat less than human, while Jews and Christians rank higher as monotheistic "people of the Book".

It's simply a pretense to imply their actions in trying to stop yoga on British Christia colonialism - Hindus don't mind westerners borrowing from their practices any more than Christians would. Muslims did a LOT more colonization, intolerance, and genocide in India than the Brits did.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,384,597 times
Did any of you even read the article beyond the headline?

1. This did NOT happen in the U.S.A.
2. The classes were NOT university classes.
3. The classes were only suspended while the person who runs the center investigates who is complaining and why. Nothing has been actually CANCELLED to date.
4. Only one person complaining about these classes being "suspended" and she is the person who was teaching the classes (therefore potentially the cause of whatever the problem is).

When this RUMOR bears actual fruit and this kind of thing happens somewhere besides Ottawa, Canada, then I will get hysterical. Until then, I will assume that someone has an agenda and this is a made-up problem.

But but but ... I know some of you are so desperate for news of political correctness run amok this article must have seemed like manna from heaven to you.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 AM

513 posts, read 544,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Did any of you even read the article beyond the headline?

1. This did NOT happen in the U.S.A.
2. The classes were NOT university classes.
3. The classes were only suspended while the person who runs the center investigates who is complaining and why. Nothing has been actually CANCELLED to date.
4. Only one person complaining about these classes being "suspended" and she is the person who was teaching the classes (therefore potentially the cause of whatever the problem is).

When this RUMOR bears actual fruit and this kind of thing happens somewhere besides Ottawa, Canada, then I will get hysterical. Until then, I will assume that someone has an agenda and this is a made-up problem.

But but but ... I know some of you are so desperate for news of political correctness run amok this article must have seemed like manna from heaven to you.

Ease back from the edge of your ivory tower, Capt. Privileged.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events