Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:29 PM

102,405 posts, read 108,748,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Don't you know that women entice men who cannot control themselves, and that it's not their fault if they indulge?

This is the whole idea behind the hijab and burka, and general modest dress. Cover women up so they don't look too sexy and entice men. Blame is not at all placed on the men. It's sick. Then they are funny enough to say that wearing the hijab is a "choice." Perhaps it is, but it's a choice based on archaic and sexist views on women and sexuality. The basis of covering the woman's body and even hair is so men won't want to have sex with her. Because men apparently can't control themselves, we'll make the women suffer. Makes perfect sense.

It sounds like men are the ones who should stay in the home, and women should fill all the jobs outside the home, if men are so hard to control. The men harass even 11 and 12-year-old girls who aren't old enough to start wearing a head covering. These are just men behaving badly because they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:05 PM
KCZ

4,698 posts, read 3,738,559 times
There are reports from multiple news sources that a video made with a phone belonging to one of the men showed this encounter was consensual. After it was thus determined that the rape accusation was unjustified, then the woman was arrested for extramarital sex. IF that is all true, it paints a very different picture of what actually happened. She goes from being a victim to being a liar who blatantly flaunted the host country's laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
...what shocked me was UAE still uses Stoning and flogging of woman as punishment. I'm sure those flashy tourism commercial's don't talk about.
This begs the question of why any woman would want to drop her tourist dollars in a country with these sexist laws and human rights violations.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post

This begs the question of why any woman would want to drop her tourist dollars in a country with these sexist laws and human rights violations.
If you think everyone should boycott travel to countries with human rights violations, that wouldn't leave very many countries, if any at all, on the "allowed" list. The US wouldn't pass muster.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,073,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you think everyone should boycott travel to countries with human rights violations, that wouldn't leave very many countries, if any at all, on the "allowed" list. The US wouldn't pass muster.
Well there's water boarding terrorists then there's arresting rape victims...

I know which country I'm safer in and it's not the one where I will be arrested for being a rape victim.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:00 PM

If she lied about the rape, how unsafe was she? If she hadn't chosen to lie (heaven knows what her motives were...?!), nothing would have happened.

It turns out she's separated from her husband; they're in a divorce process. She went to Dubai planning to party.

A judge had to watch the phone video of her having sex with the 2 guys in order to make a determination in the case. WTH was she thinking, letting one of the guys video everything?

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/c...t-her-dropped/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-25-2016 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 11:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,073,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If she lied about the rape, how unsafe was she? If she hadn't chosen to lie (heaven knows what her motives were...?!), nothing would have happened.

It turns out she's separated from her husband; they're in a divorce process. She went to Dubai planning to party.

A judge had to watch the phone video of her having sex with the 2 guys in order to make a determination in the case. WTH was she thinking, letting one of the guys video everything?

Dubai rape case: Woman who claimed two West Midland men attacked her has case against her dropped « Express & Star
Whether or not she's lying isn't relevant. Right in your article I found the problem: "could have faced jail if found guilty after a trial of having extra-marital sex."

Obviously lying about a rape is awful for many reasons but that's not the issue here. The issue is UAE's archaic and sexist laws and values. These laws are about more than this woman, who may or may not have lied. Had she not lied, she wouldn't have been unsafe in her exact situation, sure... but that doesn't mean other women living in and visiting Dubai and elsewhere in the UAE are safe. Any woman who is raped could potentially be prosecuted for it if she is married, it seems. That doesn't sound like safety to me. I want the laws on my side when I'm a victim. I know no legal system is perfect. But this story is about far more than just this particular story and scenario. In other ME countries, women are frequently killed by their families for being raped (honor killings). What goes on in that region is appalling and this type of law is the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,414,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I was also surprised but what shocked me was UAE still uses Stoning and flogging of woman as punishment. I'm sure those flashy tourism commercial's don't talk about.

