Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, another one. A 33 year old, mother of 4 kids on a 4-day Carnival Cruise ship at 2 AM "accidentally "fell overboard from the Lido deck. Suspicious? I would say so. Suicide? Who knows? I just have a hard time believing this was accidental. Even if you are dead drunk, wouldn't you have a hard time crawling onto the railing unless you really wanted to? Her hubby is a horse trainer so this can't be financial woes. And leaving 4 kids ? There is more to this story....
You would be surprised at what drunks are able to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
How Many Cruise Ship Passengers Go Overboard Each Year?

Not all that uncommon. According to this link, 94 out of 200 such incidents since year 2000 have been on Carnival ships. I wonder what percentage of cruise ships are Carnival... Or if there is something about their ships.
We (in the cruise industry) would call Carnival "The Pink Samsonite" cruise line. Every cruise line gets a nickname based on the typical clientele, (one I worked for was "geriatrics on the sea"), and Carnival is notorious for its clientele.

If I was young, inexperienced, didn't have a lot of money, and just wanted to see what cruising was like, I'd take a Carnival Cruise. You can find all kinds of 3-4 days cruises and you don't have to spend a lot. But, you will be cruising with many others just like that - it's a cross between a mall and a sorority house - and that typically gives you results such as people getting drunk, doing stupid things like climbing railings, and falling overboard.

Stupidity is not reserved for just Carnival clientele, however. Heck, at one office party, we got to hang out on one of our cruise ships that was in port, spend the night there since there would be drinking involved, and despite that the person worked at the cruise line, he still got so drunk that he fell overboard. Granted the ship wasn't moving so the only thing he lost was his job.

However, you can't negate the fact that Carnival does attract totally inexperienced cruisers who tend to be younger, who tend to drink a lot, who tend to stay up all night when they should be in their rooms sleeping.

It goes like this with cruise lines:

Carnival: Pink Samsonite cruise - anyone and everyone who has ever wanted to go on a cruise can go on a 2,3,4 day cruise out of FL for hardly any money. Intelligence and class are not necessary to board.

Royal Caribbean: It, too, feels like a giant mall on the sea, but they have fun things to do on their ships. There's a ton of kids on these ships, too.

Princess: Used to be a joke, got a little better - a step up from Carnival, not as good as Royal.

Disney: I don't think I really need to explain.

Norweigan: Uh...ok. If you have to, because you have no other choice...eh...I guess.

Holland America: If you have young kids, and your young kids need constant stimulation, don't book this line. If you are looking to get away from swarms of people, you LIKE quiet, and you'll spend your entire day in port participating in activities so that at night you don't need a bumping night club onboard, go here. Also, smaller and better crew to passenger ratio. Of all the cruise lines, their food is THE BEST.

Oceania Cruises: Kind of like Holland America but a little more expensive - pretty much everything else is the same.

Celebrity: You got money? Get onboard.

Windstar: You got money? Get onboard.

You're not going to hear many stories about people getting tanked and then falling over the rails on Oceania or Windstar or Celebrity. It's not something faulty with the ships, it really is the type of people that choose the line based on what kind of deals and low prices they can find.

Cheap cruise? Cheap people.

Disclaimer: That is not to say that every single person who chooses Carnival is a cheap drunk who doesn't make wise decisions, so don't get indignant. If you've got any cruising experience, you know I'm right.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
As always, there is a knee-jerk reaction to blame the cruise line. No one falls off a cruise ship. Based on the video, this Mom was sitting on the rail which means there was a 50% chance of ending up in the water.

Simply a lack of personal responsibility.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
As always, there is a knee-jerk reaction to blame the cruise line. No one falls off a cruise ship. Based on the video, this Mom was sitting on the rail which means there was a 50% chance of ending up in the water.

Simply a lack of personal responsibility.
I have been looking for the video and at this time I understand it has not been released. Where have you seen it?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have been looking for the video and at this time I understand it has not been released. Where have you seen it?
Search Underway After Texas Woman Falls Off Carnival Cruise Ship
Quote:
Samantha Broberg, 33, was only hours into a four-day cruise from Galveston, Texas, to Mexico when she plunged from the Carnival Liberty ship’s 10th deck around 2 a.m. Friday, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a release. The ship was about 200 miles southeast of Galveston.
Quote:
The camera footage indicates that the guest was sitting on a deck railing and fell backwards into the water,” the spokeswoman told The Huffington Post in an email.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 PM

314 posts, read 237,462 times
I have been on two cruises, both Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, safety is the first and foremost and you just don't go overboard.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
The article fails to mention that she was 7'1", was wearing spring-loaded heels in her shoes, and had restless leg syndrome.
It was bound to happen.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, another one. A 33 year old, mother of 4 kids on a 4-day Carnival Cruise ship at 2 AM "accidentally "fell overboard from the Lido deck. Suspicious? I would say so. Suicide? Who knows? I just have a hard time believing this was accidental. Even if you are dead drunk, wouldn't you have a hard time crawling onto the railing unless you really wanted to? Her hubby is a horse trainer so this can't be financial woes. And leaving 4 kids ? There is more to this story....

Are you kidding? Doctors can have finacial woes.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Darwin award?

Unfortunately it'd been better had she done this before reproducing if there was no foul play involved.

Last edited by tripleh; 05-16-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 05:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Are you kidding? Doctors can have finacial woes.

I agree. Plenty of affluent/rich/well to do people are financial messes. Having a prestigious job doesn't mean no financial issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events