Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Looking at the pictures before the fire place looked inside lot of artist built cool looking stuff too bad it burned up.
Inside Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Before the Fire | Rolling Stone

The place wasn't a pig sty I can find "Legal" housing that looks like a dump this place wasn't what people are trying to make it to be lot of artist were trying to live there most artist starve living in that part of California cost of living is crazy.

If they had someone to fix the electrical issues probably would have never happened.

Any place where a number of people live lower cost housing you can find CPS was called in at one time I think that story was a low blow to the victims of this place.
The photos of the place were older. A guy asked to see it recently, and the pictures he sold to the media are much different. It was like a rabbit warren, with small niches carved out of clutter and no real hallways anywhere. Just pathways through junk....

It is however a testament to the need for low income housing. And housing that fits the needs of the people who rent it. A creative type needs a place to live and create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,045,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
But it still takes someone to open the door...

Busting down the door is beyond the scope unless a warrant has been issued.

The uncle of a friend who was 33 years a school custodian was killed in Oakland... he woke to the sound of his front door being kicked in and grab his gun from the night stand... he thought it was a home invasion as had happened in the area...

The irony is Law Enforcement had a no knock warrant with the wrong address...

My own tenant, a preschool teacher with her 6 month old Granddaughter was held at gun point at 3 am with a no knock warrant... again wrong house.

Both happened in Oakland...
Health inspectors don't need a warrant, at least here. From talking to health inspectors I know the cops use them on occasion to get into places they KNOW are drug houses or drug labs,etc but can't get a warrant due to lack of hard evidence.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:39 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It is however a testament to the need for low income housing. And housing that fits the needs of the people who rent it. A creative type needs a place to live and create.
Unfortunately it's also a testament for the need to uphold building codes. In light of what happened, was that housing really low-cost?

Municipal building codes and occupancy limits exist for very good reasons. Pretty much every building code in existence was written after a tragedy with mass fatalities proved the need for it.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:48 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is far from over...

Neighbors or other similar properties are demanding fire and building code inspections...

Very conceivable these type of occupancies will be cleared out.

On TV last night the city of Baltimore has already cleared out a similar set up in Baltimore.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
why does no one acknowledge that the warehouse manager is actually magician/sorcerer David Blaine?

Old 12-07-2016, 08:56 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I could be behind on the news, but weren't the codes upheld well enough, considering that it was supposed to only be a warehouse, and not zoned for residential purposes?
That was my point: residential building codes are stricter for a reason. When a warehouse goes up in flames, only stuff is lost. When a residence goes up in flames, human lives can be lost.

We do need more low-cost housing, but turning a blind eye to illegal subletting of a building not built to residential building codes is not the way to create it.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That was my point: residential building codes are stricter for a reason. When a warehouse goes up in flames, only stuff is lost. When a residence goes up in flames, human lives can be lost.

We do need more low-cost housing, but turning a blind eye to illegal subletting of a building not built to residential building codes is not the way to create it.
You are absolutely correct. Building codes are there for a reason. The last time I interviewed contractors for my house I was adamant about permits. If my project required one, I wanted one, no skirting around it. One guy was cut off this list because he told me permits were unnecessary. Even though he was doing electrical and plumbing.

Thanks to someone like him, my original garbage disposal was wired with telephone wire...and the large window installed in my kitchen had no header or footer or flashing, allowing rainwater to run through the only electrical plug box in the kitchen.

All the money I had saved on my bathroom being in pristine condition for remodel was spent fixing all that was wrong with my kitchen.

Point is we need safe places with sane pricing.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM

19,690 posts, read 12,270,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
According to news reports, the space was rented out 3 years ago as a warehouse. It met building code for a warehouse, but was not permitted for people to live there. The lease holder was living in the building with his family and was renting space for others to live there as well. One of his former renters said she slept with a fire extinguisher next to her bed because of the lack of sprinklers and adequate egress in the event of a fire. The lease holder is going to have a lot of explaining to do. And so will the owner if he/she knew people were living there.

These people saw what it was and chose to live there. Its not like anything was hidden.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:42 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,831,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
These people saw what it was and chose to live there. Its not like anything was hidden.
But they are all victims of gentrification. They had no choice!!! You can't possibly be an unemployed "artist" somewhere other then Oakland.

But on a serious note, most of the people that died didn't even live there. Yes, they certainly shouldn't be going to raves in shady warehouses but I do think most people that pay money to go to an event trust the promoters have done due diligence over the safety of the venue. Whoever was the promoter that put on the rave should be put to death weather it's that overgrown 12 year old Ion guy or someone else

Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,652,602 times
The people showing up for that rave...very few of them actually lived there. They were paying money for entrance into that rave. The idiots who "managed" or rented the building did the rave to raise money to pay the rent, according to news stories. Some victims may have lived there as resident artists who rented their spaces, but even they are still victims IMHO. When you have a situation that is a huge disaster waiting to happen, then it shouldn't have been allowed to exist in the first place. The city of Oakland is guilty big-time of neglecting to shut it down. The "managers" couple who rented the warehouse are definitely guilty also. Then there's the actual legal owner of the property...even though she claims she didn't know, I don't believe her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events