Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

I heard on the local radio today that the animal in the video is turning himself in to police.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:38 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I heard on the local radio today that the animal in the video is turning himself in to police.
Good I hope he enjoys prison life. I hope he is a helpless victim like that old man was. Maybe then he will learn his lesson!!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,004 times
Video has gone bye bye.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:38 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Video has gone bye bye.
Hmmm wonder why????

Old 02-08-2016, 04:05 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Video has gone bye bye.
It's on other websites. New Jersey teen allegedly involved in 'knockout game' Facebook video turns himself in | abc30.com

Wonder who started this ridiculous "knockout game" phrase? These are vicious unprovoked assaults and there's no game to it. If some as***le walks into a room and opens fire do we now trivialize that by calling it the "murder game"?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't think that any reasonable person would disagree that swift justice should be carried out, with the offender receiving the maximum legally permissible punishment for his crime, following conviction.

Where we apparently differ is in our belief that the Eighth Amendment to our Constitution would make it legally impossible to carry out "severe beating" as a punishment. Any judge who would enact that type of punishment would simply be setting-up the governmental entity that carried out that punishment for an incredibly easy win by the offender when he subsequently filed suit for having been subjected to an "unusual" punishment, which is clearly prohibited by the Eighth Amendment.

The Constitution of The United States of America is not a salad bar where one gets to selectively choose which parts to uphold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am not a "Lib". I personally am disgusted by supporters of both parties who treat our elections as if they are a sports event. Blindly backing their chosen party and insulting those of the other without understanding or caring about the real issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
What's with this "all or nothing" mentality of some of the posters here?

If you commit a crime (any crime, from what it seems like on CD), should the response automatically be death? Yeesh, glad some of you aren't in charge.

It's nice to see some level-headed posts. We need more of this.

Unfortunately, some folks here don't have the capability to break free of their extreme black & white thinking. They have no desire to engage in a civil, productive conversation, and only want to post the same old divisive crybaby drivel about Libs, Obama, 'real Americans', and putting 'animals' down.

I've been following this Paterson knockout game drama on social media, and a good portion of the people who called in tips, and posted these 2 fools' information online, imploring the Paterson police to find them already, and calling for the strictest of punishment possible, are the very Libs that people on this thread are shaking their fist at a cloud about. It's mostly people in the Paterson community that were outraged enough to make this go viral. How do people think this video went viral, and into the hands of Paterson police, in the first place? Because people in these 2 imbeciles' network of thousands of 'friends' saw the video and got pissed off.

But I know. It's still Obama's fault. THANKS OBAMA.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's on other websites. New Jersey teen allegedly involved in 'knockout game' Facebook video turns himself in | abc30.com

Wonder who started this ridiculous "knockout game" phrase? These are vicious unprovoked assaults and there's no game to it. If some as***le walks into a room and opens fire do we now trivialize that by calling it the "murder game"?
I don't think the name "knockout game" is meant to trivialize the crime. I think it's meant to highlight the role that internet and social networking plays into it. It's the social networking part of it that makes it a game...an internet game. The whole point of the "knockout game", at least in the age of social networking, is to take video of the unprovoked assault and post it to social media and other shock entertainment sites, in order to garner internet attention, cred, laughs, friend requests, likes, shares, and possibly fame. That is why these teenagers all have completely public Facebook pages with THOUSANDS of friends. Another popular past time is to immediately start recording when a fight breaks out, and to stand around like hyenas egging it on gleefully...any kind of fight...cafeteria fight, schoolyard fight, playground fight, street fight, public transportation fight. And then, of course, to post that violent golden nugget to all your social media, and watch all the "OMG", "WTF", and "LOL" responses roll in.

Really, it should come as no surprise. Grown adults with advanced degrees were dumping buckets of ice water on themselves not too long ago, and proudly posting video of it to Facebook. Obviously, that internet game certainly was not in any way illegal, violent, or bad, per se...it was for charity, I believe. HOWEVER, the point is that there is a sort of mob mentality with these kinds of trends/games on the internet, and there is this thirst to constantly be posting these 'LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" videos and selfies for everyone to see...even for grown adults!

