Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the reference. This would be 33,839 arrests from 1977 to present. According to the table most of the incidents occurred between 19977 and 1994. I see this as good news as incidents are way down according to the chart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And people wonder why I lost respect in S.E. Cupp for thinking rhetoric isn't the problem.
Rhetoric isn't the problem. A tinfoil hatter can snap for any reason.

Remember the guy from Baltimore who drove to NYC one day and assassinated two cops on their lunch break last year? Did he really do that because of #BLM rhetoric?

Old 12-01-2015, 09:35 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I got the idea that you were at least nominally replying to me by the fact that you quoted my posts in your replies. There are "plenty of people" who believe in UFO's and that Tupac faked his own death, and all that is irrelevant.

I understand that you need to prop up the bogeyman of pro-lifers being anti-birth control, but most are quite normal.

Most people practice birth control of one kind of another, at one time or another, and most people are against abortion, and most people are not extremists.

The percentage of Americans who are pro-choice exceeds those who are anti-abortion:

Americans Choose "Pro-Choice" for First Time in Seven Years

This is the problem:

Bob Beauprez's IUD remark in debate generates controversy - The Denver Post

"The organization supporting Colorado's personhood amendment, which would grant legal protections to fetuses, cheered Beauprez's remarks, saying, 'It's great to see a candidate for governor come out against abortion-causing IUDs.'"

Fortunately, Beauprez lost the election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/op...tion.html?_r=0

"Virtually every major group opposed to abortion takes the position that life begins at fertilization. Any method of contraception that 'may prevent implantation if fertilization does occur,' in this view, amounts to the termination of a human life."

"Jim Sedlak, vice president of the American Life League, outlined this position in an email responding to my inquiry:

Every human being begins life at Stage 1a — the beginning of the process of fertilization. According to the manufacturer, one of the methods of operation of the IUD is to prevent implantation of an already created human being. This results in the death of that human being. Most reasonable people recognize this as an abortion. The morning after pill is basically a megadose of regular birth control pills. The manufacturers of these products state that they work some of the time by inhibiting implantation. Thus, yes, it is an abortifacient."

Colorado Debates Whether IUDs Are Contraception Or Abortion : Shots - Health News : NPR

A Colorado program reduced teen pregnancy rates by 40% and a 32% drop in teen abortions by providing free contraceptives, including IUDs. That made the pro-lifers unhappy.

"'This crosses a line,' says Republican Kevin Lundberg, who chairs the Senate Health Committee in Colorado. In Lundberg's view, an IUD can count as an abortion, and this makes it impossible for a program that funds IUDs to receive state funding. 'The state constitution says no direct or indirect funding from the state shall go towards abortion,' Lundberg says."

The legislature refused to fund the program.

Colo. won't fund birth-control initiative despite success

"Armed with a national award for excellence, state health officials asked lawmakers this spring to provide $5 million to keep it going but were rebuffed.

Colorado officials say the program saved taxpayers $80 million in Medicaid costs they would have otherwise paid to care for new mothers and their children.

The Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment on July 1 formally asked the public for money to keep CFPI going.

"'Making sure Colorado women have access to safe and effective contraception is an investment in their futures and ours,' Dr. Larry Wolk, the CDPHE executive director and the state's chief medical officer, said in a statement.

But critics of the state funding for the program say national teen birth and abortion rates have been falling nearly as sharply as Colorado's. Abortion opponents often criticize IUDs as 'abortifacients' because in rare cases an egg can become fertilized but cannot implant."

I stand by my statement that the pro-life movement significantly impedes access to effective methods of contraception due to ignorance about the way contraceptives work. You may not believe that IUDs cause abortions, but plenty of people do. Not only do they not want to use them, they do not want anyone to do so.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Remember Josh Feuerstein? He was the guy who launched the tantrum over the red Starbucks cups (part of this year's installment of whining over a non-existent War on Christmas). Anyway, he supports the killing of people who work at Planned Parenthood clinics.
"Josh Feuerstein urges his followers..." What?! He has followers? What a crazy world. I'm still not sure how he got 15 minutes in the first place.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So what was the weapon he used and where did he obtain it? All I've seen was that it was" initially thought to be a long gun", then it was assumed to be an assault style rifle. That was just as it happened. Then days later, nothing. I hate it when they sit on the facts of some of these cases and with others they go crazy with every last bit of minutiae they can report. Also, has anybody wondered if the reason he moved to Colorado or at least owned property there was because they legalized pot? They've tried to dig up some instances where he spoke against abortion and was against Obama, but haven't released much of his backstory and what there is of it doesn't really make anything clear about him. Other than he was crazy. Come on, media. Stop sucking.
One of the reasons they are not releasing much info is evident from this very thread - 28 pages of political, religious, and partisan nonsense, focused on unrelated issues rather than the actual crime and/or the victims (for the most part).

