Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times

Advertisements

I didn't the passenger do anything that could get him arrested like "Interfering with the Flight Crew." He may have been verbally annoying, but the FA could and did just walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 AM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When he pulled out his camera, now he has stepped out from trying to clarify a situation to now making the situation potentially dangerous for the stewardess. It could have turned into a legal lawsuit, stupid social media harassment, or something else. The stewardess did the right thing by not taking it and playing that passenger's twisted game.
Pulling out a video camera is now "dangerous"?

Would it have helped if he had issued a trigger warning first?

Honestly, I can't believe what is happening to our society. We are creating a fear culture where everyone thinks no one's feelings should ever be hurt.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:20 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I would have maybe sided with the flight attendant had this been in economy class, which usually seats 4 times as many passengers. Other than just flat out poor planning and execution, there's no reason a flight should run out of a menu choice for business class. Some may say the guy is being an entitled whiner but imagine if he's a vegetarian with pasta being the only option. He's in the right to be a little upset considering he may have paid significantly more for business class.

I fly a lot and I've had good service and bad service. Sometimes it feels like walking on eggshells asking a flight attendant for coffee. Airline service is already bad enough, flight attendants shouldn't be encouraged to be rude to passengers.
It's a 2 hour flight Funny how many of us don't feel like walking on eggshells when talking to flight attendants. They usually go out of their way to meet even the silliest demands. I think some people see flight attendants as their personal slaves, maybe they should bring a whip.

No one has the right to be upset if the airline runs out of an specific food. That's ridiculous. If you have specific dietary needs then bring your own food to your 2 hour flight. I personally don't like meat much and dislike most of the food offered in flights, that doesn't mean I expect every flight to fit my needs. Anyone with some logistics knowledge knows the airline cannot anticipate all scenarios especially in first class.

This guy has a travel blog right? He probably used his miles and thought he was entitled to royalty treatment. "And you'll never be royaaaal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Notice that an annoyed fellow passenger was telling the passenger to stop what he's doing (pestering the FA? baiting the FA? recording the FA?) near the end of the excerpt.
I couldn't understand what the other passenger was saying, maybe I hear a "who cares" at the end. He is definitely telling this guy to stop talking to the FA. but I figured the passenger who recorded this conveniently left out what he told the FA that made him so upset.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-12-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 12:39 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Exactly, I fly a lot and it seems like a curt personality with at least a mild contempt for passengers is common across the industry.
I don't fly as much as I used to, but I can see where the contempt would come from. A surprising percentage of people behave like they're barely housetrained when entering an aircraft, and that must eventually wear down even the sunniest disposition.

Heck, I get low-level stress watching passengers trying to wrangle their steamer trunk on wheels onto an overhead compartment where it obviously won't fit, or deciding they need to use the bathroom at the exact time the meal trolley is taking up the aisle, or getting snippy when the cart is out of their preferred brand of HFCS slurry. Not even going to mention the sloppy drunks, or those with smelly meals, or those who recline during meal service, or those who sleep through meal service and then raise holy hell because they were "cheated".

Which is why I go out of my way to have a small carry-on, I get my stuff stowed in 10 seconds flat, my electronics are turned off and packed before I am even on the jetway. I say "Hello" when embarking, "Please" and "Thank you" when interacting, I eat and drink when it fits with the crew's schedule, and I take setbacks with as much stoicism as I can muster. I try to be a cog in the machinery, because it's in everybody's interest to make it run smoothly. I am not special, I'm the 500th butt-in-a-seat the crew is dealing with today. And strangely enough, I very rarely encounter a curt attitude.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Quote:
. Some may say the guy is being an entitled whiner but imagine if he's a vegetarian with pasta being the only option. He's in the right to be a little upset considering he may have paid significantly more for business class.
Normally first / business has two meal options ... many Airlines serve from the front to the back or the back to the front based on the flight number (even vs. odd, or whether the flight is heading East or West).

The smart thing to do is order a special meal, it's free, and you can order vegan, vegetarian, kosher, or whatever you want. And then you don't have to worry about them running out of meals, so the dude's an idiot.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Normally first / business has two meal options ... many Airlines serve from the front to the back or the back to the front based on the flight number (even vs. odd, or whether the flight is heading East or West).

The smart thing to do is order a special meal, it's free, and you can order vegan, vegetarian, kosher, or whatever you want. And then you don't have to worry about them running out of meals, so the dude's an idiot.

This is 100% spot on. If you have special requirements and don't notify the airline that's really tough cookies. If he would have notified them he was vegitarian they would have served him first

Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Can't say what happened before recording, but FA was out of line threatening passenger. If you don't want to deal with an upset passenger here and there, get a different job.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sorry people have gotten you to that point, but you represent an entire company. You can't afford to let your emotions get the best of you.

Honestly, I couldn't serve the public because there is too much ignorance, too many instances where people who feel they're entitled want a slave and not service. But people who feel as I do shouldn't serve the public either.

I know little old ladies who are five foot nothing who have been called much worse, and they seem to handle it without ever saying shut up or cursing or even raising their voices. They firmly tell the ass to stop now or they'll be calling the police to have them removed - and they use the broken record technique over and over and over again never changing the phrasing until the ass winds down. Often with others joining in doing the yelling for them.

If a person is at a point where they cannot control him or herself simply because someone is not controlling himself, it's time to find other work.
This is all too true. I worked for many years in health insurance processing medical claims. Because part of my job was talking on the phone to customers it was not always easy. People would call and demand I pay their claims when the procedures they had weren't in their contracts. They would call and demand I pay for the latest and greatest medical procedures or meds they saw advertised or touted on TV. I HATE Dr. Oz

I had customers scream, curse and threaten me. I was allowed to tell them I was going to hang up if they were going to continue to be abusive or if they swore but on the whole, I had to be polite and put up with them while trying to explain how to file a grievance or request. I didn't have the power to override the terms of their policies.

The thing is, it was my job to keep my cool. I just never took the nastiness personally. There are ways of shutting unruly people down but you don't want to sink to their level of rudeness to do so. If you can't, you shouldn't be dealing with the Public.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The dude has a travel website ... gee, I wonder why he would film this and went to the media.
He had a problem with the fact that his row was served last. Not sure which row is the "correct" row to be served last.
How do you know what his problem was? That attendant seemed rude and unprofessional.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
I have about 4 million miles flying AA mostly in business or first class.

From much experience that FA will get suspended for a period. And the customer may well get a forgive us gift.

Make no bones about it. The FAs who fly the premium cabins are experienced and knowledgeable. Virtually guarantee you there is a reason the FA picked that seat order.

I would play the pre-ordered meal game on trans continental flights. Too much trouble for a couple of hour flight.

Last edited by lvmensch; 06-13-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events