Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes but even without those things, people still damage hotel rooms. How would a hotel recover those costs if someone paid in cash? Require a cash deposit? Then what, follow the security deposit laws of their state? They can collect up to 2x the amount of the room for a deposit. Any damage above that would have to be settled in court with someone who might not even live in the state, or even the country. So good luck getting money for damages. Any guests who don't cause damage will need their deposit mailed back within 30 days... And what if the person Is traveling for the next few months, how do they get their deposit back? Or if they live in another country?

And not to mention all the cash a hotel would have to have on hand, and their customers would be carrying. Say you stay 7 nights at a hotel that costs $250. That's $1750. They want a deposit equal to 2x your stay, that's $5,250 in cash you would be carrying to check into the hotel. Seems like hotels would end up being a criminal's new favorite place to rob.

Putting a small hold on a credit card is just much simpler.
How do they determine how much money to charge a credit card for damages? What if the guests claims the hotel is lying ? Or what if the credit card is stolen, or if it is valid,the credit card does not have much money allowed on it? I really feel safer paying with cash for most things with all the hacking , and on a trip rather then carry a lot of money what about going to an atm machine when you need to for extra cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I really feel safer paying with cash for most things with all the hacking , and on a trip rather then carry a lot of money what about going to an atm machine when you need to for extra cash?
My bank would not have allowed me to take out enough money from the ATM to pay for my 10 nights in a hotel during my last trip. And that's not including any deposits a hotel would require for someone paying in cash.

I doubt my bank even had ATMs where I was, so I would have had to pay service fees to withdraw cash. Much easier to just use a card instead of running around looking for a place to withdraw cash. And it's not like ATMs are magically safer and immune from being hacked. A card reader can be installed on ATMs that allows thieves access to your information.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Since I got rid of all credit card debt I only use my debit card. Recently someone hacked my card and someone tried to purchase items online from Australia. Thankfully it put up a red flag. They also tried a few high end stores and were immediately rejected.

My bank took care of it and the charges were taken off my account. Maybe it's because I live in a small town but I know they will protect me.

Next time I travel though, I will purchase a pre-paid credit card, just in case.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My bank took care of it and the charges were taken off my account. Maybe it's because I live in a small town but I know they will protect me.

I don't live in a small town, and use one of the largest banks in the country. They have stopped any unauthorized use of my card before I saw any charges on my account. One time I didn't realize anything had happened until a new card showed up in the mail. I called to see why I got a new card, since my old one didn't expire for a few years. They told me that my card had been compromised, and that they had tried calling. Oops, I never updated my new phone number with my bank, and they also had an email address I rarely checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events