Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:55 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It is illegal for stores to sell chickens injected with hormones
Same as pigs

The chicken that's processes in
The u s. Has no growth hormones!!

Look it up if you don't believe me

OK! OK! NO hormones!
Finally! The FDA Admits That Nearly Over 70% of U.S. Chickens Contain Cancer-Causing Arsenic

Parent Society
Lauren DeCuir 2015-01-15

Finally! The FDA Admits That Nearly Over 70% of U.S. Chickens Contain Cancer-Causing Arsenic

Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
The Rubens women would not need to use an extra large wheel char. Or buy two seats on a plane. Or ride a scooter around a discount store.
You sound very judgmental. People of various sizes, for various reasons, may need to use a scooter in a huge store like Costco, Ikea, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Sometimes it is for a temporary reason (surgery, sports injury or other trauma) or something recommended by their doctors for reasons you cannot see (if they are thin enough to fit your standards, which apparently includes going up to possibly a size 16.), or at least no nothing about.

You see only their "obeseness" and assume that they are less deserving of assistance than those that meet your standards.

Some people buy two seats on a plane because they need to sit sideways to rest an injured knee, for example, or perhaps they simply want the extra room and are willing to pay for it, since it costs so much less than business class.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
The way I understand it, junk food is designed for ease in shipping, long shelf life, good mouth feel, and high fat and sugar/carb content -- NOT nutritional value. The moment we consume it, our liver and other organs detect an onslaught of sugar and other substances which cause a surge in insulin to be secreted into our bloodstream. This causes inflamation and an oversecretion of stomach acids and other digestive juices. The food itself is quickly consumed (with a minimum of chewing), but our systems remain prepared for additional nutrition. We quickly become hungry again (have you ever noticed how McDonald's food never really satisfies?) because although we have eaten, we have not been nourished.

It's important to keep in mind that fast food/junk food purveyors are not evil -- unless you consider capitalism inherently evil (as many do; but that is not the topic here). No, they are simply in the business of spending as little as possible on the product and selling as much of it as possible. That the food they provide is nutritionally unhealthful and leads to obesity, is not their goal. It simply yields the highest profit, and enough people consume it to make the fast food companies and their franchisees rich.

As several posters here have noted, it is difficult to select, purchase, and prepare nutritious meals. I agree, but would observe that plenty of things which lead to a healthful, active life are difficult; and that the difficulty is simply something which an enlightened person must be willing to overcome. The alternative is to join the growing army of American butterballs, trudging doggedly, with many a huff and puff, to oblivion.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 06-09-2016 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Okay but if you were deciding among McDonald's or a frozen pizza or home cooked chicken/veggie/starch, would you be comparing the price to organic chicken? I think the people who would eat junk food probably wouldn't insist on organic when it came to cooking food at home.

Idaho has a 6% food tax.
Thank you for the information about Idaho. Have there been any proposals to do away with this tax? It seems to me it would hurt large families disproportionately.

We don't eat at McDonald's or other fast food restaurants, including Subway. In fact, we rarely go out dining anymore, because at home we can control the source of the food we eat much better. We aren't perfect, but we do buy nearly everything organic, non-GMO, etc., even the few snack foods. For example, we buy corn and chia tortilla chips (Late July) $3.99 on sale for 11 oz. We are down to one brand of organic ice cream that we occasionally buy, Three Twins ($5.49 quart, on sale). It is a pain to pay so much, but it's our choice and we are fortunate that we can afford it (house is paid off).

We buy organic milk that is not UHT (ultra-high-temperature pasteurized). (We don't buy raw milk, but we buy only regular pasteurized organic milk. We also buy organic eggs, organic cereal, etc.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Poverty aside. Single working parents or duel earning parents often don't have time if their kids are involved in activities. For example I get up at 5 to go to work, so Monday is FB practice/open gym. I get home at ~ 4:40 which gives me time to pee and throw clothes in dryer and drive kid to FB practice by ~4;45. Directly from FB to open gym 7-9. Get home at 9:15 ish. Tue/Thurs/Friday is just FB so home about 7. Wed. is just open gym, I get home at 4:45 (after grocery shopping) and have 2 hours before I have to drive kid to gym.

Now I have a few hours here and there to cook and make an effort to fix some healthy meals but often it is easier to grab something quick and most often I have to let other things go. My house is a mess and my flower garden is full of weeds, behind on mowing, repairs/projects not getting done.
As I've said its not always laziness as some people want to believe. It takes planning, effort and some sacrifice to cook good meals and thankfully the kid will eat healthy food, to an extent (still trying to push the quinoa and kale), but its not always first priority. And sometime people are just too tired.
good post

I remember bringing my son to sports practices and games,,,and it seem everywhere wanted me to volunteer my time either at the sports concession food or some school fundraisers

just saying always friggin busy with little time to cook- so convenience/quick foods were favorable such as fast foods

Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
The portions sizes are absolutely ridiculous here.

An appetizer at a restaurant is enough to fill me up. The average entrée for me, lasts 2-3 meals.

Also, I don't think people appreciate how hard it is to lose weight. I'm 5'11 and 125 lbs naturally, but my husband is naturally fluffier, and wanted me go diet with him.

