Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:40 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post

Isnt it true most major hotels force you to give them a credit or debit card number even if you want to protect yourself from hacking by paying with cash? You are forced to be at risk of hacking and then they cannot protect your information.
The hotel needs the credit card in case of theft or damage by the guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
My son had a credit card hacked. He'd only had it for a couple of months and had never used it.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
True 100%. Even if paying with cash they need this on file. An extra I.D. may be requested when paying with cash as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post

They didn't "need" it 30 years ago or even earlier. They got along just fine without in the 100s of years that hotels have been around, but if they do think they need to force guests to give one against their will and then those same guests then get their identity stolen at that same hotel maybe those people will then "need" to sue the hotel ?

Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
They didn't "need" it 30 years ago or even earlier. They got along just fine without in the 100s of years that hotels have been around, but if they do think they need to force guests to give one against their will and then those same guests then get their identity stolen at that same hotel maybe those people will then "need" to sue the hotel ?
No one is forcing you to do anything against your will. If you don't ever want to use a credit card, then don't use a credit card.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No one is forcing you to do anything against your will. If you don't ever want to use a credit card, then don't use a credit card.

It is not just credit cards. You can't get a room without giving them a credit or debit card period. I just do not see why a person can't pay for a hotel room with cash? For instance if a guest wants to stay for 3 days then they can prepay for the 3 days what is the big deal to the hotel ? And if the hotel feels they still need id they can request some other form of it like a driver's license or passport. I disagree with demanding bank debit card or credit card information if someone wants to pay with cash.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
It is not just credit cards. You can't get a room without giving them a credit or debit card period. I just do not see why a person can't pay for a hotel room with cash? For instance if a guest wants to stay for 3 days then they can prepay for the 3 days what is the big deal to the hotel ? And if the hotel feels they still need id they can request some other form of it like a driver's license or passport. I disagree with demanding bank debit card or credit card information if someone wants to pay with cash.
It has already been explained why hotels need a credit card. It has nothing to do with using a CC as ID, as they ask to see your ID along with your CC. But if you want to pay with cash, I'm sure you'll be able to find some roadside motel or campground that will accept your cash.

Most people probably don't trash their hotel room, but the hotel wants to be covered just in case. Although more people probably use the mini bar, order movies, use valet parking, or eat in the restaurant. How would you pre pay for such things? I don't check into a hotel knowing everything I'm going to be doing at the hotel during my stay. So a CC is used basically as a deposit for any incidentals. If you've ever rented, I'm sure you've had to pay a deposit. But because of logistics, hotels use CC as a deposit instead of cash.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It has already been explained why hotels need a credit card. It has nothing to do with using a CC as ID, as they ask to see your ID along with your CC. But if you want to pay with cash, I'm sure you'll be able to find some roadside motel or campground that will accept your cash.

Most people probably don't trash their hotel room, but the hotel wants to be covered just in case. Although more people probably use the mini bar, order movies, use valet parking, or eat in the restaurant. How would you pre pay for such things? I don't check into a hotel knowing everything I'm going to be doing at the hotel during my stay. So a CC is used basically as a deposit for any incidentals. If you've ever rented, I'm sure you've had to pay a deposit. But because of logistics, hotels use CC as a deposit instead of cash.

I guess I just think of a hotel as a place to stay for the night,as for eating and entertainment I go out somewhere else.And I do not use valet parking. Also to save money many people on a trip visit the grocery store and buy their own food. I lived in Orlando and saw tourists doing it all the time.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I guess I just think of a hotel as a place to stay for the night,as for eating and entertainment I go out somewhere else.And I do not use valet parking. Also to save money many people on a trip visit the grocery store and buy their own food. I lived in Orlando and saw tourists doing it all the time.
Yes but even without those things, people still damage hotel rooms. How would a hotel recover those costs if someone paid in cash? Require a cash deposit? Then what, follow the security deposit laws of their state? They can collect up to 2x the amount of the room for a deposit. Any damage above that would have to be settled in court with someone who might not even live in the state, or even the country. So good luck getting money for damages. Any guests who don't cause damage will need their deposit mailed back within 30 days... And what if the person Is traveling for the next few months, how do they get their deposit back? Or if they live in another country?

And not to mention all the cash a hotel would have to have on hand, and their customers would be carrying. Say you stay 7 nights at a hotel that costs $250. That's $1750. They want a deposit equal to 2x your stay, that's $5,250 in cash you would be carrying to check into the hotel. Seems like hotels would end up being a criminal's new favorite place to rob.

Putting a small hold on a credit card is just much simpler.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
The majority of hotel guests never have their card charged for damages. However their are those who tare up their rooms or other hotel amenities and should be expected to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events