Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:50 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,242,320 times

Advertisements

If the victim had done any research before traveling she surely would have known what would happen if she reported the rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,792,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Dubai is a major luxury tourist destination. As well as a medical destination.

Beyond that, people travel for many reasons. Family back there. Historical destinations. Missionaries. Press (like this lady). TONS of business.

People are so misinformed about "the Middle East".
Misinformed? Any country that prosecutes a victim of rape is NOT a country I want to go to!! It basically reiterates the fact that women there are treated like garbage and men can basically do what ever they want to them. Why on Earth would ANY woman want to go there?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:31 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Misinformed? Any country that prosecutes a victim of rape is NOT a country I want to go to!! It basically reiterates the fact that women there are treated like garbage and men can basically do what ever they want to them. Why on Earth would ANY woman want to go there?
By that I meant alot of people think its all desert and bombed out building. While women's rights are still big issue in many places, people tend to assume its all the same throughout the entire middle east. It isn't.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,668,984 times
Traveling to many of these counties is not only a travel in space, but a travel back in time.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:09 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,465,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
For some people, business and/or pleasure seeking will always trump the risk factor. Or it's the "that will never happen to me" syndrome. Or both.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:40 AM

6,625 posts, read 6,593,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
For some people, business and/or pleasure seeking will always trump the risk factor. Or it's the "that will never happen to me" syndrome. Or both.
Business I understand, but the men there don't think women should be in the work force (slaves are ok), let alone hold an important corporate job..

Pleasure seeking? I can seek pleasures in far safer countries, thanks.

It would never happen to me syndrome? I wouldn't go there to find out that it would.

Last edited by gouligann; 11-20-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-20-2016, 03:45 PM

102,402 posts, read 108,748,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Let's not forget that the woman was attacked by her own countrymen! You can't blame Middle-eastern society for that. It's something that could have happened anywhere, including back home. Sure, the repercussions would have been different, but the perps are the kind of scum that can be found anywhere, not just in India or the Middle East. I sure would like to know more about the case--is there any more info available since the story broke? I would assume alcohol was involved, but you never know. Is alcohol even available in countries where Islam prohibits drinking?

Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 PM

30,772 posts, read 18,510,164 times
And if you attack these laws you're an "Islamaphobe" Prayers go out to this woman, who is being victimized again

Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 PM

30,772 posts, read 18,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let's not forget that the woman was attacked by her own countrymen! You can't blame Middle-eastern society for that. It's something that could have happened anywhere, including back home. Sure, the repercussions would have been different, but the perps are the kind of scum that can be found anywhere, not just in India or the Middle East. I sure would like to know more about the case--is there any more info available since the story broke? I would assume alcohol was involved, but you never know. Is alcohol even available in countries where Islam prohibits drinking?
That's the key here. Yes, rapes happen everywhere. But, no, not everywhere has such backward laws as UAE where you can be charged with adultery for being raped.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM

605 posts, read 674,299 times
The United Arab Emirates is infamous for it's backwards/corrupt legal system. There are numerous stories of people getting arrested for something that would be trivial in most places (ie debtors prisons still exist, homosexuality/premarital sex is illegal along with apostasy, labor laws that allow mistreatment of guest workers, etc). Why anyone from any first world country would willingly vacation or work there is beyond me considering that there are a few Muslim countries like Turkey where doing any of the above would not mean jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events