Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:10 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't think we should ban creepy holiday decorations. If somebody shoots out their window, that's their problem. But what if there's a human being behind the glass? Unless you've been trained how and when to shoot, you could hurt someone who is just trying to have a bit of fun.
I think that's a far-fetched notion. People shooting at Halloween decorations and accidentally hitting an innocent person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think scaring a girl in her bedroom is malicious. The brain records trauma even when "its just a joke". No, not everyone would record it as a trauma. But some would. It takes pranks too far. I agree with that aspect of the story. It is not a Halloween decoration, and it isn't being marketed that way. Its being marketed to use in pranks.

Yeah, scaring a 5 year old girl in her bedroom is malicious (unless it's her 6 year old brother who's doing it. I say this as a former 6 year old brother). The item is not intended for that. I think anyone who doesn't realize that is unsophisticated.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think that you cant just buy something online. People vote with their dollars and it is 100% consumerism to say to a company "hey, we don't like what you are doing/selling/etc. We will spread the word and it might effect your sales". A business is not going to pull the item unless they think its better for business to do so. This is not "banning" an item, this is voting with dollars. I think that people who know how to do this is much more sophisticated then you are giving them credit for.
You're getting hung up on the technicalities of how a boycott works. I know how boycotts work. I just think that in this case a few nervous nellies and schoolmarms are trying to ruin people's fun.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:40 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
What in the world does this have to do with being politically correct?
I suspect many use this term without knowing what it means.
If someone cannot see how simulating a man in a hoodie peering in your window--something that has actually happened to people as a precedent to rape or murder--is different from other types of Halloween fun, there is no hope for them. This is not your typical 'practical joke'.
Really?? Someone finds it offensive so they think everyone should stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
all the people who are chiming in to condemn removing this item from the shelves have obviously never had their life ruined by a stalker.

Come back after you have been stalked -

and tell me how frivolous it is.
Its a decoration, its not going to attach itself to random floating windows that are following you. How many times are you gonna look at it, be scared, and do nothing about it?

I've been robbed before, should I be out trying to ban ski masks?
You need to move on if you're going to get stuck on something like that. Bad things happen, you can let them bring you down for the rest of your life, or you can make a joke out of them so you can make light of it and not let it bring you down every minute of every day.

Quote:
I notice also that there is a big push among conservatives and trumpers (generally in the country, not talking only about C-D) to denigrate "political correctness".

These people often miss the good ol days when you could call a Black person the n-word, and could call a woman a babe.
And call a disabled person a "crip". and a Jew a "****" and a Chicano a "beaner".

yeah, folks, life's a ***** when you have to censor yourself. I feel your pain.

get over it. this is the 21st century and we aren't going back to the 19th.
There's a difference between being respectful because of who someone is born as, and someone trying to ban a feeling because they don't want to experience it. Lets stick to comparing apples to apples, and not just find an excuse to make a bunch of racist and ignorant slurs in a post.

Quote:
I think scaring a girl in her bedroom is malicious. The brain records trauma even when "its just a joke". No, not everyone would record it as a trauma. But some would. It takes pranks too far. I agree with that aspect of the story. It is not a Halloween decoration, and it isn't being marketed that way. Its being marketed to use in pranks.

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think that you cant just buy something online. People vote with their dollars and it is 100% consumerism to say to a company "hey, we don't like what you are doing/selling/etc. We will spread the word and it might effect your sales". A business is not going to pull the item unless they think its better for business to do so. This is not "banning" an item, this is voting with dollars. I think that people who know how to do this is much more sophisticated then you are giving them credit for.
11.80 in. Scary Peeper Creeper-SPSVC-026 - The Home Depot
IN WHAT WAY???
Quote:
Scary, fun Halloween decoration
Can hang on window
Realistic details

P.S. ITS NOT EVEN REAL SIZE.

Last edited by adriver; 09-30-2016 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: ignorant, her slurs are ignorant too.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, scaring a 5 year old girl in her bedroom is malicious (unless it's her 6 year old brother who's doing it. I say this as a former 6 year old brother). The item is not intended for that. I think anyone who doesn't realize that is unsophisticated.

