Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 08:56 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
A very good article discussing the possible explanations for COVID-19 Cases Are Rising, So Why Are Deaths Flatlining?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...e-down/613945/
Can’t rep you again, but thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 11:03 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Anyone notice Novavax got a 1.6 billion award to fund its phase 3 yesterday? Vaccine's must clear some hurdles and score some decent early results to get awards under this program. We won't even have published phase 1 results for another 3 or 4 weeks, but the govt must have liked what it saw in preliminary. I've only seen mice studies published on its vaxx but I haven't looked too hard. I admit not taking them seriously at first...
So many questions could be answered with a human challenge trial. Get recovered volunteers, with various levels of antibodies and T-cells, plus some unexposed volunteers as a control group, then get them infected with COVID, and see what happens. This experiment should’ve been completed 3 months ago, but it's still not too late.

Challenge trials that have a well done consent process are eminently ethical. Standing in the way of them is far more unethical. People do far more dangerous things with little social benefit. Why stop them from doing this?

Old 07-10-2020, 08:23 AM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
So many questions could be answered with a human challenge trial. Get recovered volunteers, with various levels of antibodies and T-cells, plus some unexposed volunteers as a control group, then get them infected with COVID, and see what happens. This experiment should’ve been completed 3 months ago, but it's still not too late.

Challenge trials that have a well done consent process are eminently ethical. Standing in the way of them is far more unethical. People do far more dangerous things with little social benefit. Why stop them from doing this?
First, who is stopping whom? Have you volunteered for a vaccine trial? Here is how : https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/

As far as human challenge trials go - here is an informed perspective - Human challenge trials with live coronavirus aren’t the answer to a Covid-19 vaccine
https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/23/...id-19-vaccine/

Old 07-10-2020, 09:36 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
First, who is stopping whom? Have you volunteered for a vaccine trial? Here is how : https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/

As far as human challenge trials go - here is an informed perspective - Human challenge trials with live coronavirus aren’t the answer to a Covid-19 vaccine

He has a point, but at the end of the day it's just an opinion. One of the inconvenient truths is that some notable medical knowledge has been gained from involuntary 'human challenges' i.e. experiments on prisoners. No-one will argue for that to be done, but if in place of prisoners you take volunteers then I don't think his arguments are entirely convincing.

Of course, volunteers could die - but then so could astronauts and some in fact did. If some people are willing to make that sacrifice for the rest of mankind then that's noble.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:46 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
He has a point, but at the end of the day it's just an opinion. One of the inconvenient truths is that some notable medical knowledge has been gained from involuntary 'human challenges' i.e. experiments on prisoners. No-one will argue for that to be done, but if in place of prisoners you take volunteers then I don't think his arguments are entirely convincing.

Of course, volunteers could die - but then so could astronauts and some in fact did. If some people are willing to make that sacrifice for the rest of mankind then that's noble.
There is enough virus circulating that deliberate exposure of people, volunteers or not, is not necessary.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:07 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
A very good article discussing the possible explanations for COVID-19 Cases Are Rising, So Why Are Deaths Flatlining

I think that's about to change.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Science Thread-daily-deaths-7_10-2-.jpg  

Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 AM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I share your thought, but hope we are both wrong. We can use a break!

We don't truly know how this is going to progress, though skyrocketing infections and overcapacity hospitals do not suggest smooth sailing. I wish it were not so politicized and masks were required across the board, but others are laying the bed for us all lie in.We have given up.

Last edited by kavm; 07-10-2020 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 12:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I’ve been reading that deaths follow behind diagnosed cases. So, I assume we will have increasing deaths. But survival vs death is not the entire story. There will be some survivors who will suffer permanent physical damage because of their bout with covid.

We have months to go with this, I am afraid.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:54 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Yes, I have volunteered, for two of them. Was rejected for both, with no explanation given.

Quote:
Regardless of how informed the author is, that is an opinion piece.

Last edited by JG183; 07-10-2020 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-10-2020, 01:25 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
I thought this article was interesting and I hope it receives national attention...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...7-a5153cb1a9cc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events