Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 05:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
call me "sick" , but if a kid gets violent and his mother plays the " autism card, he does not belong in a public school with other kids.
She didn't play an 'autism card' he was diagnosed and placed in a special school

Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She didn't play an 'autism card' he was diagnosed and placed in a special school
The entire actions of the mother WAS ....."playing the autism card"

Old 04-22-2017, 05:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Amazing how these grown ass people have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. Just ridiculous what's going on now a days. Adults are making decisions which continue to fail our kids. Damn disgrace.
Gee... I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week if I had assaulted a teacher when I was his age, *ahem* 32 years ago.

What is a "damn disgrace" is when parents don't address their children's behavior and the consequences that stem from it. Is Mommy going to make excuses for him when he is a grown man and assaulting people because he can't control himself?

Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Thats what is supposed to happen when the cops take someone into custody. They patted him down. Then they cuffed and stuffed...I mean put handcuffs on him and placed him in the back of a cruiser. It was by their book and done in a way to ensure the safety of all those involved. When they go off book and do things differently and are rougher or softer with others is when things tend to go awry.
All the crying over when and where they took him it is silly too. They *could* have done it at his house or called the mom first but they didnt HAVE to.
So it comes down to the events that led up to this and where the blame and the figuring it all out should go. To the school, the teachers and the parents. They need to figure out how they failed this child. But assault and being arrested doesnt have to be figured out. Thats cut and dried.
What in the world are you talking about? This incident that resulted in a warrant for the child's arrest happened months earlier. The real questions here are:
1) Why would a judge sign an arrest warrant for a 10 year old boy with a behavioral disability
2) If it was 'necessary' to issue a warrant, why wasn't a notice to appear mailed to the child's parents so that they could take him to school.

And since when were 10 year olds are supposed to be "cuffed and stuffed" I worked in law enforcement and I can promise you that is not standard procedure in any Police Dept. that I'm familiar with

Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So much BS in this story. Always factcheck anything from Huffpo.

The mother had NO IDEA there was a warrant on her son even after she took him out of school after that violent episode?

Now She's ranting about being taken in in front of people.

I'll wait for the full story.

Some kids can't be mainstreamed. PERIOD.
If it's BS, why don't you fact check it for us?

Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Anyone who thinks that arresting a 10 year old autistic child and keeping him in jail overnight is reasonable and appropriate is one really sick individual.
Same way I feel when a parent hides behind a supposed "illness" and thinks its ok for her child to hit someone with out repercussions. These days, every child is either, has autism, or adhd, or some other illness.

Enough is enough, you hit a state employee, you get put in jail, period.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry - I know there were kids that probably had autism back in the day that weren't diagnosed with it. But in today's society almost everyone I know has a kid with ADHD, autism, Asperger's ect. I believe a lot of these labels are false - I believe a lot of parents use this excuse for bad parenting. Many today don't discipline their kids, feel guilty that they both have to work and give the kid everything they want - leading to these snowflakes in school who have no idea what the real world is all about.

I majored in special ed - so no one has to educate me on special needs - I changed course and went into medicine when I saw what the education system was coming to - dumbing down kids, not expecting them to take responsibility for their actions ect..

As I stated - the mom was there - something else happened at school that both she and the police had to be called and none of us know what that was. I do not agree with them handcuffing him but we have no idea what happened just before the arrest and mom is not going to publish it on Facebook - the liberal media wouldn't have as much outrage if they wrote about it and the school will pretty much keep their mouths shut because even if there was a viable excuse for what occurred - people have already made them out to be the bully by calling the police in the first place.

ITA to your 2nd paragraph especially. I went to college to become a teacher for the visually impaired and did my student teaching at the Jewish Guild for the Blind and at the Lighthouse, both in NYC, and both schools for multiply-impaired students for whom a mainstream school would have been inappropriate settings, blindness being the least of their issues.

I would have been working upstate as an itinerant, so I would have been dealing with much higher functioning students, and I'm glad I went on a completely different tack as far as employment goes after I graduated. I still got my B.A. if not my NYS certification.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
This is the real world. If a child can't go to school w/o physically assaulting others, he needs specialized schooling with people trained to deal with violent kids.

Autism is not an excuse for violence. He had better learn that lesson now, than later when he enters the working world. There are results from our actions. If you assault someone, you may get arrested. That's the real world.

If he had put your child's eye out because he couldn't control his anger, I doubt you'd be saying, "Oh, he has autism. Just send him home for some TLC and let him back in school tomorrow. It's not his fault he poked my child's eye out."
I agree with your first and last paragraph, but not what you put in the middle. This child may be severely autistic and uncontrollably violent, I don't doubt that, but IMO children like this do not belong in public schools and need special schools and services. BUT like I said, he is probably uncontrollably violent. It's not as if he can be easily taught to not do what he does. Autism is frustrating, sad, and difficult, for both parents and the sufferers. If it were as easy as teaching them to not be violent/allowing them to "learn a lesson", we'd have few violent autistic kids and teens.

The mother is criticizing the school for not having enough services for kids like him... but how much does she expect? Especially as he grows up? I know someone so severely autistic, he - as a teen and grown man - has left his petite mother bloodied and bruised. It's not his fault but it also shouldn't have to be tolerated by public school teachers and kids IMHO, and especially not with excessive, expensive services funded by taxes. I feel terrible for people with children with severe, nonverbal, and sometimes violent autism - but there is only so much that can be done in a public school setting. A child like this belongs somewhere else, for his sake and everyone else's.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:47 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Gee... I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week if I had assaulted a teacher when I was his age, *ahem* 32 years ago.

What is a "damn disgrace" is when parents don't address their children's behavior and the consequences that stem from it. Is Mommy going to make excuses for him when he is a grown man and assaulting people because he can't control himself?
I would say.........YES.

Read my post #88 about a huge teen who is out of control and a mother who is in denial.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Interesting you should say that. A large proportion of prison inmates actually do have intellectual disabilities and learning delays. If we caught those when these men and women were kids and worked with them, chances are they wouldn't be in jail today.
Absolutely! When people say that, I am like..."what?". The prison and even death row is full of people with severely low IQs, and people who would have a variety of diagnoses. Even schizophrenia. The prison is the new mental hospital.

And then the "how did he make it to age 10" blah blah blah. The "in between" kids, with features of learning struggles, behavioral struggles and mental health struggles, who aren't *obviously* X are at the greatest risk to fall through the cracks and end up in prison, or in other rough situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events