Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 04:01 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
That's definitely possible, and no, not a match to the murderer, that almost never happens, but a match to a relative. I was thinking the only way the murderer left any DNA behind was either by being cut or being scratched by a victim and having his skin under the nails. But then someone on here said that they can't pull DNA from skin left underneath nails. Is that correct?

I was thinking there would be a ton of DNA from all the people in the house that's why I thought it would be possible only if his skin was left underneath the victims fingernails, but if you can't get DNA from that, then that would only leave bloodstains if there were any left by him.

And if not, then they probably don't have his DNA which is really unfortunate. I know they definitely solved some cases using DNA matching (like with relatives not the murderer himself).

He could have worn a coverall kind of suit, and gloves as well, in which case there would be very little if any DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 04:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
That's definitely possible, and no, not a match to the murderer, that almost never happens, but a match to a relative. I was thinking the only way the murderer left any DNA behind was either by being cut or being scratched by a victim and having his skin under the nails. But then someone on here said that they can't pull DNA from skin left underneath nails. Is that correct?

I was thinking there would be a ton of DNA from all the people in the house that's why I thought it would be possible only if his skin was left underneath the victims fingernails, but if you can't get DNA from that, then that would only leave bloodstains if there were any left by him.

And if not, then they probably don't have his DNA which is really unfortunate. I know they definitely solved some cases using DNA matching (like with relatives not the murderer himself).
That's assuming that the killer's skin was exposed to the victims. He may have been wearing gloves/protective gear.

Any one of the visitors to that home during the days leading up to the murders could have relatives in Moscow. What next? Fingerpointing because some college kid has an aunt and uncle in Moscow? It's obvious that many of these students have local family connections, so they'd have to be absolutely certain they had the killer's DNA.

And as someone else said, this wouldn't fly with the residents. Most would refuse on principle, and then what?

Instances where they've "solved some cases using DNA matching..." happened because they had the perp's DNA in the first place, and it ended up matching a relative's on one of the Ancestry or 23-and-me sites. Not because they DNA'd a whole town and started pointing fingers based on family connections. And for all we know, they actually do have the perp's DNA and are working with one of these genealogy/database sites. That would be a best-case scenario, if there is one in this.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-04-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 04:15 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Sorry to say but the parents of the victims should step back away from the reporters and go grieve in private.
Nothing good would come out of them trying to get more information from the LEO and the FBI, leaking tidbits of the information - it is plain stupid.

Why would you let the killer know what the investigation knows?

Think their efforts are doing just the opposite - keep a killer in the shadows.
By stepping away and let everything to quiet down - will make the killer more relaxed, he could make a mistake - and be uncovered.

If I be LEO/FBI - I would totally put “the informing the parents†on a back burner - they are dangerous to a investigation.

The parents are just citizens like the rest of us - they don’t have a prerogative to the investigative information despite their sorrow and grief.
I don’t blame the parents one bit. Seems to me the parents may feel there’s a problem with the investigation, so they’re taking things in their own hands.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of a private effort, not government, like with DNA kits from ancestry or something like that. But yeah, the handicap is that the murderer is probably not even local. Yet the more people who do that DNA stuff though, the better chances there are of getting a match to a relative. I know some cases have been solved that way. But I definitely wasn't thinking that the police should be involved in the effort. That would be a waste of resources.
Honestly, do you think LE is going to hand over the DNA that they've already processed (or is currently being processed) from the crime scene to a "private effort" using DNA kits? What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-04-2022 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 04:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I don’t blame the parents one bit. Seems to me the parents may feel there’s a problem with the investigation, so they’re taking things in their own hands.
[quote=Basiliximab;64546119]I was thinking of a private effort, not government, like with DNA kits from ancestry or something like that. But yeah, the handicap is that the murderer is probably not even local. Yet the more people who do that DNA stuff though, the better chances there are of getting a match to a relative. I know some cases have been solved that way. But I definitely wasn't thinking that the police should be involved in the effort. That would be a waste of resources.[/QUOTE

I think most of these issues remain regardless of who spearheads the effort.]

Old 12-04-2022, 04:24 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think you'd feel differently if it was your kid. And you felt they were making mistakes. They deserve communication on what's going on.
No, I wouldn’t - it would be an immature, self-entitled behavior; yes, we understand that some people cope differently with their grief, but it isn’t a card to demand special treatment.

Their children are gone.
The perpetrator may or may not be found; let’s hope for the best.

It takes time to catch one, to find enough evidence, to build the solid case and to get it to trial.

The actions of the parents now are looking more and more detrimental to all of the above.

Just recently the police arrested and charged the guy for the brutal daytime murder and more of 2 innocent teenage girls on a short hike in a peaceful small town.

Took 5 years to arrest him. May take longer to get him to trial and hopefully convict.
Think what the girls parents went through…

With all the legal protections the defendants receive - one has to be very careful so the conviction stands.

Hope, the parents of the murdered students could realize that.
The killer could make a mistake once they get confident that arrest isn’t imminent; they may give themselves away, talk, etc.
It is a tedious job for LEO to look into everything…not an instantaneous…

I am heartbroken for the life lost - they had so much promise.

We need patience and hope that LEO is methodical - they don’t need distractions, pressure, political or any other ambitions to be thrown at them

Old 12-04-2022, 04:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Default See below

Quote:
Kaylee and Maddie were 21, Xana was 20, I think Ethan 26.
Ethan was 20.

Kaylee's ex bf was 26.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
He could have worn a coverall kind of suit, and gloves as well, in which case there would be very little if any DNA.
Oh, wow, didn't Michael Myers in Halloween wear black coveralls?

Old 12-04-2022, 04:32 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Honestly, do you think LE is going to hand over the DNA that they've already processed (or is currently being processed) from the crime scene to a "private effort" using DNA kits? What could possibly go wrong?
Oh gosh, no, not at all. Didn't even cross my mind for them to do that at all. My understanding is that they usually run the DNA with those private companies to see if they can get a match at all. I know for sure that is how one case was solved, with a match on ancestry.

But as someone said earlier, they probably don't have any DNA from the criminal, so there's probably not going to be anything done along that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Good catch. Here it is, at 1:38 in the video. Kaylee called 911, but she didn't sound scared or wasn't in fear, something to that affect.

WHAT?
Yes, I hear that too. I'd also like to know what that's about. I thought the calls or texts were to her ex-boyfriend before the timeframe of the murders.

I'm just really worried they don't have anything. And I understand the parents' frustration; I agree with Mr. Goncalves that they could share something which would not alter the investigation (he mentioned the alibis and I can't understand why they would not share that with him. Maybe someone can help to explain it).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 12-04-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh, no, not at all. Didn't even cross my mind for them to do that at all. My understanding is that they usually run the DNA with those private companies to see if they can get a match at all. I know for sure that is how one case was solved, with a match on ancestry.
OK, that's different than the private effort you were talking about that involved voluntary DNA contributions from townspeople.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events