Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And, another thing, what is with all of this griping about selfies and phones? Where does this bigotry come from? I'm tired of it. (Yes, to me, it is a flat-out form of bigotry just like saying women belong in the kitchen or African-Americans belong on the back of the bus.)

lolol. So...just to make sure I understand...being born a woman or an African-American is the same thing as taking selfies and yapping on phones? People are born with phones and selfie sticks attached as part of the body they're born with?

Did I get it right?

Yours just might be the silliest, just plain outright dumbest statement I've ever seen on a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Both the Zoo and the parents are to blame for this. The parents for not keeping a better eye on their child. I have a 2 year old and it is very very easy to not have your eyes on her every second of the day. It's impossible actually. But obviously nowdays people are so distracted by other gadgets ( cell phone ) , and that just makes things worse.
It's also the Zoo's fault. They need to have child proof protective barriers just in case a parents are not paying attention.

Bullhockey on it being the zoo's fault. It's not the zoo's responsibility to fix the result of stupid, irresponsible parents. Not even a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The Derkosh family suffered a terrible loss when their young son, Maddox, was dropped into a wild African painted dog pen by his mother, who was holding him over the railing so he could "get a better view". This was in Pittsburgh and occurred a couple of Novembers ago. Instead of becoming a pariah for irresponsibly dropping her son to his gruesome death she "grieved" by joining her husband in a lawsuit against the Pittsburgh Zoo, from which they received a settlement.

Apparently we're now in a society where idiots get rewarded, so don't be shocked if not only this mother is NOT held accountable for her inattentiveness BUT ALSO if she sues the ZOO for negligence and receives a hefty payday.

That woman should have been whisked off for an immediate sterilization. Then she should have stood in court for being too stupid to have had kids in the first place.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:39 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Why they could not try other ways first?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
...it looks like the child had said he wanted to go to the gorilla.

That on itself sounds like a weird statement to me coming from a child. Maybe the mom or dad has said "wouldn't you like it to be with the gorilla" like many kids will hear how parents love to see the gorillas and how cute they are.... behind a fence or very thick safety glass!
The kid didn't want to go in with the gorillas. He wanted to go swimming in the moat that separated the gorilla enclosure from the retaining wall (placed there so the gorillas couldn't climb out of the enclosure; gorillas can't swim).

When your kid repeatedly says he wants to go swimming in a "swimming pool" that is anything but safe, perhaps that's a sign you should keep your eyes (and a hand) on him until you've moved far away from the problem area?

Can you imagine what would have happened to this kid if the family had been visiting Yellowstone instead of the zoo? You can't shoot a hot spring.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
What other ways did you have in mind?

We have already covered that instant tranquilizers are a thing of fiction, so that is out.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:54 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
If anyone ought to be ashamed, it should be that 4 year old who was being a stubborn brat who refused to listen. He didn't deserve to die and people throwing such a fit over the shooting of a gorilla are beyond ridiculous caring that much over a dang blanged animal, but I honestly hope the 4 year old got the scare of his life put into him. It's like "what part of NO don't you understand?"
Good grief, what part of small children are still learning the art of self control don't you get? Your own daughter as a prime example.
There are times when it's appropriate to let kids suffer the natural consequences of their actions, but not when it puts them in life threatening danger. Your job is to protect them from themselves in such situations.
If that dog had decided to maul your daughter how much damage do suppose might have been inflicted before you interfered, and would you really be okay with telling your disfigured child years later "it was your own fault for not listening to me"?
You are free to parent as you see fit, but only up to a point. That's why we have CPS and various laws meant to protect kids from clueless or uncaring parents.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:55 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I think zoos and other public places should have mandatory rules for all toddlers not in constricted strollers to wear APPROPRIATE BODY HARNESSES ATTACHED TO ADULT GUARDIANS. This is to ensure the safety of both the kids and the animals.

That's kind of excessive, don't you think?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:57 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Because it was a life or death situation. This was not the time for trial and error, especially when error could mean a dead 3 year old child.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There are times when it's appropriate to let kids suffer the natural consequences of their actions, but not when it puts them in life threatening danger.
Have you seen this story that is trending today?

Search continues for boy after parents left him in Hokkaido mountains as punishment | The Japan Times

Old 05-30-2016, 03:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:

And, another thing, what is with all of this griping about selfies and phones? Where does this bigotry come from? I'm tired of it. (Yes, to me, it is a flat-out form of bigotry just like saying women belong in the kitchen or African-Americans belong on the back of the bus.) Unless someone is driving and weaving all over the place, it is nobody's business if someone likes to take a lot of selfies or use their phone a lot. Who died and made these people the self-appointed phone and camera police? It makes me want to take MORE selfies and be on my phone even more just to spite these people. A person liking to be on their phone a lot or take a lot of photos of their food and such is nobody's business.

If, and I stress IF, this were a case of a parent not paying enough attention and not being vigilant enough, it doesn't matter if they were distracted from taking selfies or picking their boogers or getting too engrossed in a conversation with someone else with them or having their ears plugged from an MP3 player or reading National Enquirer in paper form. A distraction is a distraction is a distraction. Period. To make a special thing of it when it involves a phone or a camera is flat-out bigotry.
I think there is a difference between being distracted because you are attending to other children and being on your cell phone taking selfies or whatever. The first is a legitimate distraction; the second is willfully NOT paying attention to your child (or the road or whatever).

I haven't heard anything about this mother using a cell phone, though. If that was reported, I haven't seen it.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think there is a difference between being distracted because you are attending to other children and being on your cell phone taking selfies or whatever. The first is a legitimate distraction; the second is willfully NOT paying attention to your child (or the road or whatever).

I haven't heard anything about this mother using a cell phone, though. If that was reported, I haven't seen it.
Take a look at the link in my post #198. She wasn't talking but she was taking a picture. The article defends her but I see it as the opposite. If your kid has been constantly nagging you to let him go into the compound, as some eyewitness reports are saying shouldn't you be watching him more closely to make certain he doesn't bolt?

Here's the part where the eyewitness state what the mom was doing when the boy fell into the compound.

Quote:
…the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn’t see him crawling through the bushes! She said “He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!” As she could find him nowhere, she looks to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, “Sir, is he wearing green shorts? ” My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way. Neither my husband or the mother would have made that jump without breaking something!
Witness to Cincinnati Zoo Gorilla Death: It Wasn't the Parents' Fault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events