Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

Dog poo is a big problem in our condo complex. Usually it's the fools who have the very large breed dogs. These dogs produce some excrement that's as big as horse sh*t and you would need to have a shovel to pick it up. Even the poo bags are too small to put it in.

I don't know if it's true or not but I read somewhere that the in certain condos and apartment complexes in the Los Angeles area management requires dog owners to submit doggy stool samples for DNA testing and if they find a poo pile not properly disposed of they can run a match and fine you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:51 PM

255 posts, read 168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
That isn't always possible when a dog has to go he has to go. This is easier with a trained service dog as they are trained to go on command but not every dog is trained to go on command and sometime it happens. I always kept bags to pick it up, either it was a plastic bag from the grocery store or specially made bags for that purpose. If by chance I forgot the bag I brought him to a wooded area that wasn't someone's property as my neighborhood had a couple of these places where it was an area where the power company had their equipment (and no, he didn't go where a worker could step in it). I never minded if owners dogs pooped in my yard so long as the owner picked it up.
That is ridiculous! There is no excuse for your dog to relieve itself on someone else's property! NONE. Your dog should be on a leash or under your complete control. Do not ALLOW your dog on someone else's property - that is all there is to it. It is always possible to not allow your dog to walk on someone else yard. If the dog has to go, he goes where it's appropriate, or you curb your dog and clean up. I never understood the "forgot" the bag. You take your dog out specifically to use the bathroom. Even if you don't, anyone that has had a dog for more than 5 minutes knows they generally always go poop once they get outside and moving. Grabbing bags should but a part of the ritual just like grabbing a leash, or better yet, have the bags ON the leash.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:41 PM

23,256 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You feel better now? Suggest counseling for all that. Don't forget that loose pet cats owned by irresponsible owners in the USA devour about 3 million songbirds each year. More cat owners think nothing of letting their pets roam freely than dog owners do. Many honestly believe cats simply cannot be confined to a home.

My closest neighbor and I both have dogs that visit each other's yards each morning. Neither dog ventures farther away than that but even if they did we wouldn't permit it anyway. Their dog anoints my grass, my dog anoints theirs. We consider it a draw, not an issue, though technically I win; my dog is about 20 lbs smaller.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-21-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 02:27 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Oh my.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
I would question those that bring dogs into grocery stores, if they have considered that dogs have an elevated sense of smell and what the dogs might be going through with all the different scents they are experiencing. It must be difficult for them to not be able to investigate what they smell, like any dog would do when on their own.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:59 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I never knew whose dogs they were, but many years ago when I lived in the city there were a couple dogs that would be running loose, using my yard to poop in. They were malamutes, fortunately friendly. Once I realized this was a daily occurrence (about 5 in the morning), I invited the dogs into my car and took them to the humane society. At that time they had cages outside the building where animals could be dropped off. The dogs had licenses so I figured they would be reunited easily enough. Whatever happened, they weren't roaming the neighborhood again.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:25 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVECATS View Post
This is to Calguy,

I in May 2014 I wrote you a message about my bad experiences with being chased and barked at by dogs off of leashes and other bad experiences with dogs.

Here is more recent bad experiences and problems,that I really need your helpful advice about.

Here are posts I recently made on an excellent informative guy's youtube channel, I Hate Dogs,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLn...Udyp_6Q/videos

Here are two of his many great videos,these two are really excellent,

Blame The Owner Not The Dog,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeUrMHe298&t=742s

Dog Harassment Of Humans,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aO8XdfWyY&t=28s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aO8XdfWyY

Cats are actually much better than dogs!The statistics of dogs biting and even fatally attacking people are pretty high,so there is very good rational reasons to be afraid of dogs! This is from the 1800's up to the present.

Fatal Dog Attacks In The United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...#cite_note-155

https://www.cdc.gov/features/dog-bit...ion/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00047723.htm

An Off Leash Dog Ruined My Life:A Service Dog's Story

https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012...ff-leash-dogs/

Wrong Guy To Ask Some People Are Afraid Of Dogs

Wrong guy to ask.: Some People are Afraid of Dogs.

