Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A lesson hard learned early in life will, may save him a lot of grief much later on to learn that the law is nothing to be trifled with. It is a lesson best learned when young when no harm will come out of it.
Exactly. He is precisely at the formative age. Three or four more years down the road and he'll be a full-blown juvie if he doesn't learn to straighten out and fly right. Kicking people is not acceptable in any society at any age.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM

112 posts, read 133,071 times
A little mixed in how it's handled, but I don't think anyone deserves to be assaulted, period. I don't care the reason behind it in the slightest. How it is dealt past that could take that into consideration though (is therapy vs juive).

The arrest and charges might have been necessary just to get him out of school he doesn't fit in due to that "least restrictive environment" jazz which parents might push even when not appropriate for that child or anyone else who has to try to deal with him.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Autistic kids are not stupid. They know when they are doing something wrong, and if as a parent, you've been giving appropriate punishment instead of just sighing and blaming the disease, they know what the punishment is for.

At the time it was happening, he might not have understood why, but that's because his mother didn't answer the warrant.

As caretakers of Autistic kids, it is up to us to teach them right from wrong and not just give in to the diagnosis, expecting everyone else to do the same. That is not realistic, especially if you are going to mainstream your child with other children.
Ok, lets say the concept of arresting a child for a minor crime is somehow acceptable. How many 10 yo kids being arrested today will understand that it is for something they did a year ago? How is it you think they make that association when they probably don't remember what they had for lunch three days ago.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Ok, lets say the concept of arresting a child for a minor crime is somehow acceptable. How many 10 yo kids being arrested today will understand that it is for something they did a year ago? How is it you think they make that association when they probably don't remember what they had for lunch three days ago.
That's why I mentioned that it was wrong for them not to have done it right after it happened.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM

11,776 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Since we don't know the WHOLE story - none of us should jump to conclusions. Since he was homebound - it appears to me that after the incident the county / state / district whatever - felt he would be better served with being schooled at home - whether he was homeschooled or therapists and tutors came in.

The situation with the child I know of - he was first diagnosed as autistic because he didn't talk much - then again his sister is such a talker - he didn't need to as she spoke for him before he could utter a word - the county sent in therapists and speech teachers for 6 months before recommending a program in a school that deals directly with special needs children. During the time he spent at home with therapists - he was diagnosed as having Asperger's. He was in the special program for a year and then they felt he was well enough to attend regular school where he is performing and socializing without any problems. Was he just slow in learning to talk - maybe he didn't feel a need to as his sister did it for him. He was afraid of loud noises - guess what so am I. To this day I plug my ears during a thunderstorm - I hated going to parades because I hated when they turned the fire engine horns on, I hate balloons after one popped in my face.

We are all individuals with little quirks that either resolve themselves or we learn to deal with. I just believe that a lot of this is overblown. We have no idea what sort of behavior he exhibited when he returned to school that day - where they felt it was necessary to call the police. Leading him away in handcuffs was wrong - but we don't know the whole story and probably never will. I will call out any social injustice that I see - but I think a lot of people are looking for excuses to make an issue where there is none.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Yes it is my grandchild.

And aren't you the one who let her Autistic child (at age 8?) wander around by himself downstairs at a huge Disney resort to get his own breakfast while the rest of you stayed upstairs in the room? And when you were with him, you allowed him to leave the table and sit down with other families (complete strangers) at their meals, that clearly did not want him there, yet you refused to go get him?

If not, I apologize.

But in any case, my grandson does not do well with loose rules. He has to be highly structured and reminded constantly. He goes to OT twice a week and the entire family is on the same page about his growth plan.
a) that child isn't Autistic.
b) he was 10
c) there wasn't any indication he wasn't wanted
d) it was right next to my room, not "downstairs"
e) it was a concierge room, not some giant eating place
f) my kid is quite charming
g) they were having snacks and it was a communal area, not meals

Yes, highly structured is how you help an autistic child. Empathy and structure. And an unconditional positive regard. Not hand cuffs and a trip to jail at age 10. That is not an acceptable "punishment" for an autistic TEN YEAR OLD

Old 04-20-2017, 03:09 PM

11,776 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
That's why I mentioned that it was wrong for them not to have done it right after it happened.
Obviously they felt at the time it wasn't warranted - but it put the parents on alert that this was not acceptable and they better find someone to treat him and help him with the problem or condition. Again - we have no idea what happened at school the day they arrested him. If they wanted to enforce the warrant - they should have asked the mother to drive him down to the police station - but again we don't know if that wasn't suggested and she refused.

People are too quick to judge before knowing all the facts here.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
There is still the diagnosis of Asperger's as a friend's child was diagnosed with it last year and we're hardly out in the boondocks but live in a major medical city.

For those with children afflicted by these medical problems - our hearts do go out to you as we all would do anything for our children - but I've seen way too many parents use this as an excuse - jump on Facebook with their latest whoa is me stories.

There is more to this story that we may never know.

And you can keep preaching about him being a kid - but there have been several cases of kids - killing other kids, their parents ect.. As a matter of fact there was just one on here about a baby killed by an 8 yr old.

As someone said - back in my day - they were called retarded. Of all the kids I knew in the special classes - there is only one girl that I can say was not retarded but slow and yes may have had autism.
Whoever diagnosed Asperger's last year was not using the DSM-5, but the DSM-4. Asperger's is currently under the ASD diagnosis. The DSM-5 text states “ Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnoses of autistic disorder, Asperger's disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder”.

https://www.autism-watch.org/general/dsm.shtml

Quote:
Diagnostic Criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorder

Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
a) that child isn't Autistic.
b) he was 10
c) there wasn't any indication he wasn't wanted
d) it was right next to my room, not "downstairs"
e) it was a concierge room, not some giant eating place
f) my kid is quite charming
g) they were having snacks and it was a communal area, not meals

Yes, highly structured is how you help an autistic child. Empathy and structure. And an unconditional positive regard. Not hand cuffs and a trip to jail at age 10. That is not an acceptable "punishment" for an autistic TEN YEAR OLD

f)..........seems every parent of out of control kids say that

Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So a child cannot assult another child if they are both in a special school? In the article it said that he was allowed back into thecschool from home schooling because they thought he would be able to fit in but he was arrested and handcuffed. He was arrested for something he did a year ago so why not , as his mother asked, and picked him up at home with his parents? Are the police even allowed to question him without a parent present. He is a ten year old not a middle aged adult and was currently not a danger to anyone he was with. How many children get arrested in school in front of their classmates for what they had done the previous year. Poor policing in this case.
How many children physically assault other people in front of other people?

No excuses. He's not going to prison. He was handcuffed, per protocol, and arrested for what he did: he kicked someone HARD. Autism has nothing to do with it, unless you're making the argument that all kids with autism are uncontrollably violent. They are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events