You're getting hung up on the technicalities of how a boycott works. I know how boycotts work. I just think that in this case a few nervous nellies and schoolmarms are trying to ruin people's fun.
Seriously? Ok...lots of name calling but I think you might have not watched the video on how to properly use this item on the creator's website. It is specifically marketed to scare the crap out of people, especially women. It is not meant to be hung inside to be a fun decoration for Halloween.

A boycott needs numbers of people or it is not effective. A powerhouse like Home Depot isn't going to flinch if they think the boycott is going to have 10 members. They likely get 1000s of complaints a day from a variety of people for a variety of things. They are only going to react to ones that make good business sense to react to.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I notice also that there is a big push among conservatives and trumpers (generally in the country, not talking only about C-D) to denigrate "political correctness".

These people often miss the good ol days when you could call a Black person the n-word, and could call a woman a babe.
And call a disabled person a "crip". and a Jew a "****" and a Chicano a "beaner".

yeah, folks, life's a ***** when you have to censor yourself. I feel your pain.

get over it. this is the 21st century and we aren't going back to the 19th.

Wanna see something REALLY scary??? BWAHAHAHA!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Who wouldn't want a stranger staring in their bedroom or bathroom window. What could go wrong? Im sure my 67 year old mom would love that non PC gag.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Who wouldn't want a stranger staring in their bedroom or bathroom window. What could go wrong? Im sure my 67 year old mom would love that non PC gag.
Something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z90GRcLRG-8

BTW, this is fake...but stupid pranks are quite real

Old 09-30-2016, 10:35 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Schools have already outlawed many costumes for the traditional Hallowe'en Party. Children are being sent home if their costume is deemed "inappropriate". Monsters, witches, Scary masks, (who decides how scared I am?) cardboard weapons, (spears, swords).

No wonder children are content to sit on the couch and play video games. PC has sucked the marrow out of any fun they can have.

We used to live in Illinois and the elementary school would not even call it a Halloween party because they were afraid they would offend someone. So it was a "Fall" party and at Christmas is was a "Winter" party. Give me a break! We moved to Indiana and the parties are called how they should be!!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Seriously? Ok...lots of name calling but I think you might have not watched the video on how to properly use this item on the creator's website. It is specifically marketed to scare the crap out of people, especially women. It is not meant to be hung inside to be a fun decoration for Halloween.

A boycott needs numbers of people or it is not effective. A powerhouse like Home Depot isn't going to flinch if they think the boycott is going to have 10 members. They likely get 1000s of complaints a day from a variety of people for a variety of things. They are only going to react to ones that make good business sense to react to.

"Lots of name calling." You object to my colorful characterization of "nervous nellies and schoolmarms" so you accuse me of name calling. That's weak.

I understand that you take this subject very, very seriously and you may even work with traumatized children. That's fine, my wife is also a social worker and she works with traumatized children sometimes. But I don't think even she would call for an outright ban on this product.

And you're wrong about businesses always making brilliant decisions. Sometimes they make lousy decisions.

BTW I did watch the video and that's a group of adult 20-somethings, not "a girl in her bedroom".

Here's another video about the product that's not from the marketer, and it's more realistic IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liA2CNAGSMM

Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
seriously, people, anyone who is going to buy this and use it to prank someone is going to do it to someone that they know will be able to handle the gag. they are not going to randomly place it on a 67 year old woman's bedroom window. they are going to put it on their friends window or their roommate or their brother/sister.

if someone puts it on a random strangers window and then sits back and watches to get a thrill, then that person is really sick and i'd venture to say that with or without this prank peeper thing they are going to do malicious type things to people just for the fun of it. they wouldn't need this to do that, because they are already sick people.

there are thousands of videos of people scaring the pants off of people. this mask is just another way to do that. it is nothing new really. i saw one yesterday, it was a girl/young woman hanging her head in her lap sitting on a seat outside, looking like she was crying. random strangers were walking by and see her apparently crying and they were walking up to her to ask her if she was ok. she would abruptly look up at them with a freaky gross scary face and then start chasing them. this was just one of many pranks that people do. youtube is full of them. should the mask that she had on be pulled from shelves? i guess there are people who would say yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events