Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Mom Films Cops Arresting 10-Year-Old Son With Autism At School | The Huffington Post

I guess there really was no sane alternative. The kid has to be taught a stupid lesson.
I have to agree, and I have an Autistic grandson. Time-outs do not work with him.

But not overnight.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's rural Florida -- probably in an area where autism and its "cousin" -- Asperger's (which seem to be more concentrated in better-educated communities) are neither ac common nor as readily understood as in more upscale areas.

The crew at HuffPost have more to gain by fanning the flames than by calming troubled waters.
There is no such thing as Asperger's anymore...its all on the spectrum now.

Anyways...this kid is little, too little. People here don't know what they are talking about and I hope something in life teaches them empathy.

Someone suggesting their autistic grandson goes to jail...just not over night. Dear lord.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 04-20-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
call me "sick" , but if a kid gets violent and his mother plays the " autism card, he does not belong in a public school with other kids.
He wasn't in school. He only came in for a state test. He had already been kicked out of this school back in October.
The violence was apparently with a school board *authority.* Then it says later it was a para who was hurt.

10-year-old autistic boy handcuffed at school, spends night behind bars. Here’s why. – TheBlaze

Quote:
With that, John Haygood was taken to juvenile detention where he spent the night behind bars and had only one meal in 12 hours, WPEC-TV reported. On Thursday morning, he appeared in a jail jumpsuit before a judge, WFOR-TV reported. He was then released under house arrest, WPEC said.
Note also that they knew where to send the *invitation* for him to come in, so why didn't the police know where he was so they could serve their warrant and why didn't they know he was autistic - the school obviously knew. Why didn't the mother know there was an arrest warrant for her child? There is something fishy about this whole story, but it is FLORIDA. Florida has a reputation for being terrible for special needs children in general.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,728 times
Default But of Course,

A lesson hard learned early in life will, may save him a lot of grief much later on to learn that the law is nothing to be trifled with. It is a lesson best learned when young when no harm will come out of it.
Quote:
Mom Films Cops Arresting 10-Year-Old Son With Autism At School | The Huffington Post

I guess there really was no sane alternative. The kid has to be taught a stupid lesson.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A lesson hard learned early in life will, may save him a lot of grief much later on to learn that the law is nothing to be trifled with. It is a lesson best learned when young when no harm will come out of it.
Don't you there there was any reasonable alternative available? This county is getting itself into a straight jacket of laws and judicial procedures and processes that make no sense. It would have been far more logical and productive to have the CHILD seen by a social psychologist who could evaluate the boy and give his parents guidance.

There is absolutely NOTHING a jail cell can do for a child (or any person) who cannot comprehend why he is even there.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Don't you there there was any reasonable alternative available? This county is getting itself into a straight jacket of laws and judicial procedures and processes that make no sense. It would have been far more logical and productive to have the CHILD seen by a social psychologist who could evaluate the boy and give his parents guidance.

There is absolutely NOTHING a jail cell can do for a child (or any person) who cannot comprehend why he is even there.
Autistic kids are not stupid. They know when they are doing something wrong, and if as a parent, you've been giving appropriate punishment instead of just sighing and blaming the disease, they know what the punishment is for.

At the time it was happening, he might not have understood why, but that's because his mother didn't answer the warrant.

As caretakers of Autistic kids, it is up to us to teach them right from wrong and not just give in to the diagnosis, expecting everyone else to do the same. That is not realistic, especially if you are going to mainstream your child with other children.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The law should not even have been involved in this. It should have been a school matter. A paraprofessional (male from the pronouns used) should have been trained in dealing with autistic outbursts. He should never have filed charges for what were probably minor injuries. Also, the boy did not want to go back to school because the parapro *hurt* him - certainly, this bears investigation.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Autistic kids are not stupid. They know when they are doing something wrong, and if as a parent, you've been giving appropriate punishment instead of just sighing and blaming the disease, they know what the punishment is for.

At the time it was happening, he might not have understood why, but that's because his mother didn't answer the warrant.

As caretakers of Autistic kids, it is up to us to teach them right from wrong and not just give in to the diagnosis, expecting everyone else to do the same. That is not realistic, especially if you are going to mainstream your child with other children.
But you cant take a autistic kid and teach them the way you would a neurotypical child. I hope to god you know that or I feel heart broken for any autistic child in your care. There are methods that teach autistic children.

An autistic child looses control, not because they are a brat or being naughty. Its a bottom brain problem that you cant treat with a top down method.

I cant even talk with how upsetting people's replies are.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But you cant take a autistic kid and teach them the way you would a neurotypical child. I hope to god you know that or I feel heart broken for any autistic child in your care. There are methods that teach autistic children.

An autistic child looses control, not because they are a brat or being naughty. Its a bottom brain problem that you cant treat with a top down method.

I cant even talk with how upsetting people's replies are.
You have a much more loose idea of parenting your Autistic child than I do, and if that works for you and your child, that's fine.

But it won't work with mine.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You have a much more loose idea of parenting your Autistic child than I do, and if that works for you and your child, that's fine.

But it won't work with mine.
Loose idea? You mean scientifically proven?

I thought it was your grandchild?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events