Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Mystery123, did we just post the same exact thing? ;-)
Haha... I didn't even see that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post

A real bad news will be if there are more than one winners and need to share plus how/where to buy 292 million tickets???
One additional winner would sink your ship. Two would bury you, and three would mean that every penny you earned for the rest of your life would go toward your loss.

Plop down $2. Enjoy the rush. Move on with your life.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:01 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I was being sarcastic. Buy the new Corolla and set it on fire.
Ha-ha! I got your sarcasm right away and thought it was funny and strange that it went over some people's heads. I appreciated your sarcasm.

"Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm." --Anonymous

Last edited by geebabe; 01-11-2016 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
One additional winner would sink your ship. Two would bury you, and three would mean that every penny you earned for the rest of your life would go toward your loss.

Plop down $2. Enjoy the rush. Move on with your life.
Or somehow missed one combination in that 292 million tickets and unfortunately that wins.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:44 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:
Very interesting news on this:

Could you buy every Powerball combination and guarantee yourself a jackpot? | FOX31 Denver
Invest $584 million in 292 million tickets for all possible combinations so you are guaranteed to win.

NEW YORK — Could you game the system and guarantee yourself a $1.4 billion Powerball jackpot?

A real bad news will be if there are more than one winners and need to share plus how/where to buy 292 million tickets???
I read a story somewhere a few years back about someone doing this. It was fiction but the logistics of doing just that was interesting. It had to do with splitting up the investment cash between quiet a few "buyers" who went to hundreds (if not thousands) of retailers all over the country with their specific list of numbers to buy. There would be a time crunch to accomplish buying that many specific numbers (to buy ~300 million numbers in 72 hours you would have to buy over 4 million tickets and hour). If one buyer could buy 1,000 tickets an hour that would take over 4,000 buyers every hour for 72 hours. Buying specific numbers is a lot more time consuming than buying computer generated numbers.

All these people have to be trust worthy and most likely paid. Obviously the winning ticket(s) need to get to the right hands in time for turn in.

The logistics would be complicated at best.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:
Haha... I didn't even see that link.
I'm playing our time stamps & post numbers on those 2 posts for my Powerball numbers! =D

Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm playing our time stamps & post numbers on those 2 posts for my Powerball numbers! =D
Let's split the winnings.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
With $1.3B, you could give every American around $4M
You got that from the stupid facebook post going around.

What cracks me up is people actually believe this is accurate. As others have easily pointed out. It would warrant a trip to Taco Bell because you would only get about 4 bucks. And to think that the people who honestly thought this was accurate math are happy to vote and want $15 an hour.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I read a story somewhere a few years back about someone doing this. It was fiction but the logistics of doing just that was interesting. It had to do with splitting up the investment cash between quiet a few "buyers" who went to hundreds (if not thousands) of retailers all over the country with their specific list of numbers to buy. There would be a time crunch to accomplish buying that many specific numbers (to buy ~300 million numbers in 72 hours you would have to buy over 4 million tickets and hour). If one buyer could buy 1,000 tickets an hour that would take over 4,000 buyers every hour for 72 hours. Buying specific numbers is a lot more time consuming than buying computer generated numbers.

All these people have to be trust worthy and most likely paid. Obviously the winning ticket(s) need to get to the right hands in time for turn in.

The logistics would be complicated at best.
Well, technically you could just walk into the lottery commission office and say "hi, here's $584 million. I win."

Then you wait to collect the winnings for matching every combination, after subtracting the split from whoever else matched every number.

Whether that results in any kind of profit is another story...

Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Here is another take on it:

Jackpot could reach 1.3 billion

1.3 billion divided by the US population of 319 million is a tad over 4 million for every person in the USA.

In on fell swoop we could end poverty, hunger, homelessness.

Of course 93% of the population would quit work and the economy would go to crap and a loaf of bread would probably cost $1,000 within 3 days.

But its a nice thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events