Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 PM

102,403 posts, read 108,748,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Fortunately she is evidently being released. The publicity should be a warning to future travelers.
This is good news. Not good news that rapists aren't viewed as criminals there, though.
BTW, were the men married? Does no one care about their adulterous behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:59 PM

13,596 posts, read 7,552,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's sad watching people trying to excuse the laws and treatment of women (and others) in a foreign country because of motivations undoubtably linked to taking sides over the debate about immigration from countries like that.

What does this have anything to do with Muslim immigration. I would be very surprised if any UAE citizens are wanting to immigrate to Europe or United States.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 PM

26,220 posts, read 21,749,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You seem to be hung up on the word "fault".

My parents drilled into me (I am male, if that is of any relevance) all the things to stay away from when in college. I followed their advice and led a trouble-free life. I suppose that I should've listened to wizards like you and done dangerous things and used the excuse "But it wasn't my FAULT!" when I got into trouble.
Take it easy with the ridiculousness. Smiling at someone isn't "dangerous things"

Old 11-23-2016, 02:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,571,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
By that I meant alot of people think its all desert and bombed out building. While women's rights are still big issue in many places, people tend to assume its all the same throughout the entire middle east. It isn't.

Having lots of modern skyscrapers & an indoor snow skiing facility does not bring a country out of the dark ages regarding women.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Having lots of modern skyscrapers & an indoor snow skiing facility does not bring a country out of the dark ages regarding women.
Where did I say it did?

Love when people put words in a post that just aren't there....

Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
In an update on BBC TV news in the U.K., all charges have been dismissed against the woman, BUT, the Dubai Public Prosecutor's office has now issued a statement saying that the "act" occurred with the consent of all three participants!
I'd have been inclined to believe that they would still have seen that as adultery, but perhaps there's a loophole for a threeway.
What I had read yesterday was that if CCTV had caught the three walking into the room, it would be considered consensual and not rape -- despite whatever transpired behind a closed hotel room door. Images of her being dragged kicking and fighting would have made her accusation of rape more probable.

At least the charges were dismissed but that doesn't change anything. There's nothing to prove that it was or wasn't rape; there's only the Dubai Public Prosecutor's office statement. I can only guess that since women aren't looked upon as equals that they viewed this as two men sharing a lesser female as opposed to a three-way.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
By that I meant alot of people think its all desert and bombed out building. While women's rights are still big issue in many places, people tend to assume its all the same throughout the entire middle east. It isn't.
No, they do not.

When you enter into countries where women may or may not be allowed to drive a car, you need to know what you're getting yourself into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Traveling to many of these counties is not only a travel in space, but a travel back in time.

Well said.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,073,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, were the men married? Does no one care about their adulterous behavior?
Don't you know that women entice men who cannot control themselves, and that it's not their fault if they indulge?

This is the whole idea behind the hijab and burka, and general modest dress. Cover women up so they don't look too sexy and entice men. Blame is not at all placed on the men. It's sick. Then they are funny enough to say that wearing the hijab is a "choice." Perhaps it is, but it's a choice based on archaic and sexist views on women and sexuality. The basis of covering the woman's body and even hair is so men won't want to have sex with her. Because men apparently can't control themselves, we'll make the women suffer. Makes perfect sense.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:55 AM

79,104 posts, read 61,238,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What does this have anything to do with Muslim immigration. I would be very surprised if any UAE citizens are wanting to immigrate to Europe or United States.
because they're Muslim and the complaints have been backwards views on women and gays and other religions.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,064,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Mathguy is exactly right. It has plenty to do with Muslim immigration to the West. Some people in this thread are tripping over their virtual tongues to either blame the victim or excuse the caveman-like laws of the Middle East. Most of them are the same people who advocate for more "Syrian" migrants in Europe and the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events