Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,205,276 times

Advertisements

Essentially, the FBI wants Apple to write a modified version of the Apple operating system that the FBI can install on the cell phone. This version would allow the FBI full access to the phone.

The FBI says they will use this special operating system only this one time. Many doubt this.

Anybody who holds unconventional views not liked by the government, especially conservative views, should be opposed to this. The government is looking for any excuse to come after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,608,154 times
there are many plausible reasons why this is happening, however
i am confident these young people had nothing to do with the murders.
most likely it's psyop to make people think Apple is keeping their info safe,
combined with a continuation of the storyline being fed to the public.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,167,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have to say I'm siding with Apple, terrorists or no.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about Why You Should Care About Apple

A letter from Tim Cook on the matter Customer Letter - Apple
No court should be able to force a private entity to be a police force. That is essentially what is happening here. the issue is that Apple does not have any way to hack into its own phones. It simply deletes phone content, replaces a chip, and remarkets phones that come back. they have no desire to be able to hack into phones.

The FBI can not get into the phone. You know what, that is on them. The police investigate crimes. People or businesses do not. Apple has always given the FBI any data they have and keep in their business. Every single time they get a court order for data, they give it. What they will not do is design a way to break into a phone they need to stay secure to stay in business. If the FBI wants to do it, let them do it. It is not the duty of any citizen, business or human, to help the FBI.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,740,744 times
I agree. They are the FBI, come on find another to get the informtion you need that is your job, not Apple's.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think that if I ignored a Court order my ass would end up locked up for contempt of Court.
But would be worth it. To refuse an order to potentially invade the privacy of US citizens is the right thing to do.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:49 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,452,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
This is intended for the muzzie's to drop their guard. It's also cover for them to make up another reason to track the names/numbers they got off the assassin's phone. I believe this story ... NOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
What exactly are you saying in the bolded, I think you might have went over my head a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You're not the only one
Okay ... apparently I need to clarify.

This is intended for the muzzie's to drop their guard. One of the problems the military and LE face is the encrypted phone messages. With this "admission" that they cannot crack the code will make them send even more information which can be decoded and used.

It's also cover for them to make up another reason to track the names/numbers they got off the assassin's phone. Many times information is classified, not because of the information, but because of the source of the information. The FBI gets the information and then tags the terrorist. Of course, the thug will try to figure out just how he was fingered. By acting stupid, the FBI can 'bring in the sheep' and still keep the door to discovery open ... hence more sheep.

The FBI has been cracking codes for years and now I am to believe they can't/haven't cracked this? I guess I wanna buy a bridge ... anyone got one?

El Nox

Old 02-17-2016, 02:55 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,261,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think Apple should unlock the phone FOR the FBI at an Apple facility. The phones owner is dead. The phones owner committed a terrorist act. The Phone may have clues to others involved.

Notice how I did NOT say Apple should give the FBI the code to crack the phone. Giving the code would have serious privacy issues. Taking the phone and giving the FBI access to that particular phone needs to be done.
I totally agree.

And I would ask Cook what he would do if it were his family members that were killed by the Islamic terrorists? I bet he would have a different view on the subject. Course, he probably does NOT care about other people getting killed.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think Apple should unlock the phone FOR the FBI at an Apple facility. The phones owner is dead. The phones owner committed a terrorist act. The Phone may have clues to others involved.

Notice how I did NOT say Apple should give the FBI the code to crack the phone. Giving the code would have serious privacy issues. Taking the phone and giving the FBI access to that particular phone needs to be done.
I agree strikes a good balance between privacy and safety.

It's not like before when authorities went to tech companies without rock solid evidence........we have plenty of proof they were terrorists unlike some of the previous incidents where the authorities may have "bluffed" tech companies.

We have the proof there is no bluff/made up incident

Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM

40,964 posts, read 49,283,992 times
They just need to buy the software from China.

It probably already exists over there. They hack everything.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,718 times
I'm siding with Apple on this, 100%. If the technology/software was ALREADY created and apple was denying the FBI access to that program, then yes they should turn it over.

However, and this is my sticking point, this software doesn't exist and for damn good reason. It actually makes me happy to know apple has never tried to do this because they realize the true threat.

When it comes to predicting technology, I'm going to side with apple that creating this would be reckless and dangerous and I don't think they should be forced to create something that doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events