Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,942,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Actually, it was totally the fault of the bellboy.

P.S. I have traveled in mexico and central america and that was never a social norm, at all.

You seem to be hung up on the word "fault".

My parents drilled into me (I am male, if that is of any relevance) all the things to stay away from when in college. I followed their advice and led a trouble-free life. I suppose that I should've listened to wizards like you and done dangerous things and used the excuse "But it wasn't my FAULT!" when I got into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,942,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I doubt it. They may live in the UK, but I doubt they're actually British.

How do you know that? Are you psychic?

When someone reports a rape in India, I assume that the perp. is most likely Indian, not Uruguayan. Last time I checked, Britain was mostly full of...wait for it...BRITS.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,603,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
How do you know that? Are you psychic?

When someone reports a rape in India, I assume that the perp. is most likely Indian, not Uruguayan. Last time I checked, Britain was mostly full of...wait for it...BRITS.

I'm with you on this, I think that the person who posted that the perps were probably not British, even though they lived there, is harking back to the scandal of the last few years, where young, impressionable girls, from Rotherham, Yorks, and other northern cities, girls aged 12 to 15, were plied with drink and drugs, and passed around like bits of meat, and even pimped out to other areas, most of those caught and charged with this were British citizens, of Pakistani extraction.
Naturally, like you, I have no idea of the circumstances of this case, but I'm inclined to believe, absent any evidence to the contrary, that the guys were white British, assuming the woman was too.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,948,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Dubai is a major luxury tourist destination. As well as a medical destination.

Beyond that, people travel for many reasons. Family back there. Historical destinations. Missionaries. Press (like this lady). TONS of business.

People are so misinformed about "the Middle East".
...and in todays world Dubai is an international business destination and major logistics hub. At this point it's like saying "why would anyone travel to London (or Singapore, or Shanghai, or New York City, etc.).

Old 11-21-2016, 08:35 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,190,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
British woman arrested in Dubai after reporting rape, group says - CNN.com

Why do people not research laws in the middle east before they go there.
Maybe instead the question should be "why is it OK for there to be anywhere in the world where the victim gets arrested and not the rapist?"? That thought didn't cross your mind? Or, in the event no rape had occurred, how about "why is it OK for any government to act as morality police and regulate consensual sex between adults?"?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,917,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You seem to be hung up on the word "fault".

My parents drilled into me (I am male, if that is of any relevance) all the things to stay away from when in college. I followed their advice and led a trouble-free life. I suppose that I should've listened to wizards like you and done dangerous things and used the excuse "But it wasn't my FAULT!" when I got into trouble.
A man forcing himself onto a woman (or man) when it clearly isn't wanted (as evidenced by her pushing and trying to get away) is 100% the fault of the perpetrator. Sexual assault victims are not at fault. Period. You can not rape or sexually assault your self.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,261,865 times
Infidels (kafirs) are not in the same protected status as believers, in Islam.
Furthermore, the rapists can lie about it, and not violate the tenets of Islam.
. . .
Mohammed promotes kidnapping, ransom and rape of non-Muslims

http://hadithcollection.com/sahihmus...mber-3371.html
Abu Sirma said to Abu Sa'id al Khadri (Allah he pleased with him): O Abu Sa'id, did you hear Allah's Messenger (May peace be upon him) mentioning al-'azl? He said: Yes, and added: We went out with Allah's Messenger (May peace be upon him) on the expedition to the Bi'l-Mustaliq and took captive some excellent Arab women; and we desired them, for we were suffering from the absence of our wives, (but at the same time) we also desired ransom for them. So we decided to have sexual intercourse with them but by observing 'azl (Withdrawing the male sexual organ before emission of semen to avoid conception). But we said: We are doing an act whereas Allah's Messenger is amongst us; why not ask him? So we asked Allah's Messenger (May peace be upon him), and he said: It does not matter if you do not do it, for every soul that is to be born up to the Day of Resurrection will be born. (Sahih Muslim 3371)

http://www.politicalislam.com/blog/i...very-and-rape/
All morality in Islam is patterned after the example of Mohammed. Everything that he did and said defines what is permitted or “good”. Mohammed repeatedly sanctioned forced sex (rape) with kafir females after they were captured. The Hadith clearly reports that he got first choice of the women. In one case, he repeatedly demanded one particular woman for himself and swapped two other kafir slave women for his choice. So if Mohammed was involved in the rape of kafirs, then rape is a virtue, not a sin or error.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM

13,427 posts, read 7,423,380 times
I'm not blaming the woman, but in that country legally rape is blamed on the woman. I would not travel to a county which has such laws is what I'm trying to say.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,603,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
...and in todays world Dubai is an international business destination and major logistics hub. At this point it's like saying "why would anyone travel to London (or Singapore, or Shanghai, or New York City, etc.).
I think that the glaring difference Dd, is that if a woman reported that she was raped in NYC, or London, she wouldn't be charged with adultery.
I've seen a bit more on this particular case in Dubai, apparently the woman didn't know the two men, but went to their hotel room willingly after being invited, perhaps not wise, but still hardly ASKING for it.
As a younger man, I've invited girls back to my hotel room, with my fingers crossed, but if they weren't interested when they got there, then that was the end of the story as far as I was concerned.
First report I read said that all three were on bail, after surrendering their passports, second one said that the two guys had already flown back to England.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:39 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,948,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I think that the glaring difference Dd, is that if a woman reported that she was raped in NYC, or London, she wouldn't be charged with adultery.
I've seen a bit more on this particular case in Dubai, apparently the woman didn't know the two men, but went to their hotel room willingly after being invited, perhaps not wise, but still hardly ASKING for it.
As a younger man, I've invited girls back to my hotel room, with my fingers crossed, but if they weren't interested when they got there, then that was the end of the story as far as I was concerned.
First report I read said that all three were on bail, after surrendering their passports, second one said that the two guys had already flown back to England.
I don't disagree.
I was really responding to one of the posters saying "why go to the Middle East in the first place" as if the woman was traveling by Camel to a desert outpost surrounded by bearded men with AK47s.

Dubai is a modern and sophisticated globally known tourist and business hub destination and if the rulers want to keep that designation that need to aspire to global standards. They usually are very aware of the discrepancy with local laws and western mores (the local citizens they would think nothing of throwing in jail and taking a cattle prod to, the visitors are treated with much more permissiveness), I assume this is a one-off that will be corrected by there leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events