Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
One of her daughters told me that she had learned that when her mom was a teenager, she would constantly seek attention and get absolutely furious if she was ignored, she had huge mood swings, she loved everyone one minute and the next was convinced that everyone was out to get her. But she had 5 kids and the kids all recall being loved and well cared for by her, none of them ever felt that she was cruel. She would get drunk when her husband was working, dress up 'like a movie star' and run around the house dancing and singing with her kids until she would collapse from exhaustion. The kids were not told about the circumstances of her arrest until she had been in Napa for several years.
sounds bi-polar

Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
According to a 2007 U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics study approximately 59% of all prisoners - federal, state, local - have some sort of mental health issue or illness.

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=789
The Processing and Treatment of Mentally Ill Persons in the Criminal Justice System | Urban Institute

A survey by Dr. Janet Kramer, ADHD and the Justice System of 160 male inmates found that 59% of them screened positive for ADHD.

ADHD Justice Support Center » Findings

Other studies cited by National Center for Biotechnology Information, places the rate of ADHD among prison inmates somewhere between 20% and 45%.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16669717

Correctional Management and Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder | Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law

Some more information about mental health illness and cognitive disabilities in American prisons:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/dpji1112_sum.pdf

• An estimated 32% of prisoners and 40% of jail inmates reported having at least one disability.
  • Prisoners were nearly 3 times more likely and jail inmates were more than 4 times more likely than the general population to report having at least one disability.
  • About 2 in 10 prisoners and 3 in 10 jail inmates reported having a cognitive disability, the most common reported disability in each population .
  • Female prisoners were more likely than male prisoners to report having a cognitive disability, but were equally likely to report having each of the other five disabilities.
  • Non-Hispanic white prisoners (37%) and prisoners of two or more races (42%) were more likely than non-Hispanic black prisoners (26%) to report having at least one disability.
  • More than half of prisoners (54%) and jail inmates (53%) with a disability reported a co-occurring chronic condition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3016316/
Agreed. There are mentally ill people everywhere. Mentally ill people are the most likely to not be able to function in society, especially untreated.

Someone has to have a reading comprehension problem if I state the same thing 3 TIMES, and they still don't understand what the words mean.

What my post says is that a person cannot be convicted of anything if they are unable to participate in their own defense. If they are found to have an IQ low enough, mental illness severe enough, they will not be able to. This is a fact.

I have never said their are no mentally ill people in the prison system, that makes no sense!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Sorry, school is not a social lab experiment. It is a place to learn the subject matter provided by the teaching staff. If a child is going to disrupt that process and act violently, then he or she has to go. I'm not interested in the excuses or the phony illnesses that are used to excuse the bad behavior. In any case, either the violent kid is mentally ill, in which case he needs to be OUT of the normal school setting, or he is just a sociopath, in which case he needs to be OUT of the normal school setting.

I'm interested in protecting the environment for the good kids who want to learn and grow. The sick kids and the bad kids need to be in other settings where they can't damage the good kids. I don't believe in "mainstreaming", which is an excuse for dumping kids who are too expensive and inconvenient to deal with in the general population.

A 10 year old with true autism who kicks teachers or students should be out of the normal school and should receive a placement with specialized personnel trained to deal with his or her problems. A kid like that can hold back a whole class of normal kids, and that is not fair to the good kids who behave properly and are there for the intended purpose: to learn the subject matter.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law that requires schools to serve the educational needs of eligible students with disabilities. Schools must evaluate students suspected of having disabilities, including learning disabilities.

