Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But you cant take a autistic kid and teach them the way you would a neurotypical child. I hope to god you know that or I feel heart broken for any autistic child in your care. There are methods that teach autistic children.

An autistic child looses control, not because they are a brat or being naughty. Its a bottom brain problem that you cant treat with a top down method.

I cant even talk with how upsetting people's replies are.
I agree!!!!!!! A meltdown is not the same as a tantrum for example. You could see a child " throwing a fit" at the grocery, screaming and crying. ASSUME bad parenting and "offer" advice when really the child is freaking out over the lights being too bright or not touching all the pears they just walked by.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Loose idea? You mean scientifically proven?

I thought it was your grandchild?
Yes it is my grandchild.

And aren't you the one who let her Autistic child (at age 8?) wander around by himself downstairs at a huge Disney resort to get his own breakfast while the rest of you stayed upstairs in the room? And when you were with him, you allowed him to leave the table and sit down with other families (complete strangers) at their meals, that clearly did not want him there, yet you refused to go get him?

If not, I apologize.

But in any case, my grandson does not do well with loose rules. He has to be highly structured and reminded constantly. He goes to OT twice a week and the entire family is on the same page about his growth plan.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I agree!!!!!!! A meltdown is not the same as a tantrum for example. You could see a child " throwing a fit" at the grocery, screaming and crying. ASSUME bad parenting and "offer" advice when really the child is freaking out over the lights being too bright or not touching all the pears they just walked by.
There is a huge difference between having a meltdown and having a violent outburst that involves kicking or hitting another human being.

Luckily for our family, our grandson has only had the meltdowns, and they are easily headed off with a change of direction or new subject discussed.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:08 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There is a huge difference between having a meltdown and having a violent outburst that involves kicking or hitting another human being.

Luckily for our family, our grandson has only had the meltdowns, and they are easily headed off with a change of direction or new subject discussed.
A meltdown isnt usually violent.

Im glad your grandson is easily tamed. My 9yr old isnt. She isnt violent but " oh look at the butterfly" doesnt work for her.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
A meltdown isnt usually violent.

Im glad your grandson is easily tamed. My 9yr old isnt. She isnt violent but " oh look at the butterfly" doesnt work for her.
LOL. That doesn't always work for my grandson, it depends on what the meltdown is about.

Easter Sunday, we were at my in-laws' farm and about to go ride in the truck to go see the goats his uncle had in the pen. Pop was in the truck and his sister was in the truck, and he had finally just come outside where we were calling him to come ride.

He saw them already in the truck with the doors closed, and immediately went into a high-pitched crying, sobbing fit, jumping around screaming like he was on fire. His sister opened the door, and he dried up and got in the truck.

We never know what will set him off. Other than bugs. He hates bugs.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as Asperger's anymore...its all on the spectrum now.

Anyways...this kid is little, too little. People here don't know what they are talking about and I hope something in life teaches them empathy.

Someone suggesting their autistic grandson goes to jail...just not over night. Dear lord.
There is still the diagnosis of Asperger's as a friend's child was diagnosed with it last year and we're hardly out in the boondocks but live in a major medical city.

For those with children afflicted by these medical problems - our hearts do go out to you as we all would do anything for our children - but I've seen way too many parents use this as an excuse - jump on Facebook with their latest whoa is me stories.

There is more to this story that we may never know.

And you can keep preaching about him being a kid - but there have been several cases of kids - killing other kids, their parents ect.. As a matter of fact there was just one on here about a baby killed by an 8 yr old.

As someone said - back in my day - they were called retarded. Of all the kids I knew in the special classes - there is only one girl that I can say was not retarded but slow and yes may have had autism.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
This should have been handled in October instead of months later. A ten year old boy will be getting bigger and stronger pretty soon now, and he needs to learn that attacking others will not be tolerated.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I blame the school they know this CHILD IS SPECIAL NEEDS - sue them and the teacher - Okeechobee is a very small rural area--mostly old vets and retirees- dumb move --

Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
This should have been handled in October instead of months later. A ten year old boy will be getting bigger and stronger pretty soon now, and he needs to learn that attacking others will not be tolerated.
Think the kid has more sense than some in here

Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
This is the same state where police shot a caretaker with their hands up who was next to his patient with severe autism. I think more education about autism is needed around the board from law enforcement to teachers to prevent incidents like that one or this one. To anyone suggesting this is even remotely appropriate action for this situation, this boy is not playing with the same deck other 10 year olds are. Which is why training is needed to properly deal with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events