Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that the rules changed to create larger payouts but I think it's a mistake. Most people couldn't handle 5 million - 1.5 billion actually sounds irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM

932 posts, read 898,566 times
Lottery is rigged. They will NOT let a normal citizen win this much money! Also I can almost gurantee you the winner will be in a anonymous state. Jackpot is rigged and they will take that money. Lottery has and or still rigged. officials have just quit and retired over this scandal. One person was tried and convicted

Last edited by key2success; 01-12-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 01:33 PM

932 posts, read 898,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I doubt the MUSL will do that at all. You'll need to physically buy the tickets. If they let you do that then it breaks the entire game.

To buy every 292 million combination would take 584 million since its $2 each.

EVEN NOW at 930 million cash sum it's not enough to make a progfit.

930 million - 39.6% tax (lets even assume we live in a state that has no lotto/income tax) = 561 million dollars.

So congratulations you just spent 584 million to make 561 million...why not just cut a check of 23 million to the IRS and be done with it?

Dude you can go broke even with this much. Yachts, the biggest Hampton/Beverly Hills homes, etc.

Also at this level you're not as much worried about money as you need to worry about your life....kidnapping/ransom/scammers/etc. every crook/crazy/conspiracy nut/etc. will come out of the woodwork.

The jackpot winners in the past have told stories of thousands of phone calls, mailings, and tons tons of pleas from people all over the world.....crazy new inventions, investment opportunities, sob stories, cancer, etc. etc.
You forgot to add that if a rich person bought all the combinations for 561 million, his 561 million will now be apart of the jackpot. So its like 1.4 billion now, if he bought all the combinations jackpot now would be close to 2 billion because it will include the 584 million he spent to get his tickets!!!!!

Its a win win. I dont see why some rich person would do that.

The tickets purchase money can be written off I believe . If 1 other person wins it is still pure profit or break even.

And no, you will never go broke with 500 million. Living off on interest alone can net around 50 million a year. Theoretically yes anybody can, realistically nobody will go broke

Old 01-12-2016, 01:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Wow. You would think with all the people that bought tickets before last nights draw that SOMEBODY would have hit it.
Its all about odds, an analogy i like to use to remind me of the futility of lotteries like this one is, put your phone number in a big drum along with 300 million other phone numbers,mix em all up put your hand in and pull out your number,didnt get it? how about trying again every minute of your life,still no luck? thats where you are at with 300million to 1 odds. Meanwhile the government laughs all the way to the bank.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I don't need to call the lottery office to ask that or if the sky is blue. Any business entity would bend over backwards for a legitimate 9-figure revenue through a single transaction. That includes the lottery commission.

If you think it would destroy the game if anyone did that, no way. Buying lottery tickets doesn't edge out anyone else from winning. And as an added bonus, we could laugh as that "investor" has to split their winnings and lose big.

The house always wins. Always.
Sure, they'd love to have that revenue. But can they logistically pull off printing out all the numbers is the question.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
exactly. You think it is coincidence that Heffner put up the Playboy mansion for sale for 200 million? Watch some moron win the powerball and immediately buy this from Heff for asking price.
It would be tempting if it wasn't for the fact that a smelly old guy comes with it.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Lottery is rigged. They will NOT let a normal citizen win this much money! Also I can almost gurantee you the winner will be in a anonymous state. Jackpot is rigged and they will take that money. Lottery has and or still rigged. officials have just quit and retired over this scandal. One person was tried and convicted
Yes it is, unless I win, it is rigged.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't get having all that stuff. A cabin some where something small & some land. Maybe a new Mustang MAYBE I've always wanted one. More money to camp/hike, travel & that would be staying in camp grounds. There would be A LOT of money left for my wife's kids & their kids. We would give a lot of money to pet shelters!
I used to think I wanted all that stuff. The older I get the more I realize that it's just stuff and that most of it would just sit there gathering dust.

I used to want 20 million dollar homes, one for summer and one for winter. Now I really want at the very most a 750K home (that buys a lot in my area). I used to want a Bentley for half a mil now I want a Land Rover that costs about 100k. Etc etc etc.

For some reason, I used to think that having a lot of money would change my personality. I finally realized that I'm still gonna be me. Introvert who never has parties and seldom has house guests, so one guest bedroom is all I need. Plus if you have a huge mansion, cleaning and maintenance crews are gonna be there several times a week which I would HATE. Cars get scratches, and some petty people single out extremely expensive cars to deliberately damage which would upset me. So get a car I don't mind scratching and that petty people wouldn't target. I don't like the attention a billionaire's car would draw anyway.

Yeah, I've pared my "wants" down a whole lot from when I was 20.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Given that I'm in an anonymous state, I really hope you're right; limiting the jackpot to the states where winners can claim anonymously will definitely improve my odds!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:20 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
NPR radio interview with 2005 220 million $ Powerball winner . Interesting interview.

NPR Media Player
The guy interviewed here sounds like a smart man. Except for one thing that he even addressed: taking the ticket into a store to see if you won. DON'T DO THAT.

I'm always amazed that people do that. I would never want to be standing in a store with other people (most likely strangers) and find out I won big. Lottery numbers can be checked in the privacy of your home, car, etc., by going on-line or making a phone call. Easy enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events