Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2020, 08:58 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So your theory of a more deadly covid dying out wouldn't apply now either. 1) you can feel fine and spread if for up to 14 days, 2) some feel fine the whole time and spread it, and 3) some people only feel a little sick and go out and spread it.
People are not traveling much now. I am required to quarantine if I go out of state. I am not seeing many out of state plates around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 09:07 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
More infectious coronavirus mutation may be 'a good thing', says disease expert
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN25E08Y
As expected viruses mutate to be less lethal because they kill themselves when they kill their hosts.
Viruses can't actually die because they were never alive in the first place.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
People are not traveling much now. I am required to quarantine if I go out of state. I am not seeing many out of state plates around.
I go into and out of states all the time, so do most in the US. Heck, I'm heading 3 states out in a month.

And you can't say we are an anomaly, every camp site is booked solid, while out driving it looks like caravans of RVs, 5th wheels and trailers, all different state licenses.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2020, 04:18 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well, die is pretty much a simplified way to communicate with the lay public. Viruses may or may not be capable of infecting a cell in order to replicate. If it cannot replicate, it is in a sense dead.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
Inactivated? Non-infective?

Old 08-22-2020, 02:27 PM

433 posts, read 532,257 times
As a layperson I find "The Coronavirus Science Thread" generally valuable. I did a search and was unable to find any references on this thread to Michael Mina, of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. He has been pushing for the move from highly sensitive PCR-based viral tests to more rapid, cheaper, and less sensitive tests. In a recent UCSF Grand Rounds interview he outlined his ideas and indicated (as I understand it) that the days immediately before the start of symptoms and a few days afterward were relatively non-infectious. After that, the viral shedding and the ability to infect someone was a LOT higher. I had been under the impression that the pre-symptomatic period and a few days after the start of symptoms was actually the MOST infectious period. Does anyone know which is correct? For the interview---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew2MEF4XX8w

Old 08-22-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I go into and out of states all the time, so do most in the US. Heck, I'm heading 3 states out in a month.

And you can't say we are an anomaly, every camp site is booked solid, while out driving it looks like caravans of RVs, 5th wheels and trailers, all different state licenses.
Data on gasoline consumption proves otherwise.
Quote:
Starting in mid-March 2020, transportation fuel demand in the United States decreased to record lows as a result of reduced economic activity and stay-at-home orders aimed at slowing the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease
https://www.oilandgas360.com/u-s-ref...nstream-units/

International travel is still restricted. The Canadian border is still closed.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:42 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Data on gasoline consumption proves otherwise.

https://www.oilandgas360.com/u-s-ref...nstream-units/

International travel is still restricted. The Canadian border is still closed.
Our auto insurance company has rebated some of our premiums twice because their payouts for accidents are down.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Totally moot point. Viruses undergo evolution and natural selection, just like cell-based life.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:13 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Quote:
This is not true where I live at. In fact I drove from Wyoming to Idaho on Sunday, then again to Idaho on Tuesday for an orthodontist appointment, then on Thursday from Wyoming through Idaho, to Utah and back again, and I was in Idaho again today.

On my travels I saw plates from all over, especially Florida, Colorado, Montana, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Where I live, close to two National Parks, there are plates from all over the U.S. People may be staying home in your neck of the woods, but where I live it's tourist season as usual, and more than normal too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events