Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 09:09 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times

Advertisements

I agree the death rates for those over 60 are really high. It's too bad that more people don't understand that even 1% is a pretty high death rate.[/quote]

It’s 1% for over 65 actually, and most of those have comorbidities.
Still, that is quite high.

I wonder if vaccine trials are using people of all ages?
I know a healthy man in his 60s willing to literally die to help the cause.
And how about unhealthy and old volunteers, would they be necessary?
It’s said with flu vaccine that it may not work very well with people possessing
compromised immune systems, who of course are the ones needing it the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:29 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

As would I.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
I agree the death rates for those over 60 are really high. It's too bad that more people don't understand that even 1% is a pretty high death rate.

It’s 1% for over 65 actually, and most of those have comorbidities.
Still, that is quite high.

It’s said with flu vaccine that it may not work very well with people possessing
You may go to clinicaltrials.gov and search COVID-19 & vaccine to see if there is anything nearby the gentleman - and bless him for being willing!

Old 05-18-2020, 10:26 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,861,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
Earlier doctors were saying they don't know if the person who got infected with virus is immune to virus. i.e. they don't know if the antibodies formed will last longer.
So, my question is how sure are they about these antibodies lasting effect?
Nobody will know about the lasting effect until years from now. We have to track survivors of this first wave. No way to speed that up. So far, nobody out of the millions have been documented to be reinfected, although some have had lingering shedding or resurgence of their own infection that never cleared up. This isn't that surprising since its a novel virus.

Quote:
Why they are not developing / implementing test to detect the antibodies correctly and declare that this person was somehow infected and is now immune. This will be fast to implement and require less vaccine.
There are already very accurate antibody tests available. Your conclusion is nonsensical since the only thing that requires "less vaccine" is more infection.

Quote:
But i guess the idea here is to sell more vaccine.
Your misunderstanding of how this works is causing you to insert a conspiracy theory into this gap in knowledge. Nobody is hiding the truth about the virus, its pretty much happening the way you read about it in "the media". Sorry.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
can result from any vaccination, like arm redness a
So you are going to "hide in the herd" re: Covid vaccine for your kids. Good for you. My kids are grown, one has a child of her own and works in health care, so she's not working remotely during this pandemic, she's working onsite. She will probably vaccinate her daughter ASAP.

I agree the death rates for those over 60 are really high. It's too bad that more people don't understand that even 1% is a pretty high death rate.
Will she? Ask her and let us know.

I don't think children with no risk factors should be vaccinated until we have incontrovertible evidence that they face a serious risk from covid-19. I think the initial vaccine rollout should start with those most at risk and consider a cut-off point based on age and comorbidities.

The real hard question is going to be: "What will kill/injure fewer children?" The vaccine or Covid-19? Both numbers are PROBABLY going to be near zero. But, when the vaccine rolls out, we will absolutely know the fatality rate among children of Covid-19. We will just be guessing about the vaccine.

I didn't just pull the 1% out of a hat, that was based on the NYC death rate and serosurvey. It includes those who are healthy and those who are not, but is just a ballpark and probably skewed.

The number of reported child fatalities from the city was zero at the time I crunched the numbers, so I couldn't get a non-zero rate for children. Still, looking at the global child fatalities from Covid-19 and the serosurvey data of a 1% to 20% prevalence in the population, it's already clear that rate is incredibly low.

This Is a novel virus, and the approach to vaccination for it is also novel. That does not inspire me to give it to my children. Measels is deadly. Influenza can be deadly. Chicken pox can stay with you for life. Those vaccines were developed over years and years.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have not visited 23andMe much recently. I wanted it for genealogy purposes and it has been disappointing in that regard.
Upload to Gedmatch (free). They have a lot of interesting calculators.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Upload to Gedmatch (free). They have a lot of interesting calculators.
Did that! Mostly get the same common ancestors as on ACOM. Still cannot find any help with three specific brick walls. One is my direct paternal line. Brother did Y-DNA and got some matches, but we cannot find how they connect. Male cousin did Y-DNA for my maternal grandfather's line and we are not getting any surname matches for him. Beginning to think there is an NPE. There is an intriguing match ... with a Smith! Third is female, and that is going nowhere. A third cousin who is a hard core researcher has had no firm results for her, just suspicions.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
But we get a "new" vaccine for the flu every year ?

I know, it's for a different strain of the same disease, still it's technically new, correct ?
I was mainly talking about making vaccines from scratch for a disease that still have no vaccines.

Scientists have had 80 years of research experience working on flu vaccines (too made it keeps mutating so quickly!), that's why they were able to truly "fast track" the vaccine for the H1N1pdm09 virus during that pandemic back in 2009, in under a year.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:57 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
The candidate vaccine made by Moderna has just entered Phase 2 clinical trials - and they are including people over 50 in that trial, which is good news. (Don't know what degree of screening for other health conditions is being done.) https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...e-2-trial.html

On another front, the Lancet recently published another good overview of what is currently known about COVID-19 immune responses: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...985-5/fulltext

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The candidate vaccine made by Moderna has just entered Phase 2 clinical trials - and they are including people over 50 in that trial, which is good news. (Don't know what degree of screening for other health conditions is being done.) https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...e-2-trial.html

On another front, the Lancet recently published another good overview of what is currently known about COVID-19 immune responses: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...985-5/fulltext
Here you go:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...&draw=2&rank=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events