I had posted on this site in May 2014 and what Rosie said was so terrible after everything that Rachel,I and many others explained about the horrible bad experiences with dogs chasing and or biting them,and if Rosie gets bitten by a dog off of a leash or someone she loves does,she would feel totally differently and it's illegal for dogs to off of leashes in most states.

A police officer once told me that even if the dog is on the owner's property it has to be behind a fence. Since I posted my posts in May 2014,I met a social worker who has a dog herself,but told me that when she was 11 she was bitten by a big dog on a sidewalk as she rode her bike past it.

And I just met a cashier in a Dollar General who told me that she's terrified of dogs too because she was bitten by a customer's Chiwawa that the customer was holding in their hands and they shouldn't let any dogs into stores!

Just recently I was walking past a house 6:30 pm when I saw a medium to somewhat big dog that looked like a pitbull but I don't know what type of dog it was,off of a leash on the owner's lawn which included a few kids. I was petrified immediately that it was going to come over to me,and it did,it ran over towards me like it was charging me.

I had to run out in a busy highway and almost got hit by cars, I looked at where I was in the street and I knew that I couldn't go out in it any further because I'd be hit and killed by the cars,but I was so petrified of this dog running towards me off of a leash,the owner ran over and said to the dog to stop it and pulled it in the house.

I recently have gotten high blood pressure and this only made it worse! and I have to be on medication for it now. 58 Year Old Woman Was Mauled To Death In Her Home by Her Mastiff Mixed Dog!

Susan Sweeney (58) was mauled to death by her dog - MyDeathSpace.com

Just 2005 alone many Dog Bite fatalities not just pitbulls family dogs also killed babies,children & elderly people including a 6 year old little girl Sydney Akin who had visited the friends Rottweiler on several occasions with no problems,but one day in October 2005 she was there again with her mother and the dog came over and smelled her and then attacked and bit the poor little girl to death!

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...ities-2005.php

In 2005, six fatalities involved dogs from two or more different breeds, thus producing a death count total of 36, rather than 29. Four dog breeds each contributed to two deaths: American bulldog, husky, malamute and mixed-breed.

And I love beautiful,sweet meowing cats and I hate dogs and their terrible noisy barking and I have been chased by many small dogs off of leashes barking at me and it's a 50$ fine for owners not have their dogs on a leash!

Another time a small dog was repeatedly barking at me and she was on a leash but was pulling on her owners leash trying to come over to me,and I was standing in a driveway to get away from her the whole time,and she continued to bark and pull on the leash even after her owner walked away going down the street.

I was bitten by my cousin's little Terrier Heidi when I was 5, and when I was 16 I was over my other cousin's house and the small dog they had found was growling at me from across the room and my cousin had to yell at her to stop it and said it was like she was ready to bite me. It's the da*m dogs that are so scary not cats!

And I have had several strangers cats who were very friendly,they came up to me and rubbed themselves between my lower legs the first cat was female and 7 years later the other cat was male and I petted him on his head.

My former neighbors out door cat was a sweet friendly orange and white tabby that I used to let in when my neighbor let him out in cold drizzly weather. The Center For Disease Control reports that at least 4.5 to 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year,and 20-30 of these result in death.

In 2009 I met a UPS driver walking his mother's small dog,and I kept my distance and it thankfully didn't bark,when I told him I'm really afraid of dogs and that a lot are nasty,he said most dogs can be,and he told me he was attacked in the street as soon as he got out of his truck to deliver a package,the big vicious dog should have been kept in a locked room,he sued the owner and he won.

And my father also had a German Shepherd on the loose chase him in the 1950's while he was walking home from law school, and it jumped up on him while barking and he chased and scared it away and was lucky it went away and didn't bite him.

In 2010 a guy was walking his medium sized dog without a leash and it wasn't barking but it jumped up on me,and the owner said are you afraid of dogs? I said yes,and he had a nerve to act annoyed that I was still upset after he physically got his dog. Then in 2012 a small dog was off it's leash with it's owner in a distance and the dog was running all over the place and it jumped on my thighs also.

