Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not know if you are being obtuse or not, but stores must allow service animals, that is federal law.
The one being obtuse is you. No where did I say anything about service animals. Service dogs are well trained and are not going around grocery store aisles peeing on merchandise.

I get that people love to bring up the whole "but, but fake service dogs!!!!" everytime a dog is mentioned, but it's really not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

It's very strange that people want to make personal attacks against me because... I go to grocery stores thst follow the rules? I don't get it...
That's not it. It's posts like this:

Quote:
But then, I get out into the real world... Not this fantasy land that so many others seem to live in.

that are causing what you perceive as "personal attacks." You're acting like your experience is the only one that reflects reality. I have news for you — it isn't. Just because you've never seen dogs in grocery stores doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Maybe you don't mean to come across that way, but that's how your stuff reads.

Quote:
I get that people love to bring up the whole "but, but fake service dogs!!!!" everytime a dog is mentioned, but it's really not necessary
Boxus was trying to explain to you why this has become such a problem in so many public places in recent years.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-05-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
lYou're acting like your experience is the only one that reflects reality. I have news for you — it isn't.
I completely understand that my experiences are not the same as everyone else. But then I'm not the one claiming someone needs to get out more because of these different experiences.

And I've already said I find it disturbing that people seem to be perfectly fine shopping at grocery stores that have no problem violating health code requirements so openly. If they're doing it publicly, what are they doing behind the scenes away from customers? I doubt dogs in the stores are the only thing they're being lax about.

And before it's said again... Yes, I get out. I go to various grocery store multpliple times a week... I've seen people turned away for trying to bring their pet (pet, not service animal) into a grocery store. It's just not something managers are turning a blind eye to at the grocery stores I frequent.

I love animals, I volunteer at the local animal shelter, and have worked at animal shelters in the past, but a grocery store is no places for a pet (again I said pet, not a trained service animal). I'm happy to see the grocery stores enforce the rules.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
I completely understand that my experiences are not the same as everyone else. But then I'm not the one claiming someone needs to get out more because of these different experiences.

And I've already said I find it disturbing that people seem to be perfectly fine shopping at grocery stores that have no problem violating health code requirements so openly. If they're doing it publicly, what are they doing behind the scenes away from customers? I doubt dogs in the stores are the only thing they're being lax about.

And before it's said again... Yes, I get out. I go to various grocery store multpliple times a week... I've seen people turned away for trying to bring their pet (pet, not service animal) into a grocery store. It's just not something managers are turning a blind eye to at the grocery stores I frequent.

I love animals, I volunteer at the local animal shelter, and have worked at animal shelters in the past, but a grocery store is no places for a pet (again I said pet, not a trained service animal). I'm happy to see the grocery stores enforce the rules.
You know, I don't think anyone here said they had "no problem" shopping at stores where this happens. It's just not a hill everyone wants to die on in a discussion on CD. It's not something I worry about much myself because I've only seen it a couple of times, and that's a little different than continuing to shop somewhere where it's commonplace.

People were telling you that you need to get out more because it sounded like you were claiming it doesn't happen.

ETA the few times I've seen dogs in my local store, they were wrapped up like little babies in blankets and being carried in baskets.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yep, both are guilty of terrible behavior.
The last place I lived a guy had three dogs running wild in the neighborhood, and he was totally FU to all complaints from his neighbors.

One morning he came out to find his three dogs hanging by their necks from a tree in his front yard. So, the woman in this thread is showing restraint.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The last place I lived a guy had three dogs running wild in the neighborhood, and he was totally FU to all complaints from his neighbors.

One morning he came out to find his three dogs hanging by their necks from a tree in his front yard. So, the woman in this thread is showing restraint.
So, I guess you could say",They were on a leash"

Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Years ago I had someone get mad at me for telling them to pick up the poop their dog left in my yard when they were walking their dog. They somehow thought it was their right to let their dog poop anywhere it wanted to. I told them I didn't want my kids stepping in it in my yard, but that didn't phase them at all.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
The one being obtuse is you. No where did I say anything about service animals. Service dogs are well trained and are not going around grocery store aisles peeing on merchandise.

I get that people love to bring up the whole "but, but fake service dogs!!!!" everytime a dog is mentioned, but it's really not necessary.
How is it not necessary? A person stating "this is a service dog" is exactly the excuse they give to bring there dog in, because the store cannot stop them from doing it, not without exposing themselves to an ADA suit.

Have you not read all the issues airlines are having with this? And regarding Publix;

https://www.local10.com/pets/publix-...g-service-pets

""Customers may bring service animals with them into the store while shopping," said Beth Goldberg, a spokeswoman for Safeway. "Customers are not required to show proof or certification that their animal is a service animal, and our store directors make every effort to respect the privacy and dignity of our customers."

Service animals have become a controversial issue as several states have tried to crack down on people potentially abusing federal disability laws. Growing complaints have also emerged as more people have tried to sneak pets onto airlines under the guise of service dogs."

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
back on track, this thread is fresh off the heels of a similar thread in the Rural forum.
my two cents are: your dog running loose and pooping in my yard, and you are aware of it? That dog gonna take a long friendly ride with me to an animal shelter in the next county. Naturally I will remove the dogs tags first. I have no remorse for fools who think it perfectly acceptable to allow their pet use my yard as a toilet.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I would be more concerned about the person who did that, than the idiot who let their dogs run loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events