Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I would be the same as you, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I don't like being forced to use a credit card if I don't want to. It's my card, and I should be the one deciding if it will used or not.
Then don't stay places that require a credit card for incidentals. No one is forcing you to stay at such places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then don't stay places that require a credit card for incidentals. No one is forcing you to stay at such places.

The question is has it become standard practice in most hotels these days? In which case it becomes harder to avoid. Whatever happened to travelers checks ? I guess there was fraud? It is not just incidentals that I worry about it is mainly being forced to pay for the hotel room bill itself with a credit or debit card.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Exactly. And I don't.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The question is has it become standard practice in most hotels these days? In which case it becomes harder to avoid. Whatever happened to travelers checks ? I guess there was fraud? It is not just incidentals that I worry about it is mainly being forced to pay for the hotel room bill itself with a credit or debit card.
I understand why hotels and like businesses that have a traveling customer base do it. It's so they know they will get paid, and not ripped off by people skipping out on the bill, or whatever. Even so, I don't like being told that (1) they don't trust me to pay all the cash I owe, and (2) you must use your credit card, and therefore (probably) have to pay a fee for spending my own money.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Not many hotels will give you a room without a credit card these days. We went to NYC one time, years ago, and checked into a hotel. I didn't want to use my company credit card as my family was with me, so I decided to pay cash. THEY WOULD NOT GIVE US A ROOM ! I had to get the manager, and he said "With cash, we have no protection if you leave with a TV, but we do with a credit card."

They finally relented and we got the room, but it wasn't easy.

Don

Old 08-15-2016, 04:57 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Isnt it true most major hotels force you to give them a credit or debit card number even if you want to protect yourself from hacking by paying with cash?
That's been my experience. There may be some mom and pop places which will allow you to simply pay cash, but I imagine that they're few and far between.

Hotels want a card number in the event you don't show up, skip, steal or cause damage.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
What's the big deal, they hacked your CC. Just file a claim and get a new card and bad charges removed. Standard practice. I will always use CC and not debit card. Fraudulent charges are all fully protected. You don't need a SS# or anything else to get a room why should people care. You should worry more about protecting your own personal data than worry about CC#.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not many hotels will give you a room without a credit card these days. We went to NYC one time, years ago, and checked into a hotel. I didn't want to use my company credit card as my family was with me, so I decided to pay cash. THEY WOULD NOT GIVE US A ROOM ! I had to get the manager, and he said "With cash, we have no protection if you leave with a TV, but we do with a credit card."

They finally relented and we got the room, but it wasn't easy.

Don

I think more people should stand up for their rights like you did and demand to pay the way they feel comfortable and the hotels will learn they have to do what the customer wants. They will relent if they care about keeping their customers happy, good hospitality is what they do for a living.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What's the big deal, they hacked your CC. Just file a claim and get a new card and bad charges removed. Standard practice. I will always use CC and not debit card. Fraudulent charges are all fully protected. You don't need a SS# or anything else to get a room why should people care. You should worry more about protecting your own personal data than worry about CC#.
Having your identity stolen or hacked in any way is always a big deal even with a credit card, and for me I do not use credit cards I use a debit card or cash. I have in the past also used those Visa gift cards (I think master card may have one too). For about $5 you can put up to $500 on them and if they are hacked that is the most the hacker can get,they don't get into your bank account like with a debit card, and if you did not put your name on it the hacker does not even know who you are. I do not know if a hotel will accept it or not but they may not even notice.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

"What's the big deal"? ... Are you excusing the thieves who hack CC's, etc? Wow!

It is not as simple as you think even if the bank or other entity supposedly ends up paying the freight (which we all pay in some way or another anyway).

It can be very distressing and can leave one without an easy means to secure anything if you are travelling. Cards can take some time to be re-issued and often you have to be home to receive them/activate them. Stress can be induced by the fact that you don't know for sure all the information that was stolen. Sometimes you don't even hear about a problem for quite a while. How long has someone known your card info? Some will hack and sell the information and it could be months before problems begin to show up. Can they determine any other information other than your card number (and perhaps access code) from having hacked into a motel/hotel system? Just having this happen a few times can scare the dickens out of many people who are less nonchalant than you seem to be - for good reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events