Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times

Advertisements

My daughter's friend is at that resort. Apparently, they were out for a movie on the beach.

Disney events run late. When you come from a different time zone, it may not feel as late. It's expensive so you try and do as much as you can. If the kids weren't fussy, might as well stay out and enjoy it.

I've done things as a parent that I've regretted. Fortunately, my child survived my mistakes. My thoughts to go out to these parents. They made a huge mistake. They will suffer for it for the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hopefully you never have to experience losing a child in a horrific way and have people make jokes about it on the internet. Seriously, a two year old child is killed, and people think its something to make jokes about? Sickening....
Yes, but once again, I chalk this up to parents stupidity. Up so late and allowing a 2 year old to walk the edge of a beach unattended? This is along the same line as the idiot mother who allowed her son to sneak pass multiple barriers to fall into a moot for the gorillas. But are examples of parents who don't think, and don't have any control of their situation. The result is always the same....either the animal pays or the child pays the ultimate price.

I am sure these parents will regret for the rest of their lives, and hopefully other parents will learn from their stupidity.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
So the child (a two year old?)was the only one in the water at the time? A two year old? At night? In a place known to have alligators? With "No Swimming" signs everywhere? Omg.

I feel bad for the family, but wth were they thinking?!?
That's the point, they were not thinking. It's call stupidity.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
He wasn't unattended. His family was close by him when it occurred.
Not close enough to prevent this from happening.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,200 times
Gators got to eat. Hopefully the guy was dead before.

Gators and crocs have never had to evolve. All they do is eat, sleep and make little ones, the cycle starts over again. they are predators.

Feel sorry for the person but no reason to kill the gator unless it became a nuisance. Just like shark.

Person enters the ocean, gets bitten, shark ordered to be killed. Human logic at it's best; no wonder aliens don't talk to us lol

Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post
Maybe so, but this father apparently still tried. And while that can surely be attributed to fatherly instincts/concern, I would think that would likely also extend to general concern or compassion when seeing a father try to save his little girl from an alligator that's trying to drag her away.

Realistically, though, while an alligator is certainly a strong, powerful animal, could like 5-10 adults not stop the gator from getting away and try to free the child? I'm genuinely asking that, by the way.
Unfortunately, it's very unlikely. People who witness an alligator atack are typically shocked at how fast these seemingly slow, cumbersome beasts move when they decide to, and their attacks are not just sudden but extremely violent and savage. A child that size was quite likely already crushed and/or torn to death by the time even one person could have gotten involved, and the gator probably had her back underwater before more than a couple of people could have reacted.

This is what they do, and they're good at it - they attack from ambush, rushing out from concealment in an explosive split-second, immediately sieze their prey, and race directly back to the water to drown it and tear it apart. People even just a few yards away would barely have time to register in their minds what they were seeing before it would have been all over. Had the victim been a full grown adult, and the alligator relatively small, there might have been some chance, but a 2-year old... that tiny, fragile body... once that gator said "go," it was already over.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That's the point, they were not thinking. It's call stupidity.
Visitors to Florida just do not understand that gators can be anywhere here, including in developed areas with man made lakes and ponds; resorts, golf courses, etc.

We are from NY and moved to Florida about 10 years ago. We live in a Golf Development just feet from a man made pond (water hazard) on the course. I have seen gators in this pond many times, including Mamas and their Baby Gators. A couple of times I have seen them sunning themselves on the banks. People are warned, and we hear it many times, to not let their pets outside to roam free. I worry about letting my cats outside on my screened in lanai all alone. Unfortunately, what can happen to your pet, can also happen to your child.

Visitors to Florida need to know this. We certainly didn't coming from NY. I understand that the Hotel had a sign posted at this Lagoon saying "No Swimming", which these parents weren't actually doing. HOWEVER, they need to tell the people WHY. No Swimming. ALLIGATORS possible. It is a very real possibility with any body of water, especially during the Summer Rainy Season in Florida when these ponds and lakes get higher. The gators can swim through the underwater drainage systems from place to place.

Horrific tragedy but if an additional warning can save another child's life, do it.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, but once again, I chalk this up to parents stupidity. Up so late and allowing a 2 year old to walk the edge of a beach unattended? This is along the same line as the idiot mother who allowed her son to sneak pass multiple barriers to fall into a moot for the gorillas. But are examples of parents who don't think, and don't have any control of their situation. The result is always the same....either the animal pays or the child pays the ultimate price.

I am sure these parents will regret for the rest of their lives, and hopefully other parents will learn from their stupidity.
Just like the 6 yr old getting dragged by the gorilla in the zoo. Kids will do dumb things, they need to be supervised at all times.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Just like the 6 yr old getting dragged by the gorilla in the zoo. Kids will do dumb things, they need to be supervised at all times.
Yes your right but the parents were there allowing the child to be in the water to the 1ft depth as reported by the media. There are signs clearly stating not to go in the water, this isn't a child that bolted from his parents as in the zoo case. They will have to live with this and the alligator shouldn't have to pay for their actions.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM

71 posts, read 181,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
"Kids will do dumb things?" The decision making of a 2 year old or 6 year old where neither have fully developed reasoning and decision making abilities cannot be categorized as "dumb". You can't fault them, all blame lies with the parents/guardians.

Now a 16 year old, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events