Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

I saw something on the news that said that the reason for the uproar in Toronto was because the thing closely resembled an actual creepy criminal they had there. I guess kind of like making one that looks like Charles Manson, or That wacko kid that shot up the movie theater.

They are still for sale here in the States. At least they were last time I looked. I don't find the thing scary at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Ok I am a person who is largely outspoken about rape and rape culture. I feel very strongly about protecting victims and not trying to blame them. Same with DV victims and other violence against women cases and situations where people like to victim blame and attempt to make excuses for the acccused and their actions. However this does not offend me in the slightest and I don't think I ever would have thought "hmm that trivializes violent crimes against women, lets push to have it banned." I mean how do people come up with this stuff?? What a ridiculous claim.

Thing sure is creepy but considering it's a Halloween thing I'm sure that's the point. I'm almost entirely positive that had this not been pointed out to me in this article, I never would have thought that this peeper decoration in any way makes light of or supports (or whatever exact wording is used) or even reminds me of violence or crimes against women.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
Me and my grand daughters love scary movies and make it our job to scare each other. I still owe the oldest one for hiding in the shower. I'd love to have one of these. For something like this, you just have to know your audience.

My mom was born in 1926 and told me they really did tip cows and outhouses. Poor cows. I'd rather have peeper face than one of those fake winning lottery tickets. Now that would pizz me off.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
For those waxing nostalgic about how Halloween should be a kids' holiday "again," let us not forget that the reason we sanitized it post-WWII is that in the couple/few decades before that, letting the kids out meant, literally, "tricks" such as setting buildings on fire, or rather large-scale theft.

Given that, I'll take the Peeper Creeper.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well lets be honest, this item was designed especially to use to scare people. If you watch the video, the inventor talks about how to properly use it, and it is meant to scare people in their own homes.

I like your honesty. We agree that the item was designed to scare your friends and have a good laugh.

The item is not intended to be used maliciously. To be honest, it's possible that it could be, but so could the hammers Home Depot also sells.

Quote:

Not selling something isn't banning it. Not the same thing by a mile.

You're splitting hairs. The people who are complaining about the item want it banned and probably aren't sophisticated enough to realize it can still be bought on the internet. We are giving in to the lowest common denominator in society and I object to that.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,673 times
I am guessing this thing could result in a lot of unnecessary calls to police.
For a lot of people, thinking a strange man is peering in your window is not funny, and that does not make them killjoys.
You cannot compare cobwebs and skeletons to the threat of someone raping or killing you.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The people who are complaining about the item want it banned and probably aren't sophisticated enough to realize it can still be bought on the internet.
I would imagine that there are different reasons people (mostly parents) want it banned from those who just don't want it sold. But to refer to those people as "unsophisticated enough to realize it can still be bought on the internet" is just pitiful and uneducated, as well as hurtful. It's also totally irrelevant.

There are still many shoppers who try to purchase from local merchants, try to buy things made in the Unitied States of America (or at least Canada or Mexico) to help out their neighbors and their jobs, because they want the stores in their neighborhoods, not because they don't know how or don't wish to purchase junk on the Internet.

It takes no sophistication whatever to shop on the Internet. It takes a sense of pride and commitment and not to be just a cheapskate to seek out your local stores, get in the car, go over there and interact with the fine people who are just trying to do their best in their own communities.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
On sale at Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Sca...peeper+creeper

Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
I actually saw one of these things at Home Depot near us and I personally thought it was creepy to look at. I told my husband I would probably crap myself if I saw that looking in my windows - it looked that realistic to me. Given that it would be dark outside .....hmmm. I am NOT a person who is afraid of the dark or scary movies or such, but real life horrors are more terrifying than anything hollywood could come up with IMHO...

Given the fact that there actually are creeps who actually do go around peeping in people's windows - I don't think they need an encouraging boost. I don't care if it is Halloween, or Mother's Day. This this is creepy. Don't ban it - but be careful that you don't use it somewhere where you may give someone a heart attach, or have someone rush out of the house with a gun and start shooting. These days you never know who or what is lurking outside in the dark.

As far as taking "the fun" out of Halloween for the youngsters, that happened years ago when someone decided it would be "fun" to lace the candy with razor blades or drugs, or bits of broken glass and stuff. It became another holiday for grownups to pretty much act like fools and drink too much while wearing ridiculous costumes - or pretty much like any other weekend night!! I agree with another poster - I see nothing funny about window peepers, being scared in one's own home, malicious destruction in the name of celebrating a nostalgic good old time Halloween like in the old days , and such.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:21 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I would imagine that there are different reasons people (mostly parents) want it banned from those who just don't want it sold. But to refer to those people as "unsophisticated enough to realize it can still be bought on the internet" is just pitiful and uneducated, as well as hurtful. It's also totally irrelevant.

There are still many shoppers who try to purchase from local merchants, try to buy things made in the Unitied States of America (or at least Canada or Mexico) to help out their neighbors and their jobs, because they want the stores in their neighborhoods, not because they don't know how or don't wish to purchase junk on the Internet.

It takes no sophistication whatever to shop on the Internet. It takes a sense of pride and commitment and not to be just a cheapskate to seek out your local stores, get in the car, go over there and interact with the fine people who are just trying to do their best in their own communities.
it takes someone who has too much time on there hands, and money to waste commuting for no reason. It takes someone socially inept to go to a store so they can interact with a cashier who is just trying to earn a paycheck, and doesn't realize those people are talking to them and being polite because they are paid to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events