Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 01:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times

Advertisements

Belarus or Bielarussia, depends how you spell it. Batko (Father) Lukashenko said "Ha ha, no fear of flu" and went to play hockey. All mass events in the country go as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 02:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
There are plenty of example of countries not putting everyone under house arrest.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:20 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
There is a lot of gray area between "everyone under house arrest" and no social distancing policies at all. Things will likely slowly slide away from the former, not some switch being turned and everything back to the way it was.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:12 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I can't open your NYT link - but -

I hope the USA does NOT follow their model, because I do not want the gov't. cybertracking me all over the map, then jailing me for a year if I break quarantine. Even now - at this very late stage - you can see that folks here would not tolerate that. With a mountain of evidence in front them - they STILL go outside, CDC be damned.

Threats of a fine or jailtime here would do one thing only: Clog up the courts and jails.

Most Americans I know would rather have the virus than submit to that kind of oversight.

I haven't seen anything from the CDC that says "Don't go outside"

They recommend staying home, but not specifically inside. Not for this. They recommend staying inside in the event of a radiological event.. So, if the bombs drop, OK.. Different situation.

Now.. Staying inside holds a different meaning for someone in NYC vs someone like me who lives on 4 acres.

The main point of their recommendation is to avoid people.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:30 PM

24,615 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There are plenty of example of countries not putting everyone under house arrest.
Yup, it's called common sense. You isolate the obese and elderly, and allow everyone else to go back to work.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Some American states are as big as comparable countries, CA the same size as Germany, TX much larger than France, but I have read that 11 states/countries in the U.S. are not shutting down, Mississippi, AL and OK just 3 of them.

I was down to Nogales, MX last week, and the shelves are teeming with toilet paper and paper towels, restaurants/bars still open, dental clinic's open, only a third of the people I saw on the streets wearing masks.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:15 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Sweden, at least for now.
Sweden has banned public gatherings, limited bars/restaurant operations and mandated distancing in table-spacing in those establishments. Individually, Swedes are widely following guidelines being issued in other countries. For example, Swedish Airlines has reduced staffing by 80% because almost no one is flying. And many events have been cancelled, such as national academic testing (the equivalent of SATs/ACTs), and domestic sports leagues and other sporting events have been postponed or cancelled.

So to say that Sweden isn't enacting significant responses to the pandemic is inaccurate. They are. Not quite to the level of some countries, surely, but still to a major degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
That's going to be a good experiment. If it works other countries can do the same thing and begin putting their economies back on track.
At present, Sweden has the 9th-highest rate of COVID-19 deaths per capita in the world, of all non-microstate countries. The United States is 12th; Sweden's per capita fatality rate is 150% that of the U.S.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I point this out because recently I've been hearing chatter about how in Sweden they're not doing any mitigation and very few people are dying from COVID-19. Both of these claims are simply inaccurate.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was down to Nogales, MX last week, and the shelves are teeming with toilet paper and paper towels, restaurants/bars still open, dental clinic's open, only a third of the people I saw on the streets wearing masks.
Guadalajara is totally different. Almost all restaurants closed except for takeout/delivery only, gyms and schools closed, non-essential businesses closed until April 30, traffic way down, mask usage depends on what part of town you're in.

Supermarkets are well stocked through, no problems getting any of the things that have become scarce in USA except for hand gel which comes and goes. I think most Mexicans by nature are a bit more laid back so planning ahead for something abstract (hoarding) isn't in their nature. Last supermarket we entered they had a guy checking temperatures on the way in.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:19 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, it's called common sense. You isolate the obese and elderly, and allow everyone else to go back to work.
That's actually not a common sense idea, nor is anyone actually debating that. You're regurgitating a talking point that is currently being used to get people to misidentify the problems and to attach themselves to the side of protecting the economy. The problem is that if we are going back to work, the "obese" which constitutes a lot more of this country than you seem to understand and the elderly are affected in ways you also haven't contemplated.

That's not the debate. The debate is whether we SIP for a time to reduce the use of ICU beds and resources to mitigate the loss of life for the aforementioned and others with comorbidities or if we protect the economy and see where the chips fall. The reason I think a lot of people favor the SIP method is because of the amount of healthcare workers, police officers, public servants, and any front-line essential person is already dying at a pretty awful pace regardless of their cormorbidities -- i.e. it's affecting younger people than we initially realized. Many of these people who are currently in the work force now don't want to be there, so you're asking more people to join them. These are skilled people. So, after the pandemic, you're going to need to have a run on people getting educated and trained in those fields. The repercussions of our decisions is really not very simple.

And who do you think obese people and elderly people live with? Do they all live on islands with one another who won't be affected by the general, "healthy" population contracting COVID? Clearly that's a pretty silly assumption.

But, back to the point, if you're going to weigh in one the debate, you should probably try to get the sides of the argument correct because otherwise you're out in left field while the two factions are duking it out on the infield grass. lol

Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
here is a report from 3 days ago.

A reminder that there are 54 nations in Africa. Rates will vary.

link. https://www.france24.com/en/20200314...irus-in-africa

The virus knows no boundaries.
That's from March 14, if no one noticed. First tip was that the number of cases and deaths are way off from "three days ago"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events