Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:21 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

It's no longer considered rude, Ultra. It's being proactive about our own privacy. Bad enough that our personal information is sold by places we do business with. We do our best to protect it and they just turn it over for a price. I'm sure the same thing is happening with our phone numbers. To make it worse, these huge companies who are supposed to have state of the art cyber security software aren't winning, either.

Just received my letter today from Equifax about their security breech. It steams me that I do what I can to protect my accounts but I, along with 143 million other citizens, sit and wonder who has my information and what will they do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You are just lucky!

I signed up for the do-not-call and also renewed it.
I also have an unlisted/unpublished number.

I average a call a day. I simply hang up, eventually they may quit calling. Maybe that's wishful thinking.
Same with us only we get about 8 to 10 a day. Every time you buy something or sing up for something, they sell that info to these clowns.

One we recognize as coming from Laughlin, NV - never answer that one now.

I'm getting them on my cell now and I hardly use it.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We are on the "no call list" and report EVERY call that violates that. We now report to both of these agencies: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...aintcheck.aspx and I read that filing a complaint at this website was more effective: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...exts-and-faxes

If I don't recognize a number, I don't answer. I then google for it, and if I find other complaints, I file a complaint against the number as a "dropped call" which is one of the choices.

It really does make a difference. The 2nd website has some suggestions on how to reduce the number of calls.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I used to get one a week at the very most - now it is several a day. Always accented heavily. Trying to get me say my name. i hang up and look the number up - there are always complaints about scammers from the number. I just think it's odd that there has been a big jump in the number I receive.

The data breech from Equifax?
Mine aren't accented. Regular folk.
But yes. I have had to install a call-blocker.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I get a lot of calls for winning vacations, I just say not interested and hang up.

I guess these scams do work on quite a few people, but it seems strange many people would fall for this kind of thing today. I remember hearing a theory that many of these victims were probably very lonely and even though they were being scammed, it was someone calling them, someone to talk to.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Here is something I have noticed:

If you pick up a number you don't recognize and it's one of those scammy people, you will suddenly get a spike in calls from that and similar spoofed number.

It's best just not to answer any numbers that you don't know.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:42 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Sad but true...

My Boss was on vacation and in Florida... I knew she was going on a Caribbean Cruise.

The phone kept ringing and I ignored it... actually cancelled the call... let's say it did not go over well.

Her phone purse was stolen with her phone inside so it was a different number she was calling from and my number is the company issued phone...

Maybe livid would be a good description.

As for scamming being profitable... it has to be or it wouldn't be as persuasive as it is.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:09 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I used to get one a week at the very most - now it is several a day. Always accented heavily. Trying to get me say my name. i hang up and look the number up - there are always complaints about scammers from the number. I just think it's odd that there has been a big jump in the number I receive.

The data breech from Equifax?
The do not call registrations expire. I recently re-registered and all the cold calls disappeared.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here is something I have noticed:

If you pick up a number you don't recognize and it's one of those scammy people, you will suddenly get a spike in calls from that and similar spoofed number.

It's best just not to answer any numbers that you don't know.
When you answer a number you don't know you have confirmed to them that it's a "good number" and they proceed to sell that list of "good numbers" to other people.

Don't answer calls you don't know. If it's a legit call they will leave a voicemail.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
My Dad had his number spoofed yesterday and it was apparently calling people all over the country. He got about 40-50 messages from pissed off people which quickly filled his voice mail. I'm surprised at the number of people that will return (and leave a message for) a number that they don't recognize....

His carrier told him to just turn off his phone for 2-3 days and by then, the spoofing usually stops. Thanks guys, big help there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events