Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 AM

2,061 posts, read 2,566,927 times

Advertisements

There has been a data breach at the companies that run some of the biggest hotels in the country, The ones who may have been affected are the Marriot, Hyatt, Starwood hotels and Resorts worldwide. and the Intercontinental Hotels Group.

Anyone who paid with a credit card is at risk mostlly after December 2015 but the full risk is from March 2015 through June 21 2016.

Isnt it true most major hotels force you to give them a credit or debit card number even if you want to protect yourself from hacking by paying with cash? You are forced to be at risk of hacking and then they cannot protect your information.

Marriott, Hyatt Guest Data May Have Been Hacked (HOT MAR H IHG) | Investing | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,465,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
There has been a data breach at the companies that run some of the biggest hotels in the country, The ones who may have been affected are the Marriot, Hyatt, Starwood hotels and Resorts worldwide. and the Intercontinental Hotels Group.

Anyone who paid with a credit card is at risk mostlly after December 2015 but the full risk is from March 2015 through June 21 2016.

Isnt it true most major hotels force you to give them a credit or debit card number even if you want to protect yourself from hacking by paying with cash? You are forced to be at risk of hacking and then they cannot protect your information.

Marriott, Hyatt Guest Data May Have Been Hacked (HOT MAR H IHG) | Investing | US News
I can't answer that specific question. But if a place of business requires the customer to provide a credit/debit card number, then they assume full responsibility for the security of that information. If they fail to secure that data, then they should be liable for any financial damage to the customer resulting from that. Don't know if it works that way in real life or not, but it should IMO.

If a credit card isn't required, but used for convenience, then any loss would be on you the customer. The ever present risk of hacking/data loss has always been the dark side of the convenience coin.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,085,594 times
While it bother me about security breaches, The bank on credit card more or less takes the hit financially.

A data breach where they get your name/address and zipcode make it easier for the breaches to use your credit card.

Bank fraud software is good at seeing pattern that are outside your normal usage, but if they have your zipcode, they can establish a "Pattern" by getting gas at a self-service pump, entering your zipcode, that will make the credit card issuers computer think your are actually there. For Online Fraud, they can do ship to different address, but they need your real address for CC verification. They ship it to a empty house, grab it off the front porch after the UPS guy drops it.

If you do a daily download of your credit card activity into quicken, you will see the activity, and often the store doing the shipment can have UPS, Halt the shipment and return it to them, and UPS fraud alert will be posted to that address, The driver will look for other shipment going there, stop them, and reject them. Police/Secret Service might be notified for them to watch for pickups at that address,

Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I can't answer that specific question. But if a place of business requires the customer to provide a credit/debit card number, then they assume full responsibility for the security of that information. If they fail to secure that data, then they should be liable for any financial damage to the customer resulting from that. Don't know if it works that way in real life or not, but it should IMO.

If a credit card isn't required, but used for convenience, then any loss would be on you the customer. The ever present risk of hacking/data loss has always been the dark side of the convenience coin.

You bring up an excellent point, if they require a credit or debit card even if you prefer to pay in cash they should be held responsible if there is hacking.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
While it bother me about security breaches, The bank on credit card more or less takes the hit financially.

A data breach where they get your name/address and zipcode make it easier for the breaches to use your credit card.

Bank fraud software is good at seeing pattern that are outside your normal usage, but if they have your zipcode, they can establish a "Pattern" by getting gas at a self-service pump, entering your zipcode, that will make the credit card issuers computer think your are actually there. For Online Fraud, they can do ship to different address, but they need your real address for CC verification. They ship it to a empty house, grab it off the front porch after the UPS guy drops it.

If you do a daily download of your credit card activity into quicken, you will see the activity, and often the store doing the shipment can have UPS, Halt the shipment and return it to them, and UPS fraud alert will be posted to that address, The driver will look for other shipment going there, stop them, and reject them. Police/Secret Service might be notified for them to watch for pickups at that address,

What if the person pays with a debit card do the same rules apply?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,088,973 times
Quote:

Credit card companies will cover you for any fraud on your account. They will recoup their losses from the hacked entities.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:22 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,088,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
What if the person pays with a debit card do the same rules apply?
For the most part, most banks have fraud protection. The difference with an ATM card is that if someone uses your card, they are directly using your money in your bank account, possible draining you of funds, resulting in overdrafts and you being unable to pay bills, vs a credit card where it's balance goes up but you still have your cash.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Credit card companies will cover you for any fraud on your account. They will recoup their losses from the hacked entities.
Yes, I know, and that's how it should be. I was thinking about debit cards in my previous post, but I worded it poorly.

Even so, I still have a problem with a business that basically forces you to use a credit/debit card (versus cash) to do business with them. I understand not accepting checks in certain types of businesses like hotels, car rentals, etc., where customers likely aren't locals. But cash should be an option.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,106,924 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, and that's how it should be. I was thinking about debit cards in my previous post, but I worded it poorly.

Even so, I still have a problem with a business that basically forces you to use a credit/debit card (versus cash) to do business with them. I understand not accepting checks in certain types of businesses like hotels, car rentals, etc., where customers likely aren't locals. But cash should be an option.
And what, provide the hotel with a couple hundred dollars in cash for incidentals on top of whatever your hotel bill is? If that was an option, I think most people would still choose credit card instead of having to travel with and carry such a large amount of cash. I just got back from a two week vacation where we stayed in 5 different hotels as we traveled around. That would have probably been at least $4,000 in cash I would have needed to carry with me. No thanks. I'd much rather have the protection from my credit card.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what, provide the hotel with a couple hundred dollars in cash for incidentals on top of whatever your hotel bill is? If that was an option, I think most people would still choose credit card instead of having to travel with and carry such a large amount of cash. I just got back from a two week vacation where we stayed in 5 different hotels as we traveled around. That would have probably been at least $4,000 in cash I would have needed to carry with me. No thanks. I'd much rather have the protection from my credit card.
I would be the same as you, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I don't like being forced to use a credit card if I don't want to. It's my card, and I should be the one deciding if it will used or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events