Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:02 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

We went from defending a woman who totally botched the way to handle a dispute with an iresponsible pet owner to defending the killing of innocent dogs who do not know their behavior is wrong.

Let’s hear it for the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So you haven't seen the little dogs in the grocery carts up in the area where kids sit? I have. Don't approve of it, either.
Yes, and they aren't supposed to be. Publix has started cracking down on this. Dogs which are allowed by law must be on the floor and leashed.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is it not necessary? A person stating "this is a service dog" is exactly the excuse they give to bring there dog in, because the store cannot stop them from doing it, not without exposing themselves to an ADA suit.

Have you not read all the issues airlines are having with this? And regarding Publix;

https://www.local10.com/pets/publix-...g-service-pets

""Customers may bring service animals with them into the store while shopping," said Beth Goldberg, a spokeswoman for Safeway. "Customers are not required to show proof or certification that their animal is a service animal, and our store directors make every effort to respect the privacy and dignity of our customers."

Service animals have become a controversial issue as several states have tried to crack down on people potentially abusing federal disability laws. Growing complaints have also emerged as more people have tried to sneak pets onto airlines under the guise of service dogs."
Yes, but they also state no dogs in service carts. I respect service dogs but I get extremely annoyed at these people who claim their dogs are emotional support dogs (they aren't service dogs) and expect they are allowed to bring them in (they aren't unless the business says they are). Service dogs are trained to do something for the individual. It can be a disability that is obvious or it can be PSTD, but, unlike claiming a dog for emotional support PSTD dogs are trained just the same as any other service dog.

Those who abuse the rules make it extremely difficult for those who truly need the dog. I have read and heard about service dogs who were emotionally damaged by a non service dog in a place they shouldn't be by being attacked.

Many in the training industry are leaning towards having a card or tag issued to verify that it is indeed a service dog but there are those who self train due to costs and they aren't on board yet.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So you haven't seen the little dogs in the grocery carts up in the area where kids sit? I have. Don't approve of it, either.
I've seen that several times, twice in the same super market, and once in one of the local Walmarts.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Stores allow those support dogs, and they are not allowed to ask about it has it would violate the absurd ADA laws. So everyone has a claim that it is their support animal.

Publix in Florida though has cracked down on it, they stopped allowing them in baskets.

But yea, you need to get out more, I often see dogs in the grocery store, and I do not mean seeing eye dogs, they are those small little things that yap all the time.
ADA mandates that they CAN ask if the dog is a service dog and what tasks it has been trained to do. "Being an ESA" is not a service dog task.

Also, every dog I have seen in grocery stores has been riding in the shopping cart. Service dogs must perform their duties with all 4 feet on the floor. If it is an alert dog that must be close to the person, they must ride in something like one of those baby chest packs, but they cannot be in or on any carts or seats that the general public would be using or sitting on.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I do not know if you are being obtuse or not, but stores must allow service animals, that is federal law. All a store can ask if someone brings their dog in is "is that a service dog" and if the person says yes, that is it, nothing more can be done about it. A person does not have to disclose their disability, show papers, nothing. It is abused quite often, businesses have their hands tied because if they challenge it, they open themselves up to an ADA lawsuit.
They can also ask what tasks the dog has been trained to do. That is the difference between a service dog and an ESA - it's all in the training to do specific tasks, and in the ability to be completely obtuse to the environmental stimuli that catches the average dog's attention.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Talk about a crappy neighbor.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 AM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
My question is why do so many dog owners not pick up their dogs poop? I have seen complaints about this phenomenon from the rich and poor and everyone in between. No matter where they live. There is a large sub set of people who want to own the dog but not be responsible for it. That is like having a baby and letting it crap everywhere. I don't understand how these folks are so lacking in dignity or why there are so many of them. My complex is doing DNA testing because of the problem. We can't seem to get these people to pick up their poop. I am not sure why they would want to leave it there just to stink up the neighborhood. They have no pride or shame.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:09 AM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Yes, and they aren't supposed to be. Publix has started cracking down on this. Dogs which are allowed by law must be on the floor and leashed.
I saw one in a carrier once in a woman's cart in the child seat space. I don't have a problem with that at all. They can't get into trouble in a carrier.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
My question is why do so many dog owners not pick up their dogs poop? I have seen complaints about this phenomenon from the rich and poor and everyone in between. No matter where they live. There is a large sub set of people who want to own the dog but not be responsible for it. That is like having a baby and letting it crap everywhere. I don't understand how these folks are so lacking in dignity or why there are so many of them. My complex is doing DNA testing because of the problem. We can't seem to get these people to pick up their poop. I am not sure why they would want to leave it there just to stink up the neighborhood. They have no pride or shame.
Again you want to focus on the crappy pet owner's behavior and give a pass to the complete overreaction of his neighbor who handled the situation very very poorly. This is just so strange to me. Every time you see poor behavior do you react in a similar manner to spreading dog poop on a door nob?

Yeah I didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events