This is why I said do some research into a country before you travel there their laws may be very different from western country's. I think the news media needs to do a better job of making these things known to westerners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_..._Arab_Emirates
Another issue that can affect travellers is that some nations have compulsory military service and consider anyone with a parent who was a citizen of that nation to be a citizen as well regardless of whether or not that person was born there or, indeed, had ever previously set foot there. There have been actual cases of young men visiting a country for the first time in their lives but one of their parents is or once was a citizen of that country, hence in the eyes of that nation the young men were citizens as well, and where taken into custody at the airport and forced to complete that country's mandatory period of military service. And this is perfectly legal under international law as long as the person is seized within the territory of that nation. People need to really research the laws of any foreign nation that they plan to enter.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,055,920 times
Yes, yes, we all know how reprehensible it is to violate the sanctity of victimhood.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be smart about what you do and where you go. Its incredibly stupid to go traipsing off to another country completely ignorant of the local customs and laws, especially if its located in the middle east. Its obvious this woman had no clue, or she would have never went to the authorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
In U.A.E. they have alcohol for tourists and expats in designated areas but expats living there have to purchase a permit to purchase and consume alcohol by the bottle at home. There is a fine otherwise. Saudi Arabia is more dry.
Plenty of muslims in the UAE drink at the hotels and bars.

There is (or was when I was there) plenty of alcohol available in Saudi. Of course its not open and in your face like Dubai and its illegal. But plenty of underground clubs and such exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I assume this is a one-off that will be corrected by there leaders.
This is a lack of understanding of the culture and Islam in many middle east countries. There are tons of similar stories just like this, in Dubai. When western culture/norms clash with Islam in places like the UAE.....the religious authorities like to make examples and even the despots ruling these petty kingdoms have to bow to them to keep the peace. Yes, in high profile cases they might decide to step in and issue a pardon but generally they do not. Other places in the middle east are much worse in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am surprise this happened in Dubai. I have been to Dubai few years ago and I am going back again next year as a pit stop on my way to far east. I found Dubai to be extremely safe for women as safe as Paris was and I would say safer than Rome when I traveled those area alone. Most people there are on worker visa and if they do anything wrong, they will get kicked out of the country
Yes, as far as normal criminal activity goes, Dubai is safer than those places you mention. The punishment for theft and other such crimes are so severe its just not worth the risk. That doesn't make it safe for everyone, it just makes you ignorant of the laws and culture there. There is a lot of rape in these places, even Dubai. Its just never reported and if it is its never classified as rape. Most of it is against immigrant workers (maids) and such. But it does happen to clueless tourists. You see the law there is that if some guy rapes you, then you need several male witnesses to testify on your behalf or a confession from the rapist. If you don't get that then you get charged with having sex outside of marriage. The punishment ranges from imprisonment to stoning to death.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,732,581 times
I can't believe this tread is 8 page long over a women who obviously lied about her Rape case & hence she was charged at extreme case (for lying to authority & for adultery). Rape is serious crime but falsely accusing someone of rape is not much better as that accusation can ruin the innocent persons life. As far as I know, rape victims are not punished in Muslim countries or in general in ME. typically there is more to the story then simple/random rape, as it was in this ladies case.

Yes I am aware that immigrant workers (mostly maids and nanny's) who are abused by their boss and those case go unreported because it is her word vs. his word. In most case the Emiratis believe their own before they will believe a foreign worker. Rape is very hard to prove in most case. Most of ME have "won't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to people privet business. They do not go around finding men/women who committee adultery or other sin. But when there is video proof brought into authority, its hard for the to look the other way

Old 11-27-2016, 06:04 PM
KCZ

4,698 posts, read 3,738,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
As far as I know, rape victims are not punished in Muslim countries or in general in ME. typically there is more to the story then simple/random rape
Google "rape victim stoned" and you will find plenty of cases where rape victims were convicted of adultery and stoned to death in many Muslim countries, not limited to the ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events