As I already said I have always been very afraid of dogs. They always are barking at me from even across the street or walking by and at other people including children.

In 2009 I was chased by a small dog barking at me for 10 minutes, until the owner finally came out of her apartment and called him in, and he should have been on a leash with his owner! I have also had two other dogs with no leash jump on my thighs and their owner was right there.

In June 2012 a medium sized dog without a leash came running up to me barking, and her owner only called her to come back from a distance, he didn't even run after her up to me down the street.

First she kept barking at me and didn't go back to her owner calling her, then she ran back to him but then she started running towards me again barking repeatedly! Her owner said sorry about that, but she wouldn't hurt you though.Yeah right, did his dog personally tell him she wasn't going to bite me? I was physically shaking for two hours after this.

My present apartment manager wasn't even empathetic to me about this scary incident and she's not a nice person to deal with.She even has bad reviews online from other tenants!

When I told her that dogs are supposed to be on a leash in public she totally incorrectly said yeah in public parks. Then about a year later they put a notice under everyone's doors here about having to keep your dogs on a leash or they will be fined and the dog will be removed from the complex but she's never sent out any other notices like this since.

And a few years ago a guy who lives in my apartments was walking with his medium to somewhat big dog off of the leash with the leash in his hand, I had to stand and wait about 15 minutes in the cold snow with packages in my hands to make sure he walked far enough away but it was in the direction of my apartment.I saw this guy doing this again about a year later.

So I asked the assistant manager did something happen with someone with a dog that complained and she said no it's just that dogs should be on a leash.

After the first incident in 2009 (before the present manager was here) with the small terrier chasing me and barking with his owner inside for about 10-15 minutes, I checked with my local police department and asked them isn't it against the law to have dogs in public streets and places running around with no leash,and they said yes, there is a 50$ fine it really should be a 100$ as it is in Los Angeles and told me to go to the .gov site about it. The Center For Disease Control reports that dogs killed 167 people over the age of 14 from 2001-2010!

And they say *any* type of dog is capable of biting and or attacking people and that even small dogs can do real damage and harm. In 2014 I was down the street and I saw a German Shepard with another dog running back and forth with no leash at my apartment complex.

I had to stand and wait for 15 minutes until I didn't see them anymore and then I had to go across into the parking lot and I was still really afraid that they were still out there and would have run over to me and possibly worse.

When I first moved into my apartment,they didn't allow dogs only cats,then 18 years later they put a notice under the door saying they were now going to allow small dogs,and then a few years later without any notices,people started moving in with large dogs like German Shepherds.a young guy is now living in my building with a German Shepherd and he's often outside the front door with it thankfully on a leash. And the guy recently said to me that I'm a pain in the ass for him too now,I said what? Because he sees me avoiding the dog and walking to the door on the other side of my building which I usually have gone into for years before he moved in because it's right near my apartment.

When I was 11 and a 1/2 I met my friend's German Shepherd for the first time who was in the back seat of their car barking ferociously and I was scared to death that was going to bite the heck out of me!

She always barked badly when any strangers came to their door,but she was hiding under their table at the sound of thunder! She came to know and like me(I honestly don't know how I even ever went to their house after this,but I used to sleep over their house a lot on weekends for like 4 years) and she became too friendly,she would wag her tail and lick my face which was better than the barking but really gross!

The other day I went down stairs at 20 of 4 pm inside my front apartment door to get the pharmacy delivery of my new blood pressure medicine and I saw through the door,the delivery guy looking at the dog and asked the guy how old is the dog,and the guy said he'll be a year and then I didn't hear what he said. I asked the delivery guy isn't he afraid of the German Shepherd and he just smiled a little but didn't say anything.

If you or anyone else have any helpful advice I really would appreciate it.