The law is the law- and I am not the person in charge to determine this child's needs- but what NORMALLY happens- is they are very, very slow to process this evaluation of the kids that need help.They have your mentality and you practically have to twist their arms and heads OFF, to get them to accept their school has a special needs student-
Now, some are better than others- and have designated classes and classrooms for them, as was the case for our Grandchild- but not all schools care to put their effort and funding towards special needs kids. I know all the laws and all the particulars and all the benefits as well-
People, are NOT perfect and the sooner all kids learn to be tolerant and accept they live in a big and sometimes imperfect world, the better they will adapt. maybe some will not hide in booze and drugs cause it's all too hard--- Stay in your bubble -- the rest of us have to grow and mature-

Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

A hallmark of autism and ADHD is impulsivity. Anyone with two neurons to rub together can deduce that a child with impulsivity control issues AND without behavior therapy is probably going to grow up continually doing ... impulsive things. Impulsivity rarely has desirable outcomes. That's just one of the many characteristics of autism and ADHD, if left unchecked, can manifest themselves into criminal behavior later on.
Show us where anyone disagreed with what your post states? It's common sense.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
sounds bi-polar
You're qualified to make a diagnosis how? Because you worked in a grocery store?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Agreed. There are mentally ill people everywhere. Mentally ill people are the most likely to not be able to function in society, especially untreated.

Someone has to have a reading comprehension problem if I state the same thing 3 TIMES, and they still don't understand what the words mean.:confused

What my post says is that a person cannot be convicted of anything if they are unable to participate in their own defense. If they are found to have an IQ low enough, mental illness severe enough, they will not be able to. This is a fact.

I have never said their are no mentally ill people in the prison system, that makes no sense!
In every population there is a little bit of everything everywhere- this is where SOME stuckups- have put on rose colored glasses and think they belong to some special society that is way above the rest- they have a HORRIBLE hatred for the ill, sick or poor etc. They do NOT accept them in society and we have to have marches and commercials and LAWS passed to make people AWARE? and treated with respect-
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law in 1990. The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public.

Glad God said some who think will be first will actually be last-- and the last will be first.
Many have stopped being human-

Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In every population there is a little bit of everything everywhere- this is where SOME stuckups- have put on rose colored glasses and think they belong to some special society that is way above the rest- they have a HORRIBLE hatred for the ill, sick or poor etc. They do NOT accept them in society and we have to have marches and commercials and LAWS passed to make people AWARE? and treated with respect-
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law in 1990. The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public.

Glad God said some who think will be first will actually be last-- and the last will be first.
Many have stopped being human-
You can quit smacking yourself in the head, you aren't stating any facts that I've disagreed with. Again, reading comprehension, works much more to your favor than a personal attack.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 AM

Apparently there are some parents of special needs children here who have become quite upset and defensive by some statements or facts. If you're going to direct your response to me, be sure you have the right poster and are responding to anything I've posted, not just defending yourself against a cruel world.

If I say a disability surely could have been caught by age 10, I'm responded to with: "in between not an x blah blah." And then high fives all around from those who apparently understand jibberish.This is an intelligent opinion?

If I state severe mental illness and low IQ are the reason some are taken care of by the state and not in the prison system, I get responded to with someone's thesis on the Americans with disabilities act?

Take a breath, no one knows your situation or what you've been through.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Complying with the ADA does not mean all schools must take all kids.

NYC board of education pays for private school tuition if the local school cannot meet the needs of students.

A kid i know was thought to be a little different at age 2 days. He got from one end of his baby bed to the other moving fast.

By preK, it was clear he was different in the classroom.

His mom started researching and told me all about ADHD, ADD and dyslexia. She said he would either be a cop or a robber. She made sure he could stay on the right side of the law.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
LOTS of over-generalizations here.

Before replying further, are you contending that ALL children with ALL cognitive disorders and mental health disorders be banned from mainstream schools?
Yes, absolutely if they pose a physical threat to other children or the staff, or have issues that CONSTANTLY disrupt mainstream classrooms.

Why should mainstream children have to
1, be on alert at all times not to aggravate a child with issues or
2, be afraid of being assaulted by the child with issues in the classrooms, or
3, miss part of their classes because the teacher is busy trying to gain control of the child with issues?

On the other hand... IF there are no behavioral problems other than the occasional mild upset that can be dealt with quickly, then NO, of course they should be integrated into the mainstream schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events