Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
The guy interviewed here sounds like a smart man. Except for one thing that he even addressed: taking the ticket into a store to see if you won. DON'T DO THAT.

I'm always amazed that people do that. I would never want to be standing in a store with other people (most likely strangers) and find out I won big. Lottery numbers can be checked in the privacy of your home, car, etc., by going on-line or making a phone call. Easy enough!
Yes, and there are some clerks who can spot a person who doesn't know what they have, and tell them the ticket isn't a winner, or tell them it won $4 then cash in the big win for themselves. In my state they're not required to give you a receipt saying how much the ticket is worth.

ALWAYS check it yourself and know how much it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Yes, and there are some clerks who can spot a person who doesn't know what they have, and tell them the ticket isn't a winner, or tell them it won $4 then cash in the big win for themselves. In my state they're not required to give you a receipt saying how much the ticket is worth.

ALWAYS check it yourself and know how much it's worth.
Forget normal persons, for that much, even monks and popes may have evil thought if they see the winning ticket with someone.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:35 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Well, I was going to buy some lottery tickets but then thought that I could buy a half gallon of chocolate ice cream instead. Tough choice. But after more thought bought the ice cream instead. It'll last us for a few days and is a much better buy than useless tickets.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I've actually thought about what I would do if I were to win the lottery, as if that's ever going to happen.

Step one: Secure the ticket, tell no one, and continue my daily routine.
Step two: Find an attorney and create a blind trust to receive the prize anonymously.
Step three: Claim the prize as an annuity rather than a lump sum.
Step four: Create trusts for my children.
Step five: Sit on the money until my last child is out of college.
Step six: Quietly disappear and live a comfortable but not ostentatious life. (I already know where I would go.)
Step seven: Give generously to causes that are meaningful to me.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 PM

932 posts, read 899,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
The guy interviewed here sounds like a smart man. Except for one thing that he even addressed: taking the ticket into a store to see if you won. DON'T DO THAT.

I'm always amazed that people do that. I would never want to be standing in a store with other people (most likely strangers) and find out I won big. Lottery numbers can be checked in the privacy of your home, car, etc., by going on-line or making a phone call. Easy enough!

If you check it int he store up to a certain amount it doesnt say how much you won. It will just say winner contact lottery. I think that is for $5,000 and up

Old 01-12-2016, 02:43 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've actually thought about what I would do if I were to win the lottery, as if that's ever going to happen.

Step two: Find an attorney and create a blind trust to receive the prize anonymously.
Step six: Quietly disappear and live a comfortable but not ostentatious life. (I already know where I would go.)
At least we can dream until it's over.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM

932 posts, read 899,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

Nope, Im telling everyone via social media

Nope i dont need any attorneys at all

Nope lump sum ASAP

Yep

No way, im spending close to 100 Million my first year

Nope, Just move to a rich area around other rich people

Not sure

My step eight:

Give my direct family 15-20 million each
my response above

Old 01-12-2016, 04:04 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
If you check it int he store up to a certain amount it doesnt say how much you won. It will just say winner contact lottery. I think that is for $5,000 and up
My original point was: why not just check your numbers in private? Why not know exactly how much money you won before you contact the lottery.

Also, all states have different machines. I know in Minnesota in addition to the big machine that spits out the tickets there are these nifty little gadgets on the counter that allows the customer to scan their own ticket. Then it reads out on the little screen either. Not A Winner, or what dollar amount (although I don't know how high the dollar amount would read on that device). I asked the owner of my little town store if that gadget beeps if it is a big winner and he said no, but that his big machine beeps.

Personally, I would not be able to wipe the shyt-eating grin off my face so I prefer to be home for that! That would allow me to do my happy dance, too!

P.S. All I really want is a $1 million prize.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
I would take the annual payments. 37 million a year after taxes for 30 years. 700 million lump sum is way too much for me to handle at once.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Another one!
Dang, no wonder US is at the bottom in math skills because of contributions from you and the likes.

Brat: U.S. math and science scores rank "at the bottom" of industrialized countries | PolitiFact Virginia
Yet we call everyone else inferior and low intelligence. Americans are to busy beating their chests instead of competing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events