Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times

Advertisements

Hoc est valde ridiculam fabulam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL... There's all kinds of stupid within this story. First, with the Publix employee for not checking to see why the computer software was censoring the word.
Second, for the parent for not correcting them.
Third, what kind of phony BS is this? Summa *** Laude is a college thing. This kid is graduating HS. Since when does one graduate High School Summa *** Laude? Add to that the fact that he's home schooled...?

Very legitimate. We had people graduate Magna and Summa *** Laude in high school. T'weren't ME, but we had them.

The parent actually tried to correct the cake..

Quote:
In the special instructions, Koscinski explained that the system was mistaking part of the phrase for something inappropriate, but that her son was graduating with highest honors.
So, this technically.. There's several things wrong here, and they DO all go back to Publix..

either the person decorating the cake took the instructions WAY too literally, or didn't read the 'comments'.. Or had no idea what Summa *** Laude meant. Now.. That last part.. Cake decorators are generally, in my experience.. Moms.. So, I think that last thought is not likely. There's things a mom might not catch, but I think they'd get that one.

The fact this is hitting news outlets rather than exploding on social media THEN hitting news.. Indicates to me that the mom is gunning for something more than what she got. Maybe I'm wrong about that.. But either way, she was treated more than fairly by getting a gift card and a refund of the cake. The refund was deserved, the gift card was.. Icing. (Ah.. See what I did there?)

Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Very legitimate. We had people graduate Magna and Summa *** Laude in high school. T'weren't ME, but we had them.

The parent actually tried to correct the cake..

So, this technically.. There's several things wrong here, and they DO all go back to Publix..

either the person decorating the cake took the instructions WAY too literally, or didn't read the 'comments'.. Or had no idea what Summa *** Laude meant. Now.. That last part.. Cake decorators are generally, in my experience.. Moms.. So, I think that last thought is not likely. There's things a mom might not catch, but I think they'd get that one.

The fact this is hitting news outlets rather than exploding on social media THEN hitting news.. Indicates to me that the mom is gunning for something more than what she got. Maybe I'm wrong about that.. But either way, she was treated more than fairly by getting a gift card and a refund of the cake. The refund was deserved, the gift card was.. Icing. (Ah.. See what I did there?)
WHAT?? A MOM??? WHAT THE HECK??? Seriously, do we need to call 911 to rescue you from the pills you took or the odorless gas seeping into your home?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Publix is not perfect by any means, but they've got a strong company culture of good customer service, and give their employees a good amount of latitude to fix mistakes that do happen. As someone who has benefited from many a Publix complaint resolution process, I'm inclined to be on their side rather than hers.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Summa *** Laude from Christian Home School?

First in his class (and last).

Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I feel the same way. OMG I'd be laughing...and showing everybody...and yeah...I think even Grandma's going to be able to figure this one out...nobody got hurt, just hilarious.

I almost wonder if it isn't just some sort of prank. I admit I haven't read the article.
I've been giggling over this all day. First, that the home schooled high school kid graduated (not going to type out the Latin out because apparently it's a problem). This is NOT a knock on home schooling. Second, what the bakers at Publix were thinking? It's hilarious!

Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
CD sensors the word too! Can we sue?
The word is *** so there is nothing wrong with that.

I keep entering the "***" from Summa *** Laude and it keeps replacing the word with ***.

Why are you censoring what I am writing?

When I graduated from college with a B.S. degree, I earned the Magna *** Laude distinction, which is not as high as Summa *** Laude but still high nonetheless.

Censoring text is ridiculous. We should be able to write whatever we want.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:16 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
I read the article - the customer did go out of her way in the special instructions to say that her son was graduating with "highest honors." Yet, it doesn't mean that the cake decorator knew what to do with those instructions. It also doesn't mean the decorator read the instructions. An online order is likely printed out with details of the order (cake size, style, color, text). The text probably red Summa --- Laude or maybe Summa *** Laude. These employees may have been instructed to decorate the cake exactly as it is on the form.

What if the decorator had 20 cakes to do? Maybe he/she couldn't get their manager over to make the judgment call. Maybe they don't want to lose their job over something like this.

This sounds to me more like an algorithm reading out of context (just a straight keyword search) and an employee just putting his or her head down and getting their work done.

The red flag for me was when the customer says she had to enter special instructions. At that point - you call the store or order in person. Is the customer at fault - not really, but she should have recognized that this might be problematic.

I've ordered cakes before - and if I have special instructions that aren't crystal clear, I usually make the special instruction: "Please call me at 123-456-7890" In that way, this can't happen.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
LOL... There's all kinds of stupid within this story. First, with the Publix employee for not checking to see why the computer software was censoring the word.
Second, for the parent for not correcting them.
Third, what kind of phony BS is this? Summa *** Laude is a college thing. This kid is graduating HS. Since when does one graduate High School Summa *** Laude? Add to that the fact that he's home schooled...?
Yup, in high school we had valedictorian, salutatorian, and everyone else. We did have a senior awards night for senior students who had excelled in certain subjects or whatever either in all four years or for some of the four years, or who had won scholarships for academics, volunteering, etc. But my high school didn't even rank students after 1 and 2. None of this college Latin honors crap, come on. And I went to a very good public high school in a state that's always top 5 in education...

Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,155 times
It was a mistake, but they did the right thing and made it right with her. They are doing tons of cakes right now, so mistakes will happen.
I probably would have got some blue icing and just put it on there myself.

Personally, I would think it was funny lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events