Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisbellamia View Post
back in my day, kids like that were institutionalized. Why is there anything wrong with that? If they can't operate in society without being drugged to the hilt, they need to live in a specialized place. They simply can't function in a normal atmosphere. If parents are going to insist on calling their kids "special", they need to put them in a "special" place where they won't disrupt the normal flow of life.
exactly !

Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I don't mean to disagree where you get your facts - but bloggers do not know everything and unfortunately are as biased in their opinions as the rest of us. This is what I've found out so far about the incident:

Two years ago John Benji was diagnosed with autism. Since the diagnosis, John Benji was given an individualized education plan and assigned a paraprofessional educator. Haygood said John Benji has been having issues with his aide, at one point even claiming he was hurting him.
The educator reported John Benji on October 27, 2016. According to the probable cause affidavit, John Benji was disrupting the class by “throwing paper balls around the classroom and hitting other students.”
John Benji then refused to go to timeout. The educator attempted to remove John Benji and place him back in the time out area. According to documents, John Benji began “kicking and scratching and punching.”
John Benji was restrained by the educator, who wrapped his arms around his upper torso so he would not cause any restriction to the child’s breathing.
From that incident, John Benji had an outstanding warrant, but the family says they were never aware of a warrant. As of now, John Benji’s arraignment is scheduled for May 11 of this year.

From the same article:

Haygood says her and her son were called into state standardizing testing April 12, 2017. While there, officers arrived and arrested her son for an incident that occurred in October of 2016.

Again - I'd like to know the background on what occurred that day. As stated - the child could have been picked up at his home and wasn't. Either another situation happened that day they went to school for the standardized testing or yes the police are incompetent. Even in a rural area - I would think that the police had the common sense to say this isn't right - arresting him at school over a year old warrant unless something else precipitated the arrest. With the social media world today - they would know that this would look poorly on themselves, the school and the town. Now maybe the police are all nitwits - but I don't think so and think there is more to the story.

Situations like these make the national news because of a Facebook, Twitter or youtube video or rant and then most times - information comes out - albeit too late - that tells the other side of the story and the truth is somewhere in between - meanwhile folks are outraged - the media again gets the response they wanted and a lot of us look like fools for jumping on the bandwagon.- but not for long because the media will find another story for us to be up in arms about.
My source is law enforcement- although I back them 100% most times -not sure about this one- I say this was a school problem- the police never know if the school never called --and apparently they do not know how to handle an autistic child. They are not always easy to deal with -I get that- but they should have mitigated the circumstance with the parent and an impartial clerk or some one from the court- or DCF - they do this ALL the time with school kids who get in those kinds of problems-BUT more so a child who is special needs in ANY category- THE school FAILED F-F-F and its is not the first time--

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
exactly !
rem what madonna said recently at the Woman's Day march-- MY SENTIMENTS exactly-
GMA, of special needs child-- and very proud of an angel from GOD sent here to teach people how to be HUMAN -- i better go--

Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
rem what madonna said recently at the Woman's Day march-- MY SENTIMENTS exactly-
GMA, of special needs child-- and very proud of an angel from GOD sent here to teach people how to be HUMAN -- i better go--
kinda hard to teach people how to be HUMAN when the "teacher"
is acting non-human.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Anyone who thinks that arresting a 10 year old autistic child and keeping him in jail overnight is reasonable and appropriate is one really sick individual.
He is a terrorist and no doubt had ISIS propaganda in his school backpack. Today a kick, tomorrow a bomb! Lock him up and throw away the key, ps, all other Florida criminals breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Last edited by KRAMERCAT; 04-21-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
call me "sick" , but if a kid gets violent and his mother plays the " autism card, he does not belong in a public school with other kids.
Then expel him. There's no reason to ruin his entire future life by arresting him.

Only in the USA would this happen. And it's why the Land of the 'Free' has the highest incarceration rate on the planet.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
No sympathy from me !
What a surprise!! I'd have been stunned if you DID show sympathy!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
What a surprise!! I'd have been stunned if you DID show sympathy!
after reading all the posts here, it appears the majority of posters are fed up with autistic kids being coddled and their mother defending them when they are violent.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Is autism attributes Involuntary? SUch as they literally have no control over their bodily actions? If so then I can be a bit understanding ...as I have involuntary Ticks so to speak. Never damage..

I will say that there has been a cloak of Coddling when hiding behind an ailment instead of working towards adjustments. Good luck "stepping" back when a person hauls off at you....Unless you are a ninja with quick reflex's your natural "actions" will be to defend your body from harm...Be it to constrain the assailant or obstruct further damage.

I'm tolerant til Pain is cast my way....then its protect, defend and deter. Safety 101.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Is autism attributes Involuntary? SUch as they literally have no control over their bodily actions? If so then I can be a bit understanding ...as I have involuntary Ticks so to speak. Never damage..

I will say that there has been a cloak of Coddling when hiding behind an ailment instead of working towards adjustments. Good luck "stepping" back when a person hauls off at you....Unless you are a ninja with quick reflex's your natural "actions" will be to defend your body from harm...Be it to constrain the assailant or obstruct further damage.

I'm tolerant til Pain is cast my way....then its protect, defend and deter. Safety 101.
Yes it's involuntary. But autistic kids can become less reactive with a lot of therapy and interventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events