Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,517,609 times

Advertisements

Womens' rights in ME yeah right very sorry for victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,009,500 times
To be fair, the UAE are just being good Muslims.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:25 PM

78,713 posts, read 60,892,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
The United Arab Emirates is infamous for it's backwards/corrupt legal system. There are numerous stories of people getting arrested for something that would be trivial in most places (ie debtors prisons still exist, homosexuality/premarital sex is illegal along with apostasy, labor laws that allow mistreatment of guest workers, etc). Why anyone from any first world country would willingly vacation or work there is beyond me considering that there are a few Muslim countries like Turkey where doing any of the above would not mean jail time.
^^^This. Same way I feel about going to any country in the carribean or south of the border where the resorts perimeter is patrolled by guys with machine guns and you do not leave the resort unless in large groups with a guide and perhaps a few guards.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:31 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the key here. Yes, rapes happen everywhere. But, no, not everywhere has such backward laws as UAE where you can be charged with adultery for being raped.
Yes, of course, but I was addressing a comment about risk factors. The risk factor of a Westerner getting raped in UAE is a lot lower than in her own country. But once an assault happens, the risk of her going to jail for being victimized, obviously, is much higher. But in order for that second risk factor to kick in, an incident needs to occur, and the risk of that is low. Unless she hangs out with some partying expats, or something. Sure would be informative to know more about the story.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
The United Arab Emirates is infamous for it's backwards/corrupt legal system. There are numerous stories of people getting arrested for something that would be trivial in most places (ie debtors prisons still exist, homosexuality/premarital sex is illegal along with apostasy, labor laws that allow mistreatment of guest workers, etc). Why anyone from any first world country would willingly vacation or work there is beyond me considering that there are a few Muslim countries like Turkey where doing any of the above would not mean jail time.
And what do you know--they're one of the US' staunchest allies!

Old 11-20-2016, 08:56 PM

18,565 posts, read 7,410,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let's not forget that the woman was attacked by her own countrymen!
I doubt it. They may live in the UK, but I doubt they're actually British.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,266,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Dubai is a major luxury tourist destination. As well as a medical destination.

Beyond that, people travel for many reasons. Family back there. Historical destinations. Missionaries. Press (like this lady). TONS of business.

People are so misinformed about "the Middle East".
Yes, it sounds like you are one of the misinformed.

Dubai is a high rolling, luxury city, and you can have a lot of fun there... if you're a man. If you're a woman, then you have less rights than you're accustomed to in the states. It's as simple as that.

I've been there on business for two months before. My mother and my aunt wanted to come on vacation while I was there. A guide for them was not absolutely necessary... but very wise to have.

My mother and aunt are in their late 60's. Not much danger of being kidnapped or sold into slavery at that age, but it's not unheard of. For a young woman up til about 35-40... If you visit you should ideally travel with a man, preferably a husband, that you can prove you are married to if you get into trouble.

Movies and such like to show Dubai as flashy and trendy, and it certainly can be... but a woman needs to understand that there is real danger in traveling there unaccompanied, and even if she is with someone, her word is worth a lot less than a man's is.

My wife initially wanted to go with me for about a week, but after talking with coworkers who had already been over there, we decided it just wouldn't be wise. She would have been alone while I was working, and any number of things could happen to her during the day while she was outside the hotel.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,266,102 times
Quote:
Yes, of course, but I was addressing a comment about risk factors. The risk factor of a Westerner getting raped in UAE is a lot lower than in her own country. But once an assault happens, the risk of her going to jail for being victimized, obviously, is much higher. But in order for that second risk factor to kick in, an incident needs to occur, and the risk of that is low. Unless she hangs out with some partying expats, or something. Sure would be informative to know more about the story.
No, it isn't.

This is a pretty good summation of a woman traveling to Dubai... and they're being pretty generous in my opinion.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/united-a...men-travellers

Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,290,177 times
Quote:
I would assume alcohol was involved, but you never know. Is alcohol even available in countries where Islam prohibits drinking?
It depends on the country we're talking about in the Middle East and North Africa. Egypt's number one industry is tourism so they have alcohol available for the tourists. It frowned upon mostly for locals to drink it but 95% of the country smokes hashish. Go figure? Israel has alcohol as well. In U.A.E. they have alcohol for tourists and expats in designated areas but expats living there have to purchase a permit to purchase and consume alcohol by the bottle at home. There is a fine otherwise. Saudi Arabia is more dry.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:12 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,603,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Why would anyone travel to the middle east?

Good question, Dubai is advertised on TV a lot in the UK, it looks great in the commercials, outstanding architecture, roaring around sand dunes in a 4X4 vehicle, beautiful man-made beaches, and the one constant that Brits crave, THE SUN.
I know a few people that have been there, and they praise it to the skies, but I wouldn't take a chance personally.
I've never been there, but in the 80s I went to Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Israel and Lebanon.
I wouldn't even go as far as visiting Turkey now, too near the badlands.
It could be just my luck that the cab driver from the airport has been nursing a grudge against Westerners, and decides that today he'll strike a blow for Islam by cutting my throat.
I'll carry on taking a chance on getting mugged on 42nd. St., or downtown Tampa FL., I don't think the yanks are still upset about 1812, and with my London accent, no latter day Reb is going to confuse me with someone from Ohio, and take revenge for Vicksburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events