Thank You
Get mental health counselling.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVECATS View Post
You are the epitome of the irresponsible nasty dog owners who really are the one who needs counseling! After you get bitten by an off leash or even an on leash dog then come back and talk to me!
I think your reply to Parnassia was a bit extreme. Her post indicates that her dog and the dog of one of her neighbor's visit and mark each other's yard, and and that neither dog goes to anyone else's yards (besides that of their owners); and the two owners have mutually consented.

I was snapped at by a dog when I was a child.

I have been bitten, though not seriously, by more than one dog as an adult.

I have been bitten by a stray cat I was trying to help.

I have been knocked down by other dogs (usually in dog parks).

I have seen a dog of mine be attacked and bitten by another dog (in two cases, a neighbor's dog wandered over to our yard and attacked my family's dog; in another case, an off-leash dog attacked my dog in a large wooded area and fortunately the bite was not serious).

I still love dogs and always will. I like and admire cats.

A good friend of mine was bitten by a neighbor's dog when he was a boy. His parents, who were not dog lovers, viewed the incident as being their son's fault, since he had trespassed on the dog's owner's yard to take a shortcut from the bus stop to his home. (The bite was not very serious; the dog was a German Shepherd; if it had wanted to do serious damage to my friend, it was fully capable of doing so) My friend, who when I met him, was nervous of dogs, eventually became a dog owner himself and a very loving one.

I am sorry that you are carrying this fear and anger towards dogs with you. Most dogs are friendly or at least polite.

"She always barked badly when any strangers came to their door,but she was hiding under their table at the sound of thunder! She came to know and like me(I honestly don't know how I even ever went to their house after this,but I used to sleep over their house a lot on weekends for like 4 years) and she became too friendly,she would wag her tail and lick my face which was better than the barking but really gross!" I don't understand your horror toward the behavior of this dog. She barked at strangers; which is quite common for dogs (and not harmful unless they never stop and calm down) and hid under the table at the sound of thunder (some dogs are afraid of thunder; they don't know that it is just weather and will stop) - this is not vicious or aggressive dog behavior. And she came to know and like you when you used to sleep over at her owners' house frequently. She would wag her tail and lick your face; and you condemn her for being "too friendly"? If you didn't like being licked in the face by a dog, you could always move so she would lick your wrist or hand instead; and if you couldn't stand that much physical affection from a dog, you could have stopped going to the house. The dog's owners were not obligated to modify their dog's non-aggressive behavior for you unless you had/have allergies to dogs, which you have not mentioned. And you were also annoyed because the wagged her tail?

You've said that you are terrified by a small dog who growls at you (but does nothing else) in your cousin's house and other dogs who bark at you on the street or a small dogs who pulled at its leash trying to go toward you but was by its owner ("Another time a small dog was repeatedly barking at me and she was on a leash but was pulling on her owners leash trying to come over to me,and I was standing in a driveway to get away from her the whole time,and she continued to bark and pull on the leash even after her owner walked away going down the street."). To be honest, I think you are letting your fears control you instead of the other way around. I would advise you to seek professional counseling, unless you can move to an area where there are little to no dogs and never leave it, if only to try to decrease the stress that your fears may be causing you. Dogs are going to bark, some of them might even growl; and unless the dog physically harms you or you plan to call the authorities every time you see an off-leash dog, you will be spending a lot of your energy obsessing over misbehaving or noisy dogs.

I live in an apartment complex where dogs are allowed; but they are never allowed off-leash in the common areas; and their owners are fined if the dogs are observed and reported to be off-leash in common areas or are relieving themselves in the hallways or lobbies. (I escaped a fine the last time my dog did so because I cleaned it up so well that all odor and stain were gone, thankfully; and it certainly doesn't happen often; I believe in cleaning up after my dog and he hasn't had many accidents)

As for elderly people being "At Risk From Serious Injury and Death From Dog Attacks", I'm elderly and far more afraid of humans behind the wheels of cars than I am of dogs, barking or otherwise.

I hope you will be able to eventually calm your fears of dogs, at least to some extent.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
You have to actually want to conquer a fear - I'm not sure that poster is ready too.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Get mental health counselling.
you can't always expect us professionals to magically fix every problem that walks in through the door, we aren't miracle workers you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events