Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Since most airline seats are in sets of three, those two heavyweights could have split the cost of the middle seat. The airline should have a "girth limit". No excuses. If you weigh "XX" number of pounds you either pay for two seats, share the cost of a middle seat with another heavyweight or stay the hell off the plane.

Somebody's disgusting habit of overeating beyond commonsense doesn't trump our right to the seat/space we've paid for.
The lady in the middle seat had a coat on. She could have taken it off to gove her some more room. The airlines are too greedy. I was on a united flight recently, seated in the window seat. The woman in the middle seat wasn't big but she had a coat on but the seats were just too tight. She kept encroaching upon my space but it really couldn't be helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure, but nobody can predict they will wind up sandwiched between two passengers who weigh well over 350 pounds or more.

Well then, they're foolish. Most of the population of the U.S. is overweight. The chances of getting seated between 2 fat people (or someone sick, or someone's baby, or whatever) is likely.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well then, they're foolish. Most of the population of the U.S. is overweight. The chances of getting seated between 2 fat people (or someone sick, or someone's baby, or whatever) is likely.
About 50% of the US population is overweight but not all of them are that large. I'm about 5 to 10 pounds overweight currently, but I can fit into my air plane seat just fine.

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They were kind of big but she was extremely rude.

Yes, but she was reacting to the extreme rudeness done to her. She never should have been placed in that seat and then left to her own devices on how to exit it for a whole seat. My guess is the airline staff expected her to be as muted and PC as many CD members expect us to be.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

The one who called her a ***** for complaining should have been walked off that plane too.

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
I don't know who is the bigger snowflake:

*The passenger in this article, or
*Everybody going "OMG, some airplane passenger couldn't handle who she was seated next to!"

One of these is a slightly larger nothingburger than the other. I just can't decide which it is.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Why should people like this who are 300+lbs be able to pay the same rate as a fit 160lb adult? people who weight 2x+ optimal for their height are going to cause the plane to use more fuel, but what would happen if a flight was filled with morbidly obese people like these just by chance, would the plane even be able to get off the ground?
I think this couple should have had to pay for 3 seats since they are so huge, who would want to be sandwiched between them? Morbid obesity is a choice, it's not a handicap. I've known people this big and they eat crap and lots of it.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
The woman in the middle was rude.

I, too, would have been annoyed to be sandwiched between two obese people. However, I would not have insulted them by complaining about them in a disparaging way right in front of them on my cellphone, or to others on the plane. She had an opportunity to move at the beginning of the video when an older male passenger in the row behind her offered her a seat by the window. She just ignored him. It seems like she just wanted to complain about the two people next to her.

I mean, really, how does insulting them change anything? All it does is make a bad situation worse.

If it were me, I would have accepted the seat that was offered in the row behind me, or asked a flight attendant to assign me somewhere else. My goal would have been to get away from the couple. I would not have passive aggressively insulted them about their size. That's just immature and stupid.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 AM

266 posts, read 259,441 times
Interesting that Rodgers was honored for her advocacy to declare gun violence as a national health issue. Apparently she is unaware obesity is a much bigger health issue.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
There was a case a couple years ago of a young woman who had to fly next to someone who was morbidly obese. The woman stood for most of the flight, saying there wasn't room for her in the seat, and when the plane was ready to land the attendants forced her to sit and buckle her seat belt.

She got a hip injury, and sued the airline. THERE WAS NOT ROOM FOR THIS THIN YOUNG WOMAN IN THAT SPACE THEY FORCED HER INTO.

Don't know how that worked out, but if I were on the jury I'd allow for actual damages, punitive damages, and mandate the airline come up with another policy than forcing people into seats that are largely taken up by someone else.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Why should people like this who are 300+lbs be able to pay the same rate as a fit 160lb adult? people who weight 2x+ optimal for their height are going to cause the plane to use more fuel, but what would happen if a flight was filled with morbidly obese people like these just by chance, would the plane even be able to get off the ground?
I think this couple should have had to pay for 3 seats since they are so huge, who would want to be sandwiched between them? Morbid obesity is a choice, it's not a handicap. I've known people this big and they eat crap and lots of it.
I agree 100% but the airlines are are stuck....they tried doing something like that but then the "fat rights" people, libtaards, PC idiots and other snowflakes all got into it (with the obvious media coverage) shouting "FAT SHAMING, FAT SHAMING!!!" as if those people didn't bring it upon themselves and are deserving of such criticism. But, that's the world (or mostly, country) we live in today....no one is ever accountable or responsible for their own plight...it's always someone else's fault (mostly white males if you go by what's being puked out in the media & society today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events