Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 06:09 PM

749 posts, read 734,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Absolutely! When people say that, I am like..."what?". The prison and even death row is full of people with severely low IQs, and people who would have a variety of diagnoses. Even schizophrenia. The prison is the new mental hospital.

And then the "how did he make it to age 10" blah blah blah. The "in between" kids, with features of learning struggles, behavioral struggles and mental health struggles, who aren't *obviously* X are at the greatest risk to fall through the cracks and end up in prison, or in other rough situations.
Prison are also populated by extremely intelligent people who have made a lot of extremely stupid choices.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Nope. Not if you had parents who had a clue. You may have been awarded to foster parents if that was not the case. There were no 'madhouses and lobotomies' for rowdy 5 year-olds, even in the 50's. Mental illnes isn't something one just 'grows out of' big difference.
Actually, they DID used to do lobotomies on children. Google Howard Dully, who received a transorbital lobotomy in 1960 by Dr. Walter Freeman at the age of 12. 19 children were lobotomized by Dr. Freeman who were under the age of 18, including a 4 year old.

Dr. Freeman was the man who popularized the transorbital lobotomy in the mid 1900's, performing over 2900 lobotomies. PBS' American Experience series did an episode on him, called "The Lobotomist," which is the source of my information.

A quick Google search turns up the fact that MANY children, not just in the US, but in other countries as well, received lobotomies, many for behavioral problems or learning difficulties.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Absolutely! When people say that, I am like..."what?". The prison and even death row is full of people with severely low IQs, and people who would have a variety of diagnoses. Even schizophrenia. The prison is the new mental hospital.
Do you have any facts to substantiate this? Or just because you want to believe mentally ill get punished for assault and property damage, and being a sexual predator that they're all in prison?

The fact is: One cannot be convicted if they cannot participate in their own defense. They may get charged, but if their IQ is so low, or their mental illness is such that they cannot participate in their defense they get convicted of nothing.

The prisons are not the new 'mental hospital' as you so eloquently put it, the State facilities that are the last stopping place for the mentally ill and criminally inclined, after they have been kicked out of every other home and facility is the new prison system. Except: There will be no solitary confinement allowed, no restraints, no holds unless documented and approved by the state, and no punishment. Just 'respectful redirection'.

ETA: I personally know a nurse who was kicked in the head by a powerful (autistic) young lady, she was immediately unconscious, then diagnosed with a concussion, which actually turned into Traumatic Brain Injury. The perpetrator is NOT in jail, and the nurse can no longer work in her profession.

Last edited by RbccL; 04-22-2017 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Actually, they DID used to do lobotomies on children. Google Howard Dully, who received a transorbital lobotomy in 1960 by Dr. Walter Freeman at the age of 12. 19 children were lobotomized by Dr. Freeman who were under the age of 18, including a 4 year old.
You're right, I forgot about the in-office ice pick lobotomies as well. I think the criteria for a childhood lobotomy was more than being a 'rowdy 5 year old' as the poster to whom I was replying indicated. We're not going back in time, but the solutions to mainstreaming seem to be at a stand still.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm pretty sure something happens if someone does something like kill someone.
They can always evoke Kendra's Law if it is in NY State. That should be a federal law covering all 50 states.

It is named after Kendra Webdale, who was pushed in front of a subway train by a schizophrenic man who had been released from a mental health facility with few meds and little support. The law states that the court can require certain individuals to undergo involuntary treatment as a condition for living within the general population.

I was doing college fieldwork in NYC at this time and traveling on several subway lines when this happened in 1999. Needless to say, this scared me quite a bit.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You're right, I forgot about the in-office ice pick lobotomies as well. I think the criteria for a childhood lobotomy was more than being a 'rowdy 5 year old' as the poster to whom I was replying indicated. We're not going back in time, but the solutions to mainstreaming seem to be at a stand still.
I'm curious as to the case of the 4 year old. Dully was the only child they interviewed for the episode. He was described as being disrespectful and acring up by his stepmother. Dully says he felt that she was trying to replace his real mom and that acting out and being violent was the only way he could express himself.

He actually reads Freeman's notes from the consulting sessions.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I'm curious as to the case of the 4 year old. Dully was the only child they interviewed for the episode. He was described as being disrespectful and acring up by his stepmother. Dully says he felt that she was trying to replace his real mom and that acting out and being violent was the only way he could express himself.

He actually reads Freeman's notes from the consulting sessions.
Netflix. There's a documentary on that I believe, and I felt like the stepmother just wanted a zombie boy instead of having to think and find discipline solutions.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would say.........YES.

Read my post #88 about a huge teen who is out of control and a mother who is in denial.
Oh, I did. That story sounds familiar. I think I read about it on another BBS back when it was in the news.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
ETA: I personally know a nurse who was kicked in the head by a powerful (autistic) young lady, she was immediately unconscious, then diagnosed with a concussion, which actually turned into Traumatic Brain Injury. The perpetrator is NOT in jail, and the nurse can no longer work in her profession.
I walk dogs for a lot of elderly people in various places like Independent Living, Assisted, located with Skilled, Memory Care etc.

A Psyche RN I know told me it's totally common for the staff to make a mistake to their detriment.

Like one of her nurses was on her knees helping a man put on his BOOTS in memory care. (NEVER DO THAT!)

He kicked her in the face and broke all her teeth and jaw. The boots had metal tips.

I did volunteer work in Philly's Eastern State Hospital and was assigned the autistic BOY"S COTTAGE and I was only in high school.

The stories are abundant but the important one is when the 13 year old autistic boy weighing all of 120 lbs if that....picked up a 300 lb caregiver and tossed her through the gigantic window. I saw it with my own eyes.

My brother in law had the same talent. When he went on a tear, he'd toss all the heavy wood furniture out the door into the street. Weirdly, he got to be high functioning enough later in life that he took care of my MIL all by himself until she died with very limited supervision from my other BIL. In Greece.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Netflix. There's a documentary on that I believe, and I felt like the stepmother just wanted a zombie boy instead of having to think and find discipline solutions.
Yup. The same one I mentioned, in fact. I may watch it again. They don't have the streaming version, but I recorded it when it first aired on TV and I still have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events