Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
And the next question would be Got a Warrant?

I take it you are not a resident of Oakland or Berkeley?

Authorities act of every filed complaint... but they are not storm troopers and every time the police even hint of exceeding their authority careers are ruined... it is not an easy job...

I have plenty of complaints with Oakland but just as many for people who are unwilling to stand up and be counted.
Well, they could have used the health department backed by LEO's like they frequently do in AZ (assuming similar health laws) citing a public health issue. No warrant needed, OPEN THE DOOR is all that is said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
But it still takes someone to open the door...

Busting down the door is beyond the scope unless a warrant has been issued.

The uncle of a friend who was 33 years a school custodian was killed in Oakland... he woke to the sound of his front door being kicked in and grab his gun from the night stand... he thought it was a home invasion as had happened in the area...

The irony is Law Enforcement had a no knock warrant with the wrong address...

My own tenant, a preschool teacher with her 6 month old Granddaughter was held at gun point at 3 am with a no knock warrant... again wrong house.

Both happened in Oakland...

Old 12-06-2016, 08:00 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am amazed that California of all places did not require fire sprinklers in this warehouse as a retrofit.
California is rapidly turning into a Third-World environment with Third-World standards.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 12-06-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
California is rapidly turnong into a Third-World environment.
I've met a lot of property owners that do not speak of have a limited command of English... the notices mean nothing to them and they are accustomed to how things work back home.

The multi agency news conference is making all records available up to the fire and the mayor stressed the importance of a vibrant Arts Community...

Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
But it still takes someone to open the door...

Busting down the door is beyond the scope unless a warrant has been issued.

The uncle of a friend who was 33 years a school custodian was killed in Oakland... he woke to the sound of his front door being kicked in and grab his gun from the night stand... he thought it was a home invasion as had happened in the area...
And he was right. Those cops should be doing life without parole. The judge too. It's hard to imagine a situation that would justify the issuance of a no-knock warrant. Even if the cops go to the *right* address, there's no reason the people inside should think the home invaders have legal authority to enter.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am amazed that California of all places did not require fire sprinklers in this warehouse as a retrofit.
I thought mandatory retrofit was for apartment buildings and townhouses? Both the owner and the lessor claimed that there was no one living in the building.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well...it was stated on the news there were about 20 renters at any one time. One woman who left a few years ago because of safety concerns said she was paying 700 a month. A Craigslist ad was found priced at 500 a month. A simple warehouse like this is cheap rent wise, so it's conceivable Derick was pocketing over five grand a month. For very substandard housing. I think slum lord is the right word, but he's also is willing to live in that slum with his wife and three children. Who interestingly were at a hotel that night...so they all knew about the rave, unpermitted....and left. As did several other residents...
According to one source the rent that Derick Almena was renting the warehouse from the Chor Nar Siu Ng for $5,000 a month, so I'm pretty sure he was making enough to cover that. Also, at some point CPS was called and the kids were removed from the premises but later returned Couple In Charge of Ghost Ship Lost Kids to Child Protective Services While Living in Oakland Warehouse | East Bay Express

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 PM

13,313 posts, read 7,353,468 times
Looking at the pictures before the fire place looked inside lot of artist built cool looking stuff too bad it burned up.
Inside Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Before the Fire | Rolling Stone

The place wasn't a pig sty I can find "Legal" housing that looks like a dump this place wasn't what people are trying to make it to be lot of artist were trying to live there most artist starve living in that part of California cost of living is crazy.

If they had someone to fix the electrical issues probably would have never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
According to one source the rent that Derick Almena was renting the warehouse from the Chor Nar Siu Ng for $5,000 a month, so I'm pretty sure he was making enough to cover that. Also, at some point CPS was called and the kids were removed from the premises but later returned Couple In Charge of Ghost Ship Lost Kids to Child Protective Services While Living in Oakland Warehouse | East Bay Express
Any place where a number of people live lower cost housing you can find CPS was called in at one time I think that story was a low blow to the victims of this place.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I thought mandatory retrofit was for apartment buildings and townhouses? Both the owner and the lessor claimed that there was no one living in the building.
One of the properties I manage is a medical clinic... in 22 years the man that owns the property has never seen it... he has never ever seen it.

The California property was bought as part of a portfolio by a wealthy individual in New Jersey and the Hospital has a long term triple NNN lease as we are responsible for everything... we built the property...

Just like the city of Oakland sold city hall and does not own it... yet, the city is responsible for everything under the terms of the lease...

It is very conceivable for owners of commercial property to have little to no contact when a NNN lease is in place...

Oakland is one of the most pro tenant rights jurisdictions in the country... as a residential landlord you are not permitted to give notice without a reason and the reason must be approved by the city and a copy of the notice submitted to the city for review.

In the old days if I had a tenant I was concerned about the simplest way out was simply not to renew the lease... this is no longer possible for most properties in the city...

I own part of a post office... I am the ONLY partner to ever set foot on the property... for the others it is simply a long term investment.

The same could be said about a friend of mine that rented his mother's home when she went into a assisted living facility... had a real estate company prepare the lease... my friend said he never hears a word, the rent is always paid early and the when he drove by it looked great... come to find out it was a grow operation and the inside of this million dollar home is all black mold... the owner and my friend her 67 year old son were victims...

Habitability laws apply to residential occupancies... just as places of assembly, hospitals all have specific requirements.

A warehouse leased for dry storage does not fall under residential or assembly requirements...

$5000 for a 5000 square foot warehouse is a dollar a foot... and is actually below market or what I would expect for an old empty building without amenities...

Oakland has one bedroom condos that rent for $2500... this was an entire warehouse for 5k...

The owner was not getting rich here... probably glad to have a tenant so the place would not be empty... which is another problem in Oakland.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Looking at the pictures before the fire place looked inside lot of artist built cool looking stuff too bad it burned up.
Inside Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Before the Fire | Rolling Stone

The place wasn't a pig sty I can find "Legal" housing that looks like a dump this place wasn't what people are trying to make it to be lot of artist were trying to live there most artist starve living in that part of California cost of living is crazy.

If they had someone to fix the electrical issues probably would have never happened.

Any place where a number of people live lower cost housing you can find CPS was called in at one time I think that story was a low blow to the victims of this place.
The photos of the place were older. A guy asked to see it recently, and the pictures he sold to the media are much different. It was like a rabbit warren, with small niches carved out of clutter and no real hallways anywhere. Just pathways through junk....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events