The knockout game in this age is a violent version of that. I'm not saying that it would not exist if the internet did not exist, but I do think that social media attention is the main motivator for this incarnation of the game.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Does it make me a racist that the first thing that came to my mind was I said "It must have been a young black guy" that did this. Don't answer that question because it's a rhetorical question

and yes the perp was just as I figured, a young black male which falls into the demographic of such behavior while labeling it a game. Then the perp urrr I mean young scholar posts the video on his Facebook account for the entire world to see. Goes without saying that he was dumb enough to do the crime but even dumber to post it so the authorities now have all the evidence they need to prosecute him.
I don't think you're racist for assuming that, given the circumstances.

However, while the 16 year-old holding the camera and shouting "KNOCK HIM OUT" is black, the 17 year-old doing the punching is Latino. I'm guessing Puerto Rican.

The victim also appears to be Latino. Certainly can't speak English. Probably an immigrant...legal status questionable. (Why else has he not come forward to report the crime?) Colombian or Peruvian from the looks of him. I would have thought that would make the Trump supporters on this thread happy, but apparently, they want vigilante justice for him! It's almost heart warming.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I wonder if facebook will kick him off the site?? (I dont thnk they even like this kind of behaviour)

Poor guy
Facebook did not kick either of these 2 off the site. The 16 year-old's account is still active (and public). The 17 year-old (the one who did the punching, and the one who posted the video to his page) deleted his account of his own volition. I don't think Facebook is going to kick the 16 year-old off the site because he's not the one that posted the video.

In my opinion, the fact that the 16 year-old has not taken his page down (or even made it private) speaks to his hubris, lack of remorse, and lack of getting it through his hard head that what he did was even wrong.

The 17 year-old only deleted his account because he got scared. But the fact that these kids would post something like that, PUBLICLY, just goes to show the cavalier attitude about that kind of violence, as well as the arrogance.

Paterson needs to make examples out of both of them to send the message that this is a serious crime, not funny, and will not be tolerated by society. I hope they get the maximum punishment.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Violent or graphic content
It's not okay to post violent or gory content that's primarily intended to be shocking, sensational, or disrespectful...
Quote:
Hateful content
Our products are platforms for free expression. But we don't support content that promotes or condones violence against individuals or groups based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity...
Quote:
Threats
Things like predatory behavior, stalking, threats, harassment, intimidation, invading privacy, revealing other people's personal information, and inciting others to commit violent acts or to violate the Terms of Use are taken very seriously...
The postings of this video to YouTube were done by random people, OTHER than the 2 a-holes that made the video. The 17 year-old that did the punching posted the video to his Facebook page. And no, Facebook did not delete the video either. The 17 year-old deleted his entire Facebook account, after the video had gone viral and the death threats started flooding in.

But as we all know, anything you post to the internet and Facebook is forever, and so random people already had copies of the video and were posting it on YouTube for all kinds of reasons...for kicks, because it's sensational, and also for internet vigilantism...with the phone numbers & addresses of the 16 year-old camera guy, and the 17 year-old puncher, and their family members, inciting people to go play the knock out game with their parents, and such.

You are entitled to your opinion that these 2 ass-clowns need to be "put down", but as far as internet policy goes on most websites (including this one) it is against the rules to post people's personal information (this is called 'doxing'). And that is another major reason YouTube took the videos down.

But it's not like the video has been scrubbed from the entirety of the internet. Every single network news website and news blog covering this story has the video posted on top of the article. So why is the video allowed to remain there, but not on YouTube? Because on the news websites, the video accompanies a factual news article, as opposed to on YouTube, where the description either reads "LOL SO FUNNY" or "Someone find these 2 animals and their parents and put them down. They live at 123 Elm Street and their phone number is 973-555-1234."

Please let that sink in before you go around embarrassing yourselves further that this is some liberal lame stream media conspiracy cooked up by Obama.

Last edited by mjlo; 02-09-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events