Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The purpose of juvenile law is to get kids back on the right track. That's why there are special courts for them, where the goal is rehabilitation rather than punishment. A child's living situation is looked at and taken into account, and their records are sealed and names not published in the media.

In this story this boy kicked a teacher's aid back in October, was subsequently homeschooled but returned to the school for "mandatory testing" where he was arrested without explanation and put in jail.

It's really hard to see that this case follows the mission of the Juvenile Justice System, IMHO.
Are these all the facts, though, or just what the mother chose to report?

'Someone recognized him and called the police' sounds like what happens when there is a restraining order. The aide, another classmate who had been assaulted, anyone who filed an RO could've called the police. If the mother knew there was one in place, it was a terrible thing to do for publicity.

Again we don't know all of the facts.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Who said jail? I said forcibly removed from the school and separated from the good kids who want to behave and learn. The parents then have the responsibility to home school or seek a placement if the violent tendencies are bad enough. But violent kids have absolutely no place in school. None. And we wouldn't need the police if teachers were allowed to grab the bad kids who want to violently act out and stick them in a room until the parents could come and take them away. But no, if a teacher even breathes on a violent kid, it's assault and we have a mommy or daddy with a camera ready to make a federal case. So yeah, we need the police to be able to come in and take care of business. Even for 10 year olds.
No, that is NOT what you said:

Quote:
Sorry, once a human being, of any age, begins the process of assaulting other human beings, they must be contained using force. I don't care about the age, sex, gender, religion, sensitivity, emotional state, disease state, none of it. It would be nice if we lived in a world with common sense where any adult in the room could grab the violent aggressor and contain and detain him in another room until the authorities could arrive, but we're so afraid of lawsuits now that the police have to be called in right away. So if that's how were going to play in Snowflake World, then yes, it is correct to arrest a 10 year old who is assaulting others. Or an 8 year old, or a 2 year old, or a fetus.
And in the case that this thread was about, the school this child was attending was supposedly an "alternative" school designated as being able to deal with behavioral issues.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:55 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Are these all the facts, though, or just what the mother chose to report?

'Someone recognized him and called the police' sounds like what happens when there is a restraining order. The aide, another classmate who had been assaulted, anyone who filed an RO could've called the police. If the mother knew there was one in place, it was a terrible thing to do for publicity.

Again we don't know all of the facts.
I never heard about a restraining order, I read that in October when he assaulted the employee he was suspended, his mother returned to the school with him so that he could participate in mandatory testing. A restraining order would have had to have been served on the mother and if she violated it, I'm pretty sure she would have gone to jail with her son.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:56 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You are being inflammatory. No child was hurt in this incident.

The child wasn't arrested at the time of the incident. But months later when he returned to school to take a test, not interact with peers.

The school must provide educational services as the law says, it doesn't have to be in school. In this case it wasn't. He was "home bound" which means teachers came to his home and he was "homeschooled".

No one was trying to shove anyone anywhere. You are trying to be inflammatory so you can cover for your bigoted remarks.

Having children with special needs and working with schools to try to get them the proper educational environment, I would be willing to guess they were flexing a muscle to try to push out the student totally so they wouldn't have to pay for the extra needs of the child, as our law states.
Obviously there are other details in this case that we don't know about. Apparently there is a long troubled history with this kid according to the TV report. And I do feel sorry for the mom. Being stuck with a kid like this must be a heartache. It is settled at this point that sociopaths can be identified by the age of 3, and their wiring is such that little can be done to reverse their course. So we modify where we can, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, if there are violent tendencies in a child, then that child needs to be out of mainstream schools, and I don't care what the ADA says.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Obviously there are other details in this case that we don't know about. Apparently there is a long troubled history with this kid according to the TV report. And I do feel sorry for the mom. Being stuck with a kid like this must be a heartache. It is settled at this point that sociopaths can be identified by the age of 3, and their wiring is such that little can be done to reverse their course. So we modify where we can, but it is what it is. Meanwhile, if there are violent tendencies in a child, then that child needs to be out of mainstream schools, and I don't care what the ADA says.
Stuck with this child? I am pretty sure she loves her child. Good lord.

The kid wasn't being "mainstreamed".

Come on now...

Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM

OMG I just read on CNN's story he was only arrested after he refused to do the state standardized testing. And the para filed charges to "try to get the ball rolling" to make sure the mom knew he needed more help.

This was an attempt to bully the mom, not teach the child anything. So sad. My heart breaks for her.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
OMG I just read on CNN's story he was only arrested after he refused to do the state standardized testing. And the para filed charges to "try to get the ball rolling" to make sure the mom knew he needed more help.

This was an attempt to bully the mom, not teach the child anything. So sad. My heart breaks for her.
The mom knew and brought him there?
Cheers to the Aide, or para professional.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
The mom knew and brought him there?
Cheers to the Aide, or para professional.
The mom was told the case was dropped. No one had come to her in the 6 months. She legally had to take him in for the test. The school only called to have the child arrested after he refused to take their stupid test.

You would have to have a special needs child and live in a state like Fl or Tx (or have empathy) to understand.

Denied - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
For all we know, the parents may be in denial of the extent of his disability. They may also be actively sabotaging whatever behavioral plan his teachers have tried to implement, to the point that he has become a menace. This would certainly not be unheard of. Holding the kid overnight seems extreme, but it may be that some sort of intervention was necessary.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
For all we know, the parents may be in denial of the extent of his disability. They may also be actively sabotaging whatever behavioral plan his teachers have tried to implement, to the point that he has become a menace. This would certainly not be unheard of. Holding the kid overnight seems extreme, but it may be that some sort of intervention was necessary.
There's definitely not enough info here to analyze in depth. We know what we know, and that's it. Anything else is speculative. And no, it is certainly not unheard of for parents to be in denial about the severity of their child's condition and just how much extra help and work they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events