Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 09:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

No should forget that Charles is 75 years old. The average life expectancy for a man in most places is under eighty.

Under the best circumstances, Charles is probably not going to be around for a long time.

I wish him well with his cancer treatment too, but I suspect William will be King much earlier in his life than Charles was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 10:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No should forget that Charles is 75 years old. The average life expectancy for a man in most places is under eighty.

Under the best circumstances, Charles is probably not going to be around for a long time.

I wish him well with his cancer treatment too, but I suspect William will be King much earlier in his life than Charles was.
And a fine king he will be, although I imagine he would've liked to enjoy his "private" life a while longer. I just hope they don't allow that weasel Harry to worm his way back in; poor Charles never had a backbone.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:28 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
What a kick in he pants for him, his family and those who support him/the British family.
Why? The cancer was discovered on time and by chance. He is very lucky. Had it not been for that surgery, the cancer might had been discovered once it had spread and there is nothing that can be done.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:01 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

It definitely has dropped. Two years in a row now. I wonder what is causing that? Obesity? Charles definitely does not that have that issue; I hope he makes it though this.

As to life expectancies - my dad lived until almost 94, he was on dialysis. My mom lived until 89, she also was on dialysis. They both opted to quit. ( I suspect my dad would still be here if we could have convinced him to keep going, but I understood his feelings. My mom just didn't want to go on after dad left. )
Dad was thin all his life. All of his siblings were the same, and all were long lived - he has one brother left that is 94 and doing great. His dad lived until 96 (and smoked every day of his adult life - crazy!).

Old 02-06-2024, 11:03 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Prostate; not prostrate. Poor luckless Charles! He just can't catch a break. Raised by nannies, lost the love of his life, endured a disastrous marriage, waited decades to start his job, king for a year, and now he'll probably have to abdicate. I hear Harry has scurried over there, presumably to get written back into the will. I'm a Charles fan and wish him well.
Who would that be? He is married to the "love of his life" from everything that I have read.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Why? The cancer was discovered on time and by chance. He is very lucky. Had it not been for that surgery, the cancer might had been discovered once it had spread and there is nothing that can be done.
We don't know that it was discovered "on time", just that it was discovered. I highly doubt they would disclose the discovery as 'too late'.

I'm not british so I don't really have a dog in this race, but William will probably be king soon enough, and I suspect he'll be a pretty good one.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:22 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I heard an interview with a doctor who said that the fact that they sent Charles home was a good sign and that it sounds like a treatable cancer. If he had had something more serious they would have kept him in the hospital while he underwent treatment because he is the King.

They are probably waiting to say what type of cancer it is and how advanced it is until they get all of the tests back. That makes sense.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:33 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I heard an interview with a doctor who said that the fact that they sent Charles home was a good sign and that it sounds like a treatable cancer. If he had had something more serious they would have kept him in the hospital while he underwent treatment because he is the King.

They are probably waiting to say what type of cancer it is and how advanced it is until they get all of the tests back. That makes sense.

I am sure they will offer the best treatments including drugs as well as possible chemotherapy and radiotherapy which are often carried out in an out-patient setting.

Old 02-06-2024, 02:23 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I actually more think they're just not saying what kind it is out of privacy at the moment.

After all, you don't treat cancer without knowing what kind it is, and.. He's starting treatment.

You don't use testicular cancer drugs on lung cancer... You know what kind of cancer before you treat it. And, just because it's in one place doesn't mean that's where it started.

It is rather curious that they announced the prostate procedure, but.. The location of the cancer seems to be getting the hush-hush treatment. I'd say no matter what, someone in his position, being as open as possible is for the best. Not only to help the press and all just leave him alone but also to serve as an example to others about having testing done and what to look for.

Again, I presume bladder cancer as it can resemble prostate problems, which we know he just had a procedure on. Sounds like they went in to do that and.. "Oh crap!" discovered that the prostate wasn't the problem or wasn't the ONLY problem.

Bladder cancer isn't overly rare or anything, but.. not a whole lot of people you can point to who had it. Sinatra did but died of a heart attack. The only one that I knew of without searching was the professional wrestler John Tenta (Earthquake, Golga, a few other gimmicks).. On a search, Jack Lemmon, Telly Savalas, Andy Williams, Hubert Humphrey, Dominick Dunne, and Allen Ludden all turned up as having died from it.

Think there might be something of a stigma to it. Not sure why.. I mean, it can happen to anyone. But, as with many things, once you get anything that involves the area south of the belt and north of the legs.. People tend to get uncomfortable talking about it.

Old 02-06-2024, 02:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
If they caught it in time, Charles could have a really long life. Both of his parents made it to almost 100 and his grandmother did.

It's kind of interesting that three members of the royal family have been ill lately. Sarah Ferguson may not officially count. She has had breast cancer and now melanoma. Kate's condition is undisclosed and may be a hysterectomy or cancer. They have all been a pretty healthy group up until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events