Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 05:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Honestly, while I'd probably fall over dead if I won the "big one" I'd be happy to hit 5 out of 6, or 4 plus PB.
Heck, I'd be happy to win $100!
I did hit $4 on the last go-round which funded my next chance.

As long as people are aware that odds are you're going to wake up the day after the drawing with nothing extra and that the lottery is just another tax with the profits going into the pockets of those in charge it's all good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
I'm going to take a big dump on this thread and spoil it for all of you guys:

The lottery is a scam.

I know a few employees. They all tell me anytime you see a big winner (anything more than $100k) televised it's nothing more than a staged advertisement. They have data on where in the country the most lottery players reside, where there is potential for more sales, and where sales will always slump. Every time a big winner is announced subsequent sales go up in that "winners" area so they increase profits where a town's spending potential can be upped. Places where lottery spending is consistent will always stay that way regardless if someone from that area ever "wins" or not. The data tells them this.

Think i'm full of it? There's much more deceptive things being staged on your news channel than some stupid lottery money grab.

Here is a glitch....... I bought my tickets 100 miles from where I live and would never even show up at lottery HQ......lawyer from a local firm in the state capitol would and it would be collected in a trust.

Not much to report on folks, keep moving and certainly play again because I took your money this week!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Well the jackpot is the world record annnnnnnnnd the Playboy mansion is for sale (200 million) for the first time in over 40 years!

6 numbers.....check
cleaning supplies......check
Party for another 40 years.....check!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2491035

Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
200 million to buy the Playboy mansion, plus 800 million to clean it?

But your best odds are to not buy a lottery ticket and instead just go out and wish upon a star. People sometimes get incredibly lucky that way. For all you know, not buying a lottery ticket might make you luckier. When you get luck from the celestial powers that be, it's more likely to be the kind of luck you need. When you get luck from the lottery, it's more likely to be a curse, such as if someone murders you for your money.

If you went out before dawn this morning, and wished upon a star, you would not only get incredibly lucky, but also incredibly cold.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:02 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Oakwood View Post
Most lotteries have a rule that once the ticket is printed, it is nonrefundable. While that doesn't excuse the woman's actions of putting back food instead of booze and cigs, it means that if she were to say "oh, I can't afford the lottery tickets" it means the store is on the hook for it. That would anger the clerk and justify banning the woman from shopping there again.
Oh, there was a case like that in S Dakota a few years back....not a huge pot, but the person did not want the ticket AFTER it was printed, so the clerk on duty was "responsible" to buy it. For some reason the money for the ticket was not taken out of the clerks pay (as was the case, small mom and pop type store) and it WON! The owner and the clerk FOUGHT over who it belonged to....if memory serves me correctly, they were forced by the court to split it.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Are there any jackpot winners on city-data?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Working on it!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There have been some people in this thread that won big... check back a few pages for their stories.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
So you really think the people saying you are wrong believe that if you have 2 tickets the odds that each ticket is the right one increase?

What you are trying to describe would be the equivalent to buying a losing ticket and then making sure you buy a different ticket for the next drawing. The combinations drawn are replaced so the odds of 1 combination will never change, regardless if it's never been drawn, was drawn last week, or was drawn 5x in the last year.

What? If you spend $10/month for 30 years and assume it could be compounded at 10% it's not 2k, its 22k. Hell if you just spend 120/yr for 30 years that's 3.6k which is > than 2k.
The "Interest" is only $2,000, not the total amount. The point is, if you're worried about squirreling about $10 a month for 30 years to make $2000, then you've got other financial issues....

Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The point is, if you're worried about squirreling about $10 a month for 30 years to make $2000, then you've got other financial issues....
exactly.. hence why the lottery is called the redneck retirement fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events