Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times

Advertisements

I have to say I'm siding with Apple, terrorists or no.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about Why You Should Care About Apple

A letter from Tim Cook on the matter Customer Letter - Apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:26 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I think Apple should unlock the phone FOR the FBI at an Apple facility. The phones owner is dead. The phones owner committed a terrorist act. The Phone may have clues to others involved.

Notice how I did NOT say Apple should give the FBI the code to crack the phone. Giving the code would have serious privacy issues. Taking the phone and giving the FBI access to that particular phone needs to be done.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:26 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I am cursed with the ability to understand both sides of a situation.

I understand the government's urgency to get information from that phone.

I also understand Apple's reluctance to open the phone up.

Here are the facts I have heard so far for Apple's refusal:

They currently have no software to do what the FBI wants.
They don't want to create that software because it will get out eventually and everyone's phones will be hackable.
Citizen's rights to privacy.

I'm not really sure Apple is telling the truth, though, about not having the program to unlock the phone...

On the FBI's side:

The information could stop a terrorist attack and save lives.
Terrorists presently unknown to the FBI could be captured.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times
I saw this in today's rag. Here comes a conspiracy theory ... ready ... wait for it ... this is eyewash. Am I to believe that the FBI is incapable of breaking an encrypted cell phone code? Too late for the pants legs, call a boat. This is intended for the muzzie's to drop their guard. It's also cover for them to make up another reason to track the names/numbers they got off the assassin's phone. I believe this story ... NOT.

One man's opinion.

El Nox

Old 02-17-2016, 02:31 PM

185 posts, read 242,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I saw this in today's rag. Here comes a conspiracy theory ... ready ... wait for it ... this is eyewash. Am I to believe that the FBI is incapable of breaking an encrypted cell phone code? Too late for the pants legs, call a boat. This is intended for the muzzie's to drop their guard. It's also cover for them to make up another reason to track the names/numbers they got off the assassin's phone. I believe this story ... NOT.

One man's opinion.

El Nox
What exactly are you saying in the bolded, I think you might have went over my head a little.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I think that if I ignored a Court order my ass would end up locked up for contempt of Court.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I am cursed with the ability to understand both sides of a situation.

I understand the government's urgency to get information from that phone.

I also understand Apple's reluctance to open the phone up.

Here are the facts I have heard so far for Apple's refusal:

They currently have no software to do what the FBI wants.
They don't want to create that software because it will get out eventually and everyone's phones will be hackable.
Citizen's rights to privacy.

I'm not really sure Apple is telling the truth, though, about not having the program to unlock the phone...

On the FBI's side:

The information could stop a terrorist attack and save lives.
Terrorists presently unknown to the FBI could be captured.
I can see all of these points, this is a hard one to pick sides. The suggestion Wartrace gave might be a good option, but it 1, sets a precedent for future cases, and 2, requires Apple to admit they can in fact get into encrypted devices, which they have claimed they can't do.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
What exactly are you saying in the bolded, I think you might have went over my head a little.
You're not the only one

Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think Apple should unlock the phone FOR the FBI at an Apple facility. The phones owner is dead. The phones owner committed a terrorist act. The Phone may have clues to others involved.

Notice how I did NOT say Apple should give the FBI the code to crack the phone. Giving the code would have serious privacy issues. Taking the phone and giving the FBI access to that particular phone needs to be done.
I agree with you completely. I really don't think Apple has a choice whether to do it or not as a judge ordered it. I do not think they should GIVE the FBI anything.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I agree with you completely. I really don't think Apple has a choice whether to do it or not as a judge ordered it. I do not think they should GIVE the FBI anything.
A quote from the above linked article

"The FBI obtained an order from a California district court asking Apple for assistance cracking Farook’s passcode. The court order doesn’t flat-out demand that Apple unlock the phone"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events