Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

this is a shining example of why we need the government to protect us from our own stupidity and greed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this is a shining example of why we need the government to protect us from our own stupidity and greed
No it's shining example of why people need to use their brain and think for themselves and not rely on the government or anyone else to bail them out

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I thought mandatory retrofit was for apartment buildings and townhouses? Both the owner and the lessor claimed that there was no one living in the building.
Depends on what state.

Most hotels yes.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
But they are all victims of gentrification. They had no choice!!! You can't possibly be an unemployed "artist" somewhere other then Oakland.

But on a serious note, most of the people that died didn't even live there. Yes, they certainly shouldn't be going to raves in shady warehouses but I do think most people that pay money to go to an event trust the promoters have done due diligence over the safety of the venue. Whoever was the promoter that put on the rave should be put to death weather it's that overgrown 12 year old Ion guy or someone else
Yes those people were just attending a party, it really is sad and some were just teens.

But the adults who lived there and paid rent are really complicit. I see it as a kind of commune where the people living there keep it going. It is not a normal rental situation, it is enabled by the "tenants". Because, artists are cool even if they live like homeless meth heads.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You are absolutely correct. Building codes are there for a reason. The last time I interviewed contractors for my house I was adamant about permits. If my project required one, I wanted one, no skirting around it. One guy was cut off this list because he told me permits were unnecessary. Even though he was doing electrical and plumbing.

Thanks to someone like him, my original garbage disposal was wired with telephone wire...and the large window installed in my kitchen had no header or footer or flashing, allowing rainwater to run through the only electrical plug box in the kitchen.

All the money I had saved on my bathroom being in pristine condition for remodel was spent fixing all that was wrong with my kitchen.

Point is we need safe places with sane pricing.
YES!!!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
No it's shining example of why people need to use their brain and think for themselves and not rely on the government or anyone else to bail them out

the people that lived and died in that warehouse tried it your way...and now look at them, they're dead

Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
These people saw what it was and chose to live there. Its not like anything was hidden.
He's still responsible for his illegal actions even if people knew they were renting an unpermitted space. Just like a drug dealer is subject to prosecution when he deals illegal drugs even though no one buying crack from him is under the illusion it's legal.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:34 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
the people that lived and died in that warehouse tried it your way...and now look at them, they're dead
The people that lived there didn't die there. They were all gone. The people that died were attending a rave. The people that chose to live there are subject to natural selection and they are all either drug addicts or mentally ill.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
"this is a shining example of why we need the government to protect us from our own stupidity and greed"

Quote:
"The Guberment"... There's the Feds aka "big government" that many people gripe about, but then there's "local government" as part of the community that most people agree have their purpose. Those are the ones that need to do their job in cases like this.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Health inspectors don't need a warrant, at least here. From talking to health inspectors I know the cops use them on occasion to get into places they KNOW are drug houses or drug labs,etc but can't get a warrant due to lack of hard evidence.
I've never seen a single health inspector kick in a door...

I have seen them red tag a building...

Even local law enforcement is reluctant to kick down doors unless SWAT or ATF

I had a 42" Oak door kicked in by police stating they got a 911 hang up call from my address and no one responded to the knock... we were all out.

I was out $980 and my deductible is $1000.

Later I learned the 911 records are not always accurate... especially with several addresses on the same parcel.

Heck... I was sued over a city sidewalk trip and fall... city sidewalk!!!

City of Oakland passed a law saying property owners are responsible for care and maintenance of city owned sidewalks bordering owners property... my Insurance paid and I was steamed... said it was cheaper to settle than to fight.

City even said no permit is required for up to 10 square feet of repair!!! how nice of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events