Now, I am all for the release of available information to the public - because one can learn from it - but the media exploits it and misreports it; politicians and others with an agenda in turn hijack it; social media then turns into a bizzare circus exceeding what it is even now; and other crazies use it as an example and we have "copy cat" crimes.

The true conclusion appears to be indeed one single motive and one single fact - he was crazy, looney tunes. This is evident in that even the press, eager to capitalize on any and all information, even if it's not reliable, aren't really coming up with much. Why don't we have a 28 page discussion on mental health issues in this country?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The buildings are paid for with taxpayer dollars, doctors are employed with taxpayer dollars. Abortion takes place within the buildings. Abortion is yes indirectly subsidized by taxpayer dollars. Taxpayers do indeed have a say where tax dollars go. They exercise that say when they vote for representatives.

If someone pays for your kitchen that effects the dollars spent on the rest of the house when buying. Is that a confusing concept?

It is physically impossible for PP to avoid use of taxpayer dollars on abortions. At least not while using the same facilities, doctors, name brand etc.
Everybody is opposed to something that their tax money is paying for. WAR is the first one that comes to mind. That one kills lots of actual living and breathing human beings. Amazingly, the same people who trip over themselves to save embryos and fetal tissue have zero problem sending live human beings to be murdered overseas. Go figure.

Bottom line is, everything is not about YOU and what YOU want. It's about what the MAJORITY has VOTED FOR. That is what DEMOCRACY is. You are making an argument for a DICTATORSHIP where you get to make the decisions for everyone. You will need to move to South America if that's the kind of government you are looking for.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Everybody is opposed to something that their tax money is paying for. WAR is the first one that comes to mind. That one kills lots of actual living and breathing human beings. Amazingly, the same people who trip over themselves to save embryos and fetal tissue have zero problem sending live human beings to be murdered overseas. Go figure.

Bottom line is, everything is not about YOU and what YOU want. It's about what the MAJORITY has VOTED FOR. That is what DEMOCRACY is. You are making an argument for a DICTATORSHIP where you get to make the decisions for everyone. You will need to move to South America if that's the kind of government you are looking for.
I am not saying PP should be defunded. What I am saying is that so long as PP engages in such controversial business its funding will be at risk. I am not expressing my opinion on PP but pointing out the reality of its situation. Perhaps a re reading of my comments is in order?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
My husband thinks that the movement is about keeping women down...and in their place. If he is correct, who are we to criticize Islam for its treatment of women? We are but steps away from a right wing Christian Caliphate .....
Your husband is right

Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
It does yes. However the indirect subsidy is much more direct and clear than in your example.
Why did you quote the first paragraph of that post and ignore this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But if you want to stick to your story about PP receiving federal money for abortions, here's some reading material for you:

And here’s why, in the case of Planned Parenthood and federal funding, money is not necessarily fungible. Thanks to numerous federal and state laws and regulations saying Planned Parenthood clinics cannot spend federal Medicaid dollars on abortion, and a ruling in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals Planned Parenthood clinics in Texas (and some other states)* that provide abortion are separate legal entities, entirely independent of Planned Parenthood clinics that provide all other services. They have separate tax ID numbers, separate articles of incorporation, separate insurance policies, separate everything. Including separate bank accounts. They do not share funds. If you give $100 to Planned Parenthood Center for Choice, an abortion provider, it goes into a completely different bank account than $100 given to Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, and vice versa. So, while in some instances, money can be fungible, in the instance of Planned Parenthood clinics and federal funding, money is decidedly and factually not fungible".

Republicans who tout the "money is fungible" line want you to imagine that Planned Parenthood draws on one big pot of government money for all its services. But since medical services are billed and funded individually, that's not actually how this works. For instance, if subsidies that discount contraception disappear, the price of contraception goes up, but the price of abortion will stay the same.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are enough who do believe that some contraceptives cause abortion to create problems with access of some people to those methods.
The 'some people' who don't have access to bc due to someone else's actions are miniscule, if there actually are any. Lack of access itself is barely an issue compared with the sexmates failure to consistently use bc they do have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events