I WAS MISERABLE. I never knew how mean I could be until I went on a diet.

(Here's a thread I made while going absolutely psycho from being on a diet: http://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...so-hangry.html )

So give them a break. It's hard. :/

Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM

194 posts, read 163,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
You sound very judgmental. People of various sizes, for various reasons, may need to use a scooter in a huge store like Costco, Ikea, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Sometimes it is for a temporary reason (surgery, sports injury or other trauma) or something recommended by their doctors for reasons you cannot see (if they are thin enough to fit your standards, which apparently includes going up to possibly a size 16.), or at least no nothing about.

You see only their "obeseness" and assume that they are less deserving of assistance than those that meet your standards.

Some people buy two seats on a plane because they need to sit sideways to rest an injured knee, for example, or perhaps they simply want the extra room and are willing to pay for it, since it costs so much less than business class.
It is not judgmental to point out that many, many people who do not deserve "assistance" take advantage of it. A person who buys two seats on an airplane to prop up their leg would be very obvious, but never once have I seen that situation. In fact, personally, I've seen several cases where a person should have bought two seats on an airplane, but opted to torture the person next to them for hours on end by squishing themselves into a space that is clearly too small for them.

I would never call anyone out in public for using a motorized scooter in a store, but I always pay attention to those who use them. You cannot tell me that there are that many middle-aged, seemingly healthy people who require assistance because of an unseen medical issue. The issue is plain as day, they are obese. And instead of helping themselves get out of that situation they take advantage of society and allow themselves to continue down their path of personal ruin.

I know it sounds rude, but it's the truth. Accept that there is a problem. Then move on from there.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:10 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keatkeat_ View Post
It is not judgmental to point out that many, many people who do not deserve "assistance" take advantage of it. A person who buys two seats on an airplane to prop up their leg would be very obvious, but never once have I seen that situation. In fact, personally, I've seen several cases where a person should have bought two seats on an airplane, but opted to torture the person next to them for hours on end by squishing themselves into a space that is clearly too small for them.

I would never call anyone out in public for using a motorized scooter in a store, but I always pay attention to those who use them. You cannot tell me that there are that many middle-aged, seemingly healthy people who require assistance because of an unseen medical issue. The issue is plain as day, they are obese. And instead of helping themselves get out of that situation they take advantage of society and allow themselves to continue down their path of personal ruin.

I know it sounds rude, but it's the truth. Accept that there is a problem. Then move on from there.
Sad but true. See post #27 in this thread.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The way I understand it, junk food is designed for ease in shipping, long shelf life, good mouth feel, and high fat and sugar/carb content -- NOT nutritional value. The moment we consume it, our liver and other organs detect an onslaught of sugar and other substances which cause a surge in insulin to be secreted into our bloodstream. This causes inflamation and an oversecretion of stomach acids and other digestive juices. The food itself is quickly consumed (with a minimum of chewing), but our systems remain prepared for additional nutrition. We quickly become hungry again (have you ever noticed how McDonald's food never really satisfies?) because although we have eaten, we have not been nourished.

It's important to keep in mind that fast food/junk food purveyors are not evil -- unless you consider capitalism inherently evil (as many do; but that is not the topic here). No, they are simply in the business of spending as little as possible on the product and selling as much of it as possible. That the food they provide is nutritionally unhealthful and leads to obesity, is not their goal. It simply yields the highest profit, and enough people consume it to make the fast food companies and their franchisees rich.

As several posters here have noted, it is difficult to select, purchase, and prepare nutritious meals. I agree, but would observe that plenty of things which lead to a healthful, active life are difficult; and that the difficulty is simply something which an enlightened person must be willing to overcome. The alternative is to join the growing army of American butterballs, trudging doggedly, with many a huff and puff, to oblivion.
I agree. And foods are made to be deceiving. Things that are complete crap are labeled "all natural," "Whole grain," or even have the gov't Heart Healthy stamp on them. 80% - yes, 80% - of all food in the grocery store contains added sugar. Not the naturally occurring sugar like that found in fruit, but artificially added sugar. In other words, foods that have absolutely no business having sugar added to them, have added sugar. Furthermore, there are about 40 different label names for sugar. So someone could easily read a label, not see sugar or corn syrup anywhere, and think that it has no added sugar, when in fact it may have tons.

Also wanted to add that the food manufacturers do this for the sole purpose of making foods addictive. Like nicotine in cigarettes. Up until fairly recently, they freely admitted it. Like you said, it's empty, so you want more. Well, food manufacturers want you to eat more of their food, so they keep adding sugars to them to make you crave more.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Probably even more newsworthy.

Not only are the adults getting bigger, the kids are getting huge at a pretty scary rate too.

I never understood this.. Do fat people eat past the point where it hurts? I don't understand how they can eat SO MUCH. I eat two slices of pizza and I am full. More, and it hurts to eat. Am I alone here?? After a sandwich or a salad or whatever, I am full. I seriously can't eat more without it hurting my stomach. Do fat people eat until it hurts then keep going? I sometimes see them eating.. they eat like 5x more than me and we are the same height. I wonder if their stomach hurts? Serious question.. Which I never asked anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events